NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Software Update just posted for 2022 Lexus NX

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-22, 05:59 PM
HeavenSold
Driver School Candidate

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Software Update just posted for 2022 Lexus NX

Hopefully this fixes some of your issues? This was posted on the Facebook group called "Lexus NX Group." I have no idea where the person got the picture and information from as I cannot find it online. Maybe it's something only Lexus owners can retrieve.

The following 5 users liked this post by HeavenSold:
ct6978 (03-23-22), DaveDude (03-23-22), dklanecky1 (03-24-22), gcskoor (03-23-22), lsft (03-24-22)
Old 03-23-22, 06:32 PM
ctripps2k
Pit Crew

Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts

I just checked for the update in the head unit and it says there is no software update. I also went the route with the USB and it said my head unit was up-to-date.

A few things about this concern me. First of all if there was an update and my unit auto updated in the background with no notification, I am not too pleased with that. I like to know when my unit has been updated and there was no indication that this happened in the background.

also if it did automatically update in the background, this update did not fix any of the issues that I have been having.

The following users liked this post:
JPB23 (03-23-22)
Old 03-23-22, 06:51 PM
nitrolada
Pit Crew

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by ctripps2k
I just checked for the update in the head unit and it says there is no software update. I also went the route with the USB and it said my head unit was up-to-date.

A few things about this concern me. First of all if there was an update and my unit auto updated in the background with no notification, I am not too pleased with that. I like to know when my unit has been updated and there was no indication that this happened in the background.

also if it did automatically update in the background, this update did not fix any of the issues that I have been having.
software updates don't roll out all at once... it's generally done in phases once it hits production where they push out the update to some devices and then more and more etc as time passes... the reason is ensure sufficient bandwidth/server capacity and also to hedge against any issues that didnt' show up in testing, so that if an update causes an issue, they can pause it and figure it out/fix it and not have all devices affected

this is standard procedure

no different than cellphone updates, software updates for computers, websites ..updates are rolled out in phases and not everyone will get it at sametime

Last edited by nitrolada; 03-23-22 at 06:54 PM.
dklanecky1 (03-24-22)
Old 03-23-22, 07:06 PM
RKF350
Intermediate

Received 123 Likes on 65 Posts

Haven’t notice anything yet on the NX.

My 2018 ES Navigation Head Unit takes updates automatically.

A bigger issue for me has been when Apple rolls out a new iOS version on my phone and causes issues with my car. I’ve had to work with Apple before and then mysteriously within days it’s all fine.

I worked in software for over 40 years. Making different software compatible with everything else can be a nightmare.
Old 03-23-22, 07:15 PM
ctripps2k
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by nitrolada
software updates don't roll out all at once... it's generally done in phases once it hits production where they push out the update to some devices and then more and more etc as time passes... the reason is ensure sufficient bandwidth/server capacity and also to hedge against any issues that didnt' show up in testing, so that if an update causes an issue, they can pause it and figure it out/fix it and not have all devices affected

this is standard procedure

no different than cellphone updates, software updates for computers, websites ..updates are rolled out in phases and not everyone will get it at sametime

some companies do roll out their software updates at the same time and others don’t. Microsoft and Apple drop their updates all at once. It’s up to the company and whether they have the bandwdith to handle it or not. Companies like TiVo and Nvidia stagger their updates. I honestly don’t know how Lexus/Toyota stages their updates. At this point in time I don’t think Lexus has a big customer base with the NX 350 to worry about bandwidth concerns.
Old 03-23-22, 07:18 PM
JPB23
Driver

Received 42 Likes on 18 Posts

[QUOTE=HeavenSold;11253808]Hopefully this fixes some of your issues? This was posted on the Facebook group called "Lexus NX Group." I have no idea where the person got the picture and information from as I cannot find it online. Maybe it's something only Lexus owners can retrieve.

