NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Wireless Charging

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-22, 08:17 AM
StraySheep
Pit Crew

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Wireless Charging

I read from owners that the NX's wireless charging tray does not work with phones with camera bumps. ie. iphone 12, 13, Pixel 6, etc...

Is there any solution to make the NX wireless charging work as intended?
Or just have to make sure you have a flat back phone with wireless charging in order to make use of it.
Also, if you have a small phone, will the phone stay in it's place on the try to keep charging wirelessly?

Hate to have a nice feature in the car but cannot make use of it because of the camera bump.
Old 03-08-22, 08:45 AM
chuuck1e
Pit Crew

Received 96 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by StraySheep
I read from owners that the NX's wireless charging tray does not work with phones with camera bumps. ie. iphone 12, 13, Pixel 6, etc...

Is there any solution to make the NX wireless charging work as intended?
Or just have to make sure you have a flat back phone with wireless charging in order to make use of it.
Also, if you have a small phone, will the phone stay in it's place on the try to keep charging wirelessly?

Hate to have a nice feature in the car but cannot make use of it because of the camera bump.
My wife's iPhone XR works fine with the wireless charging tray. It has one camera bump, and is in a plastic case with a small lip. The lip of the case, not the camera, sits flat on the tray.
Old 03-08-22, 10:26 AM
ctripps2k
Pit Crew

Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts

I have an iPhone 13 Pro and it will only work without the case. While using without the case the phone will slide while driving so the wireless charger is basically useless for iPhone 12 or 13
The following 2 users liked this post by ctripps2k:
gb350h (04-07-22), MAFlyBoy (10-23-22)
Old 03-08-22, 02:00 PM
Kimberly88
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

I have the IPhone 12 max and specifically purchased a MagSafe case for my phone when my NX was delivered. I was told, by the phone case company, that a MagSafe case could not be used with the wireless charger in the NX. It works great without a case, unless the phone slides around while driving.
Old 03-08-22, 03:16 PM
ctripps2k
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Kimberly88
I have the IPhone 12 max and specifically purchased a MagSafe case for my phone when my NX was delivered. I was told, by the phone case company, that a MagSafe case could not be used with the wireless charger in the NX. It works great without a case, unless the phone slides around while driving.
The wireless charger in the Lexus is a Qi charger. A MagSafe case should have no bearing on whether it charges or not. I have a number of Qi wireless chargers at home they charge my iPhone 13 Pro flawlessly with a MagSafe case on it. The problem with the Lexus charger is that it is under powered and with a camera bump and a case, the phone is too far away to be charged. Without the case, the camera bump prevents the phone from laying flat on the rubber pad therefore is slides all over the place. A very poor design with respect to iPhone 12 and 13.
Old 03-08-22, 04:07 PM
Kimberly88
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ctripps2k
The wireless charger in the Lexus is a Qi charger. A MagSafe case should have no bearing on whether it charges or not. I have a number of Qi wireless chargers at home they charge my iPhone 13 Pro flawlessly with a MagSafe case on it. The problem with the Lexus charger is that it is under powered and with a camera bump and a case, the phone is too far away to be charged. Without the case, the camera bump prevents the phone from laying flat on the rubber pad therefore is slides all over the place. A very poor design with respect to iPhone 12 and 13.
If you research using a MagSafe on a Qi wireless charger you’ll find that the power is significantly less vs charging a MagSafe case on a MagSafe charging pad. The Lexus charging pad is not limited to just MagSafe cases, according to my salesman, and is also effecting android phones that normally charge through cases as well. Although I do agree that the design is flawed, the charging pad works perfectly fine without a case; however, the phone will move if I make sharp turns. It has not been much of an issue otherwise and doesn’t happen every time I use it. I did purchase a short C-Type port to charge my phone when I don’t feel like taking the case off.

Edit: Apparently the new 2022 LX has a much smaller charging pad. A note ultra won’t even fit.

Last edited by Kimberly88; 03-08-22 at 04:14 PM.
Old 03-08-22, 05:10 PM
ctripps2k
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Kimberly88
If you research using a MagSafe on a Qi wireless charger you’ll find that the power is significantly less vs charging a MagSafe case on a MagSafe charging pad. The Lexus charging pad is not limited to just MagSafe cases, according to my salesman, and is also effecting android phones that normally charge through cases as well. Although I do agree that the design is flawed, the charging pad works perfectly fine without a case; however, the phone will move if I make sharp turns. It has not been much of an issue otherwise and doesn’t happen every time I use it. I did purchase a short C-Type port to charge my phone when I don’t feel like taking the case off.

