Wireless Charging

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-22, 11:41 PM
RetireeZ
10th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Angry with Poorly Implemented Technology

Originally Posted by falcontech
FYI, I did not mutilate the case. You don't have to get pissy about my post as it was only a suggestion. Apparently, looking at your other post, you have great anger that the QI charger is not working to your standards and regret purchasing it on your vehicle. Take a deep breath and relax, there is always a solution to a problem.
Falcontech - You are probably right, I was pissy. Perhaps being locked out of my car because the fob failed and needing to get a ride home to retrieve my second fob, reeturn to the car and finally to return home was a major contributor. This on the eve of my 5,000 first service. Oh - my dealer thinks the charging pad is working properly and has no explaaination of why my key fob needed a replacement battery after 6 months of use. Pissy - for sure! Didn't mean to attack you.
Old 09-24-22, 08:06 AM
falcontech
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Don’t sweat the Small Stuff.

Originally Posted by RetireeZ
Falcontech - You are probably right, I was pissy. Perhaps being locked out of my car because the fob failed and needing to get a ride home to retrieve my second fob, reeturn to the car and finally to return home was a major contributor. This on the eve of my 5,000 first service. Oh - my dealer thinks the charging pad is working properly and has no explaaination of why my key fob needed a replacement battery after 6 months of use. Pissy - for sure! Didn't mean to attack you.
I too just took my NX in for the first 5000 mi service and mentioned the charging pad not working as expected and was told it works if you remove the iPhone case. I have contacted Lexus Mother Ship and they are investigating, so they say.
Old 09-27-22, 04:12 AM
conway9226
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have one, the phone gets very hot every time I use it, and I don't use it much.
Old 09-27-22, 08:01 AM
blueless
Pit Crew

Received 91 Likes on 60 Posts
Lightbulb Brilliant, or stupid?

Originally Posted by falcontech
RetireeZ
FYI, I did not mutilate the case. You don't have to get pissy about my post as it was only a suggestion. Apparently, looking at your other post, you have great anger that the QI charger is not working to your standards and regret purchasing it on your vehicle. Take a deep breath and relax, there is always a solution to a problem.
And here I was, about to suggest "mutilating" the charging tray itself. Imagine the wrath!
Any way, I was thinking, what if it were possible to make an indentation, or hole, on the tray to match the location of a phone's bulging camera lens? The goal being to allow the phone to lay flat on the charger. Done in a aesthetically pleasing manner, of course.
Old 10-16-22, 10:33 AM
RetireeZ
10th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default My Solution

Originally Posted by blueless
And here I was, about to suggest "mutilating" the charging tray itself. Imagine the wrath!
Any way, I was thinking, what if it were possible to make an indentation, or hole, on the tray to match the location of a phone's bulging camera lens? The goal being to allow the phone to lay flat on the charger. Done in a aesthetically pleasing manner, of course.
I have given up on the charging pad and now have a UDB to lightning cable in my car for when a charge is needed. The UDB port does not charge fast so I plan to try the USB-C cable to see if a faster charge can be achieved.
Old 10-16-22, 11:11 AM
Dkaplan
Intermediate

Received 136 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by RetireeZ
I have given up on the charging pad and now have a UDB to lightning cable in my car for when a charge is needed. The UDB port does not charge fast so I plan to try the USB-C cable to see if a faster charge can be achieved.
This works perfectly… I 3m-taped the puck to the charging pad.

Old 10-17-22, 07:48 PM
CaptAngry
Pit Crew

Received 80 Likes on 45 Posts

Anyone figure out if there is a fuse dedicated to the wireless charger? I am very seriously considering disabling it and adding a MagSafe puck. Probably 3D print something to make it slightly more elegant
The following users liked this post:
nxbacon (12-14-22)
Old 10-17-22, 07:54 PM
Datanator
Driver

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptAngry
Anyone figure out if there is a fuse dedicated to the wireless charger? I am very seriously considering disabling it and adding a MagSafe puck. Probably 3D print something to make it slightly more elegant
if you 3D print some kind of holder or cradle please post photos - I for one would pay you to make me one.
Dkaplan (10-18-22)
Old 10-19-22, 07:59 AM
CaptAngry
Pit Crew

I did a little digging and experimenting. I couldn't find an obvious unobtrusive way of disabling the built-in Qi charger, BUT it does not activate w/ a MagSafe puck directly on top of it. So I think my next step is to sketch out the dimensions of the tray and see if I can make a plate that fits a MagSafe charger in as thin a profile as possible.
Datanator (10-19-22)
Old 10-20-22, 04:28 AM
klwatkins
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an iPhone 12 with an OtterBox case and it charges fine. No issues.
Old 10-20-22, 06:14 AM
CaptAngry
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by klwatkins
I have an iPhone 12 with an OtterBox case and it charges fine. No issues.
So you are saying you get charging 100% of the time with this combo? It doesn't start charging, then start the orange flashing after ~30 seconds?
Old 10-20-22, 06:22 AM
klwatkins
3rd Gear

Correct. I’ve had no problems. Perhaps it has to with the new iOS I recently downloaded? I’m running iOS 16. Not sure if that has anything to do with it.
Old 10-20-22, 06:41 AM
CaptAngry
Pit Crew

That is interesting for sure. Do you have the normal 12 or the Pro? I had a 12 Pro running iOS 16 and it still gave me issues. I now have a 14 Pro (running iOS 16) and have the same issues. The theory is that the MagSafe magnets combined w/ the camera bump are one of the main causes of the issue
Old 10-20-22, 06:47 AM
klwatkins
3rd Gear

I have the iPhone 12, not the Pro. I think a lot of it depends on the case. I use the OtterBox Defender case. It alleviates the camera bump.
Old 10-21-22, 08:16 AM
SCS
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pixel 7 pro wireless charging issues

Hi all,
I just got the Google Pixel 7 Pro and it doesn't wireless charge properly due to the camera bump I'm assuming. It slides around a lot too, so I bought a case that helped with that, but it still loses connection. Any fixes or should I just use the USB-C?

Quick Reply: Wireless Charging