[/QUOTE Found this and did the steps. My NX has the latest software. https://www.lexus.com/firmware-updates/usb-steps
Old 03-23-22, 07:20 PM
ctripps2k
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by RKF350
Haven’t notice anything yet on the NX.

My 2018 ES Navigation Head Unit takes updates automatically.

A bigger issue for me has been when Apple rolls out a new iOS version on my phone and causes issues with my car. I’ve had to work with Apple before and then mysteriously within days it’s all fine.

I worked in software for over 40 years. Making different software compatible with everything else can be a nightmare.
when I had my Toyota forerunner, there were a few times where I was prompted that there was a software update and it asked me if I wanted to apply it or not. I hope that Lexus gives us the option and doesn’t automatically force it.
Old 03-23-22, 07:23 PM
JPB23
Driver

Received 42 Likes on 18 Posts

I just checked my head unit thru the USB and the following link. Nothing is available for vehicle yet.

https://www.lexus.com/firmware-updates/usb-steps
Old 03-23-22, 07:35 PM
nitrolada
Pit Crew

some companies do roll out their software updates at the same time and others don’t. Microsoft and Apple drop their updates all at once. It’s up to the company and whether they have the bandwdith to handle it or not. Companies like TiVo and Nvidia stagger their updates. I honestly don’t know how Lexus/Toyota stages their updates. At this point in time I don’t think Lexus has a big customer base with the NX 350 to worry about bandwidth concerns.
I've never gotten updates available on my iOS phone and tablets on day 1..
Old 03-23-22, 07:39 PM
nitrolada
Pit Crew

And Microsoft doesn't roll out update all at once either
eg windows 11 update
https://www.zdnet.com/article/ready-...or-windows-10/

Windows fans' attention might be on Windows 11 rumors, but Microsoft has just kicked off another important phase of rolling out Windows 10 version 21H1, aka the May 2021 Update.

Microsoft generally waits a few months before making a new version of Windows 10 more broadly available and it started this process on Tuesday.

Windows 10 21H1 was released in May and is set to reach end of support December 13, 2022. It's been available to 'seekers' who manually go to "Check for Updates" to get the Windows 10 feature update, but it hasn't been available automatically to all Windows 10 PCs. ​​​​​​​

Old 03-23-22, 07:59 PM
ct6978
Intermediate

Received 171 Likes on 100 Posts

when I had my Toyota forerunner, there were a few times where I was prompted that there was a software update and it asked me if I wanted to apply it or not. I hope that Lexus gives us the option and doesn’t automatically force it.
I'm guessing it requires you to accept it.... This is based on the maintenance guide "Check for available Over The Air updates and update upon customer authorization"

I seem to remember Toyota/Lexus forcing an update on folks once some years ago, so they probably have the capability to do so in case of "emergencies". Google has done the same thing on my phones over the years, most of the updates require me to accept them, but every once and a while they push one quietly.

I wonder if the update notice was posted prior to sending out the actual OTA to give dealers time to prepare for any calls. Also, I haven't found the website to be very dependable, I've gotten infotainment updates from the dealer that never showed up online for prior cars.

Last edited by ct6978; 03-23-22 at 08:06 PM.
Old 03-23-22, 08:03 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 719 Likes on 526 Posts

Don’t make the same mistake I did the last time I updated my RX. Make sure the USB flash drive is formatted as Fat32, otherwise the car won’t recognize it and will simply state “no updates available” or something to that effect. With past Lexus vehicles, you also could only use certain ports so make sure you aren’t plugging into a “power only” USB port.
dklanecky1 (03-24-22)
Old 03-24-22, 04:32 AM
ctripps2k
Pit Crew

i’ve never gotten them automatically on day one but I consistently get them proactively on day one.
Old 03-24-22, 04:35 AM
ctripps2k
Pit Crew

And Microsoft doesn't roll out update all at once either
eg windows 11 update
https://www.zdnet.com/article/ready-...or-windows-10/
when I said Microsoft rolls out updates all at once I was referring to what is commonly known as “patch Tuesday“, Not OS upgrades.