Edit: Apparently the new 2022 LX has a much smaller charging pad. A note ultra won’t even fit.
If it won’t charge an android through a case then that just reinforces my opinion that The charger is severely under powered.
Old 03-09-22, 12:55 PM
chuuck1e
Pit Crew

I have an iPhone 13 Pro and it will only work without the case. While using without the case the phone will slide while driving so the wireless charger is basically useless for iPhone 12 or 13
Is your case pretty thick? My wife's iPhone XR has a case with a thin clear plastic back, and it charges fine on the wireless charger pad, and does not slide around. My old Android phone does not support wireless charging, so I am planning to get a new iPhone. It would not be good if it will not work with the pad in the car.
Old 03-09-22, 01:51 PM
ctripps2k
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by chuuck1e
Is your case pretty thick? My wife's iPhone XR has a case with a thin clear plastic back, and it charges fine on the wireless charger pad, and does not slide around. My old Android phone does not support wireless charging, so I am planning to get a new iPhone. It would not be good if it will not work with the pad in the car.
The iPhone XR does not have the huge camera bump that the iPhone 12 pro and 13 Pro have. That combined with a case of any thickness is preventing the iPhone from charging. I guess the engineers didn’t have the latest iPhones to perform any testing with.
Old 03-09-22, 02:35 PM
danieljchu
Rookie

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

We've had ours for just a couple weeks, but our iPhone 12's with a iPhone magsafe case did the same - charges briefly before the light flashing. So we took it out of the case and it did seem to perform better, but in the end it is not reliable so I just placed a Apple magsafe charger with 3M strips to keep it in place on the wireless charge pad - defeats the purpose of having the wireless charging pad, but had a ProClip in my previous car with this magsafe charger so figured I could put it to use. And I can still open the compartment with the iPhone on the wireless charger.

The following 2 users liked this post by danieljchu:
gb350h (04-07-22), unkind2cat (03-09-22)
Old 03-09-22, 08:06 PM
chuuck1e
Pit Crew

The iPhone XR does not have the huge camera bump that the iPhone 12 pro and 13 Pro have. That combined with a case of any thickness is preventing the iPhone from charging. I guess the engineers didn’t have the latest iPhones to perform any testing with.
Thanks for the information. I knew the new iPhones had more cameras, but did not realize that they stuck out further. I checked out pictures on Apple's website, and now understand the issue. So it looks like the only new iPhone that may work is the SE. The one bump on that looks similar to the XR.
Old 03-10-22, 05:35 AM
ctripps2k
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by danieljchu
We've had ours for just a couple weeks, but our iPhone 12's with a iPhone magsafe case did the same - charges briefly before the light flashing. So we took it out of the case and it did seem to perform better, but in the end it is not reliable so I just placed a Apple magsafe charger with 3M strips to keep it in place on the wireless charge pad - defeats the purpose of having the wireless charging pad, but had a ProClip in my previous car with this magsafe charger so figured I could put it to use. And I can still open the compartment with the iPhone on the wireless charger.

so essentially you paid $500 for a nonfunctional tray option to support a solution that you had to pay extra for. Nice
The following 3 users liked this post by ctripps2k:
Lexus22563 (03-14-22), Nx350fspt (03-15-22), RetireeZ (06-18-22)
Old 03-14-22, 10:47 AM
Yoogert
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I have an iPhone13 pro with a think case on and an iPhone 11 with a slightly thicker case and both charge alright. I do have some sliding that knock the phone off the ‘sweet spot.’
Old 03-14-22, 12:28 PM
Lexus22563
Intermediate

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Hopefully Lexus will issue a recall and fix this charging tray.
Old 03-14-22, 05:05 PM
ctripps2k
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Yoogert
I have an iPhone13 pro with a think case on and an iPhone 11 with a slightly thicker case and both charge alright. I do have some sliding that knock the phone off the ‘sweet spot.’

which case do you have for the 13? Link?

Quick Reply: Wireless Charging