NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Newer, later production NXs with same issues?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-22, 04:02 PM
Peterun
Pit Crew

Received 87 Likes on 39 Posts

Hi gsckoor….Thanks so much for your concern. Much appreciated. Suffice to say, I did not lose a cent…and “surrendered” the NX with almost 2,000 miles. I received numerous apologies from Lexus….and corporate described the NX launch in the USA as “a colossal failure.” A photo of the check from Lexus/Toyota is below.

I see you’re at it again midcow. Such a lack of empathy and compassion from you. No business person would place themselves in the 99% you determined that would be happy to have the NX with its many problems. I never considered myself “lucky” as you say, to own this vehicle. Just know sir, you’re not in a position to assess anyone’s threshold…and place labels on them.

Gsckoor: I’ve been offered 3 different NX450h vehicles since the agreement on the buy back. I took the check….but I’ve decided to give it another shot…hoping for the best. My Cloudburst/Black arrives in 3 to 4 weeks.

The following users liked this post:
gcskoor (03-22-22)
Old 03-22-22, 04:05 PM
nitrolada
Pit Crew

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by ctripps2k
I am very surprised that they have not come out with a software update, either over the year or via the website for download. As these cars have been available since December with no updates, I am not very optimistic about them doing “regular” updates.
Took acura 2 years to roll our update to bring Android auto to rdx and bmw was similar for a lot of things

It's not critical and really pretty low in terms of importance for them I would think for something that doesn't affect performance, drivability or safety so they likely have other things that are higher priority
Old 03-22-22, 05:20 PM
chuuck1e
Pit Crew

Received 96 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Peterun
and corporate described the NX launch in the USA as “a colossal failure.”
What was the colossal failure that is being referred to? I have not read much bad about the new NX. The only major issue I am aware of is a lack of vehicles, which is impacting all manufacturers/models.
Old 03-22-22, 05:40 PM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

I must be lucky. No issues other than stupid user issues. A little too many nannies for this old guy. Forgot how well a car/suv handles compared to a big truck. Going around corners is once again fun. Getting used to the engine noise will come in time, Best Lexus out of the four I've had. Most of all my wife likes it and isn't worried I'm going to crash thru the back of the garage. Never did with the truck, but it was tight.

Hope I never see the dealer, till it's time to trade it in. Fingers crossed.
The following 2 users liked this post by FastFord:
dklanecky1 (03-23-22), lsft (03-22-22)
Old 03-22-22, 06:43 PM
lsft
Racer

Received 613 Likes on 414 Posts

Hi gsckoor….Thanks so much for your concern. Much appreciated. Suffice to say, I did not lose a cent…and “surrendered” the NX with almost 2,000 miles. I received numerous apologies from Lexus….and corporate described the NX launch in the USA as “a colossal failure.” A photo of the check from Lexus/Toyota is below.

I see you’re at it again midcow. Such a lack of empathy and compassion from you. No business person would place themselves in the 99% you determined that would be happy to have the NX with its many problems. I never considered myself “lucky” as you say, to own this vehicle. Just know sir, you’re not in a position to assess anyone’s threshold…and place labels on them.

Gsckoor: I’ve been offered 3 different NX450h vehicles since the agreement on the buy back. I took the check….but I’ve decided to give it another shot…hoping for the best. My Cloudburst/Black arrives in 3 to 4 weeks.

I hope your new one will have less problems. I'm finally getting mine in a few days. I hope i don't your problems, but i don't go on the phone that frequent when driving.
Old 03-22-22, 06:55 PM
Peterun
Pit Crew

Congratulations FastFord….Wonderful to hear. Encouraging to me. Perhaps this forum has its high share of folk with problems with the NX? The factory service tech from Corporate in Irvine called the launch “a colossal failure” and he knew all about my vehicle’s issues from the others who were keeping him busy …. And frustrated. It’s a great driving car…but it’s unsafe if you are in need of a phone…and you make calls and use CarPlay to retrieve and dictate messages and like to lock in a myriad of settings including radio stations. I’d love to hear that my NX issues were mere quirks…but this is not the case. The only way to semi manage my NX was to totally eliminate all profiles and rely on “guest.” Doing that, eliminates almost all services, including factory nav.. But still, in spite of these efforts, the problems would reappear…somewhat less often. Rebooting, by pushing in the volume **** for 5 or 10 seconds sometimes helped. Works for a random period…and then lapses into failure…losing most settings.

And yes, it’s unfair to expect any tech savvy 75 year old to endure this, beyond 5 separate visits to service which included leaving my iPhone 13 at the dealership.

Last edited by Peterun; 03-22-22 at 07:02 PM.
The following users liked this post:
FastFord (03-23-22)
Old 03-22-22, 07:51 PM
ct6978
Intermediate

Received 172 Likes on 100 Posts

Peterun,

I'm curious why you'd get another car when the various issues you've described (profile loading, phone connectivity and related CarPlay issues) exist across the line and do not, as of yet, have any fixes? I've experienced each of these issues myself, and have even gotten irritated a few times myself. I personally feel the plusses far and away outweigh the issues and feel lucky to have gotten the car given all of the supply chain issues, but you obviously felt differently, so you gave it back.