I worked in a large corporate data center and our whole business revolved around patch Tuesday.
Old 03-24-22, 08:45 AM
ct6978
Intermediate

Received 171 Likes on 100 Posts

Here's the detailed list of fixes in the patch, I've encountered several of them already:

The following conditions and performance improvements for Lexus Multimedia are addressed with this head unit software update:
  • Abnormal Apple CarPlay® operation when multiple phones are connected via Bluetooth®.
  • Unable to switch users when not in Park, the button is not grayed out.
  • Abnormal color palette operation when using illumination customization.
  • Contact phone number not displayed when using voice recognition.
  • Error banner missing or abnormal operation.
  • Audio mode will change when searching for genres in Sirius XM® with voice recognition.
  • Unable to change volume using voice recognition.
  • Inconsistent climate control adjustments when using voice recognition.
  • Intermittent black or white screen after shifting out of reverse or while driving.
  • When using voice recognition to send a text message, the message is sent to a different number.
  • Date labels do not align with the bar graphs in the trip information screen.
  • Multiple degree “°” symbols displayed in the voice recognition screen.
  • Unable to perform a system reset while listening to USB audio.
  • “Profile not loaded” popup is shown through the startup animation.
  • Intermittent rebooting.
  • Abnormal operation when switching audio modes.
  • Vehicle screen appears when requesting seat heater screen via voice recognition.
  • Intermittent startup animation flickering.
  • Poor appearance of the keyboard settings screen.
  • Wi-Fi connection history is intermittently not retained.
  • Wake word setting intermittently changes from OFF to ON.
  • MID (Multi-information Display) incorrectly displays volume or mute changes.
  • Intermittent Spanish displayed when selected language is French, or vice versa.
  • Abnormal USB audio playback when using voice recognition.
  • Intermittent daytime display after IG-OFF.
  • Two favorites added when one channel is selected.
  • Some items are displayed in English instead of the system selected language (other than English).
  • Projection icon displayed next to phone not actively connected to projection mode.
  • Voice recognition in Amazon MusicTM is not consistent with other audio modes.
  • When switching modes to Bluetooth® with no media files present an abnormal screen is displayed.
  • Daylight savings time intermittently turns OFF.
  • When switching audio mode to USB audio, MID does NOT show USB text.
  • Unable to start Remote Park while phone is connected to wireless CarPlay®.
  • Common voice recognition commands screen not displayed when using voice recognition to ask for help in the Climate, Weather, and Settings screens.
  • Poor music streaming quality when streaming from Samsung® devices.
  • While listening to Apple Music®, when the next song starts the previous song information will still be displayed.
  • Incorrect scaling of traffic colors in the navigation map.
  • Intermittent DTC U131457 present.
  • Abnormal navigation arrow operation.
  • Repeated popups to use the HOV lane while using navigation.
  • Abnormal traffic displayed when panning the map.
  • Closed road notification missing.
  • Zoom buttons intermittently inoperative.
  • Arrival time does not match actual arrival time.
  • Abnormal French voice recognition operation.

Evidently they don't suggest using the USB method unless you're 5 or more versions out of date, not sure why.

Sounds like we'll need to use the local WiFi connection option to download this one, anyone want to give it a shot? You go to settings, Data/WiFi, then WiFi (not hotspot) and connect to your local WiFi network.

You then go to Software Update and it should work. My car out for the day, so I won't be able to give this a shot till tonight.

Last edited by ct6978; 03-24-22 at 08:51 AM.
The following 7 users liked this post by ct6978:
BC310 (03-24-22), gnatuw (03-28-22), HeavenSold (03-24-22), jardlr (03-24-22), JPB23 (03-31-22), L1XUSBABY (03-24-22), NX350FSP (03-24-22) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Quick Reply: Software Update just posted for 2022 Lexus NX