NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Profiles

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-22, 09:17 AM
Birdman325
Rookie

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Profiles

Some of you may know this already but it took me a long time (and a bunch of YouTube videos) to actually figure this out so I thought I would post it here.

Picked up my (my wife's) new NX 350H yesterday. When setting up driver profiles here are a couple of things I learned (in no particular order).

-Download and install the Lexus app on your phone. You need this for setting up your driver profile. Even though this will primarily be my wife's car, I picked it up from the dealership and set up myself as the "Primary Driver" as this gives me control and functionality through the app. (In my wife's case she is not going to use the app.) Also, when "Adding Vehicle", do not add the VIN manually. The 2022 NX needs to have the vehicle added through scanning the QR code that shows up on the car screen.
-In my car (Lux package), there are 3 pre-set buttons on the driver's door. Each Profile can have 3 different settings. So for example, if my Driver Profile is active, I can set 3 different seat / steering wheel etc positions and then when someone else's profile is active, they can also have 3 different pre-sets saved. (Alternatively, if someone does not want to make their own profile, you could just save seat / steering wheel etc settings to one of the 3 buttons on the main driver's profile).
-When you are looking to set up another Driver Profile (this is what really took me a while to figure out), that Driver must have an account set up with the Lexus App. I was trying to add a Driver Profile for my wife (as that would then save all of her music pre-sets under Favourites etc) but every time I tried to add a new profile it asked me to login and I logged in with Lexus App login, it just took me back to my profile. You first need to set up the other driver with their own login and PW on the Lexus App, and then you can use that information when you are prompted to add a new Driver Profile. You don't need to Add Vehicle for this second profile.
- The term "Primary Driver" was confusing to me. There can only be one "Primary Driver", but at least in my case, even though my wife will be the Primary Driver (meaning she will be driving the car most often), the reference to "Primary Driver" in this context is to the person who will have "control" over the Lexus App, trial services, etc. So I set myself as the "Primary Driver" even though my wife will be driving the car most often and her profile will be the one that is the "most active".

Hope this is not too confusing, it is easier to understand once you sit in front of the screen in the car, but the biggest frustration I had was trying to add a New Profile for my wife before she had an account on the Lexus App.

Thx
The following 6 users liked this post by Birdman325:
1969Z28 (01-26-24), blueless (09-27-22), gamma742 (01-20-24), L1XUSBABY (03-22-22), lsft (03-22-22), SdeGat (01-18-24) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-22-22, 11:44 AM
L1XUSBABY
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Good tips! Cant wait to use it on mine.
Old 03-22-22, 08:22 PM
ct6978
Intermediate

Received 171 Likes on 100 Posts

One additional tip. You can chose to have your phone, your key, or both, be what identifies you to the car. You can link/unlink/relink these via settings. I simplified our setup by only using the keys (one for my wife, one for me) and not using our phones as identifiers. I've been pleasantly surprised how often the car knows which one of us is driving regardless of who gets in first, so I suspect it has identification zones, although it has gotten things wrong occasionally. This doesn't affect using your phone via bluetooth or CarPlay/Android Auto.

Locking the car, unlocking the driver's door and getting in first always seems to work, and I always get the 'Welcome My Name" message when I get in that way, so that seems foolproof, but we don't generally lock the car in the garage, so that isn't often. When it gets the person wrong, particularly during network issues or low connectivity, it takes some effort to switch to the correct profile, which can be annoying.

I also set different theme colors for each profile, including guest so we can easily tell who the car thinks is driving at any given moment.

Finally, in addition to the 3 set memory settings per profile (total of 9) the car also remembers the last driver's last position and (annoyingly) tries to return to that position for the 'exit assist' function, just like in every other Lexus with this feature....but with profiles, I now expect the car to not do that, so I get irritated whenever I get crushed by my wife's last seat position.
The following 2 users liked this post by ct6978:
Infusion (09-28-22), mcomer (09-24-22)
Old 09-23-22, 07:13 PM
Jaybird6
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same vehicle as the original poster: 2022 NX350H. I recently purchased a new IPhone and had previously linked my old IPhone with the Lexus app as the Primary Driver. Have been having various issues with the infotainment system which, according to the dealership’s tech expert, will eventually be corrected by a software update (currently unavailable).