Why get another one? Why not a Mercedes, I seem to remember you previously mentioned how much you wanted one. If you're looking for another plug in hybrid, there are a lot of interesting options out there.

Old 03-22-22, 08:08 PM
lsft
Racer

Received 613 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by ct6978
Peterun,

I'm curious why you'd get another car when the various issues you've described (profile loading, phone connectivity and related CarPlay issues) exist across the line and do not, as of yet, have any fixes? I've experienced each of these issues myself, and have even gotten irritated a few times myself. I personally feel the plusses far and away outweigh the issues and feel lucky to have gotten the car given all of the supply chain issues, but you obviously felt differently, so you gave it back.

Why get another one? Why not a Mercedes, I seem to remember you previously mentioned how much you wanted one. If you're looking for another plug in hybrid, there are a lot of interesting options out there.
I agree. There is a new Volvo with about the same EV range. Cost might be a bit higher, but you'll be getting an Google infotainment system.
Old 03-22-22, 08:57 PM
gcskoor
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Great! That was whaat I thought. It seems Lexus treated this situation well. Someone posted to that seemed to imply you had lost a lot of money. Or would lose a lot money.

I think you made the right choice. I never had a Volvo, but had my fling with the German imports. And still have bad taste in my mouth. And lately a Honda that I wish I could have gotten a check- or even a fix, with they never did. Toyota is not perfect, but I truly think it is the best shots still around today. And hopefully Lexus with their extra profit margin keeps their good reputation. And so it seems the are trying to do. I am encouraged.

Last edited by gcskoor; 03-22-22 at 09:14 PM.
Old 03-22-22, 09:08 PM
Peterun
Pit Crew

No. I lost not one cent. All monies were returned, including tax and plate/registration fees. My law team wanted to go after Lexus for the inconvenience and time taken from me. Very routine for all monies to be returned…and then another 100% of the vehicle cost as penalty. In fact, oftentimes they receive 200% after the lemonization is completed. Not what I do though. I thought that Lexus handled this very well, overall.
I have other cars…and my hubby has a RAV Prime XSE which has been flawless. Not sure what to do. I have three weeks to decide. I like the GLE350 a lot…but I’m no fan of its inefficiency, especially at this time.
Old 03-23-22, 07:23 AM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Received 2,280 Likes on 1,049 Posts

If I may, I'd suggest that you remove this picture since you did an abysmal job blurring your address, and I can see that you don't have many fans on this forum. Sounds like you're setting yourself up for "Swatting" or hate mail.
Old 03-23-22, 09:41 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 725 Likes on 531 Posts

Originally Posted by TipsyTonio
If I may, I'd suggest that you remove this picture since you did an abysmal job blurring your address, and I can see that you don't have many fans on this forum. Sounds like you're setting yourself up for "Swatting" or hate mail.
I don’t think that’s a fair characterization. I think the members here are excited and enthusiastic about this new model, and yes they are very disappointed or perhaps frustrated with the issues peterun has experienced. I would hope that most of us are able to stay focused on the issues and not the person or messenger. I know there have been a few negative remarks, but I think most of us are able to recognize those for what they are. We are all enthusiastic about our cars or we wouldn’t be here so we are all disappointed when people have serious issues. Some people just don’t respond to their disappointment very well.
Old 03-23-22, 09:44 AM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Received 2,280 Likes on 1,049 Posts

Originally Posted by TechNut
I don’t think that’s a fair characterization. I think the members here are excited and enthusiastic about this new model, and yes they are very disappointed or perhaps frustrated with the issues peterun has experienced. I would hope that most of us are able to stay focused on the issues and not the person or messenger. I know there have been a few negative remarks, but I think most of us are able to recognize those for what they are. We are all enthusiastic about our cars or we wouldn’t be here so we are all disappointed when people have serious issues. Some people just don’t respond to their disappointment very well.
This is why I said “many” and not “any”
I for one totally get his situation. When you drop that kind of money you expect everything to be figured out, and not for the manufacturer to use you as a test mule. He was more than accommodating by even leaving his phone with them. But I’ve also been following the situation since it started and know he’s riled up some people who are present in this thread.
Old 03-23-22, 10:08 AM
Peterun
Pit Crew

Thanks so much for your understanding, TechNut. I didn’t realize how fragile a few of those in this group are. I suppose “shoot the messenger” is at play here. I tried to help, shed light, and give guidance. I had also hoped for a bit of support. Clearly, I failed.
Old 03-23-22, 10:47 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 725 Likes on 531 Posts

Thanks so much for your understanding, TechNut. I didn’t realize how fragile a few of those in this group are. I suppose “shoot the messenger” is at play here. I tried to help, shed light, and give guidance. I had also hoped for a bit of support. Clearly, I failed.
I would also be frustrated to be used as a test mule, as I think TipsyTonio correctly stated. In my experience with Lexus, it seems that their data systems have been their weakest link. The only hardware failure I have had was a leaky filling with water from the car wash, but I have experienced random failures over the years with their app. I don’t use their peripheral electronic systems to the degree that you do so I can overlook some of these inconsistencies, but if I needed it to support my livelihood it would be entirely different. I think most of us understand your plight and appreciate your feedback - even if it isn’t what we want to hear…

Quick Reply: Newer, later production NXs with same issues?