I now have an issue related to the purchase of the new IPhone and the fact that both IPhones appear as Bluetooth devices under the Settings in my car. I want to replace the old phone with the new one and have attempted to follow the steps for linking the new phone and assigning it to the Primary driver so no settings will be lost. But I have been unsuccessful.

I’m hoping someone (perhaps the original poster?) can advise me on how to safely make this transition.

Thanks!
Old 09-23-22, 07:39 PM
NguyenAT
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just pair new phone to your current profile then unpair your old phone.
Old 09-23-22, 10:43 PM
Jaybird6
7th Gear

Originally Posted by NguyenAT
Just pair new phone to your current profile then unpair your old phone.
Thanks but already tried that. The old phone is still there and listed as Primary.
Old 09-24-22, 06:58 AM
Randyp1234
Advanced

Received 236 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaybird6
I have the same vehicle as the original poster: 2022 NX350H. I recently purchased a new IPhone and had previously linked my old IPhone with the Lexus app as the Primary Driver. Have been having various issues with the infotainment system which, according to the dealership’s tech expert, will eventually be corrected by a software update (currently unavailable).

I now have an issue related to the purchase of the new IPhone and the fact that both IPhones appear as Bluetooth devices under the Settings in my car. I want to replace the old phone with the new one and have attempted to follow the steps for linking the new phone and assigning it to the Primary driver so no settings will be lost. But I have been unsuccessful.

I’m hoping someone (perhaps the original poster?) can advise me on how to safely make this transition.

Thanks!
Isn't there an option somewhere in the profile setup screens on the car to delete the phone?
Old 09-25-22, 11:40 AM
Jaybird6
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Randyp1234
Isn't there an option somewhere in the profile setup screens on the car to delete the phone?
Yes, but when I go to delete it, it warns me that all my settings will be deleted as well because my old phone was the Primary. Also, I keep having to put in my pin because a pop-up asks me to do that when I use CarPlay with new phone.

Are you suggesting it’s a good idea to risk deleting all the settings? Thinking of going to the dealership to try that with them in case everything needs re-installing.
Old 09-25-22, 12:44 PM
Randyp1234
Advanced

Yes, but when I go to delete it, it warns me that all my settings will be deleted as well because my old phone was the Primary. Also, I keep having to put in my pin because a pop-up asks me to do that when I use CarPlay with new phone.

Are you suggesting it’s a good idea to risk deleting all the settings? Thinking of going to the dealership to try that with them in case everything needs re-installing.
I've not done that for a "primary" phone so can't give any advise about that. . I also don't recall tying a phone to a profile, we tie the fobs to our profiles. Honestly, for us, this whole profile thing is a PITA and I'm glad I don't drive the thing.
The following users liked this post:
DMRDSM (08-02-24)
Old 09-25-22, 01:29 PM
ct6978
Intermediate

You shouldn't have to delete everything....first make sure your key fob is linked to your profile. There's a setting in your profile that says 'link key' or something like that. Take your key fob with you into the car and make sure the other 2 fobs are at a good distance away. Then turn on the car and make sure your profile is loaded (manually with the pin or otherwise). You then go to the profile settings and if the link key setting is already on, turn it off and wait for a minute. Then turn it on again and your profile will be linked to that key. You can now delete your old phone.

Your settings are saved with your Lexus account on their servers, worst case if you delete your profile from the car entirely you just need to sign into the car again. Doesn't take very long and nothing to load to the car.
Old 09-25-22, 04:08 PM
Jaybird6
7th Gear

Oh, thanks for the very detailed advice and reassurance. I’ll give it a try!
Old 09-27-22, 01:49 PM
Jaybird6
7th Gear

Originally Posted by ct6978
You shouldn't have to delete everything....first make sure your key fob is linked to your profile. There's a setting in your profile that says 'link key' or something like that. Take your key fob with you into the car and make sure the other 2 fobs are at a good distance away. Then turn on the car and make sure your profile is loaded (manually with the pin or otherwise). You then go to the profile settings and if the link key setting is already on, turn it off and wait for a minute. Then turn it on again and your profile will be linked to that key. You can now delete your old phone.

Your settings are saved with your Lexus account on their servers, worst case if you delete your profile from the car entirely youjust need to sign into the car again. Doesn't take very long and nothing to load to the car.

Thank you! I was able to delete the old phone using this method. It asked me to reset the pin, which I did, so hopefully all will be (mostly) well now until Lexus provides the software update to fix our other intermittent computer issues.
Old 09-27-22, 02:56 PM
Jaybird6
7th Gear

Thank you! I was able to delete the old phone using this method. It asked me to reset the pin, which I did, so hopefully all will be (mostly) well now until Lexus provides the software update to fix our other intermittent computer issues.
So guess what? Now it keeps popping up with an “Enter Pin” message. I have to keep cancelling it because the “reset” option is grayscale and can’t be selected. Occasionally I click the grayscale reset anyway and it gives the option to send a link if I’ve forgotten my pin and want to change it. Should I do that? My profile is still being detected but it’s annoying to keep hitting cancel when the “Enter Pin” window keeps popping up!
Old 09-27-22, 04:07 PM
ct6978
Intermediate

So guess what? Now it keeps popping up with an “Enter Pin” message. I have to keep cancelling it because the “reset” option is grayscale and can’t be selected. Occasionally I click the grayscale reset anyway and it gives the option to send a link if I’ve forgotten my pin and want to change it. Should I do that? My profile is still being detected but it’s annoying to keep hitting cancel when the “Enter Pin” window keeps popping up!
I don't remember needing to reset my PIN, so you may have run into another issue. I've had the PIN popup happen a few times.

There is a issue where the PIN message pops up, happens if there's low network connectivity, here's description from Lexus: 'Some 2022MY NX or LX drivers may experience a PIN prompt while driving, this issue occurs as a result of the security token with the server expiring. If this token expires when the vehicle does not have adequate cell reception, then the pin prompt will repeatedly pop-up. Please follow the recommendation below to apply the workaround.'

Here's their 'workaround':
1. Move the vehicle to an area with adequate cell reception.
2. Stop the vehicle and place the vehicle in Park (Park position is required and the pin token refresh will fail if it is in any other drive mode)
3. Enter the correct PIN.
4. If the PIN is entered incorrectly or not in Park more than three times, this will lock the account and the user will need to enter their email and password associated with the account.

Network connectivity + Lexus servers working properly seem to be required for most things with the car unfortunately.

As a next step, you could also delete your profile (or all info on the car) and start over. Just make sure you have a good signal for the car when you do this.
Old 09-28-22, 09:53 AM
Randyp1234
Advanced

Originally Posted by ct6978
I don't remember needing to reset my PIN, so you may have run into another issue. I've had the PIN popup happen a few times.

There is a issue where the PIN message pops up, happens if there's low network connectivity, here's description from Lexus: 'Some 2022MY NX or LX drivers may experience a PIN prompt while driving, this issue occurs as a result of the security token with the server expiring. If this token expires when the vehicle does not have adequate cell reception, then the pin prompt will repeatedly pop-up. Please follow the recommendation below to apply the workaround.'

Here's their 'workaround':
1. Move the vehicle to an area with adequate cell reception.
2. Stop the vehicle and place the vehicle in Park (Park position is required and the pin token refresh will fail if it is in any other drive mode)
3. Enter the correct PIN.
4. If the PIN is entered incorrectly or not in Park more than three times, this will lock the account and the user will need to enter their email and password associated with the account.

Network connectivity + Lexus servers working properly seem to be required for most things with the car unfortunately.

As a next step, you could also delete your profile (or all info on the car) and start over. Just make sure you have a good signal for the car when you do this.
So if you're driving in a low cell phone area you can't use 100% of the features of your car. What were they thinking?

Quick Reply: Profiles