NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Front License Plate

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-22, 11:57 AM
adb04
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Front License Plate

Just got the number plates (x2) from DMV. Is the front license plate a mandatory requirement in California? I have seen lot of Teslas on road without front plates. Have you guys installed both plates? Anyone has experience with cop pulled over for not having front license plate, and ended up getting a ticket?
​​​​
The following users liked this post:
NX350FSP (03-28-22)
Old 03-27-22, 12:48 PM
DampDuffer
Intermediate

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by adb04
Just got the number plates (x2) from DMV. Is the front license plate a mandatory requirement in California? I have seen lot of Teslas on road without front plates. Have you guys installed both plates? Anyone has experience with cop pulled over for not having front license plate, and ended up getting a ticket?
​​​​
Yes, it is mandatory in California and yes, there have been a number of posts on this forum about tickets being given over the years for no front plates.

However, I live in Washington, where front plates are also mandatory, and have been running my 2017 F-Sport without front plates in 9 of the states in the western US, including 12 trips to California, for over 5 years without a ticket.

My attitude is, I will gladly pay the fine to have a better look to my car.

Question: On a couple of pictures of the 2022 front grill, it would appear there is a flat place or a "grill-less" area where the plate attaches. Tell me it isn't so!
Old 03-27-22, 12:50 PM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

In Ontario Canada we are required to have a front plate, as are folks in California. However, when I had another car that the plate looked terrible on the front, I drove around for a year before I got a ticket. Good news it was a Fix it ticket...Put it on or next time you will get a fine. Officer told me they keep a record so if it happens you have been warned.

I have a front plate on now and it probably is the best looking front plate holder in years. I don't know what comes with yours in California, but the Canadian one doesn't look that bad.
Old 03-27-22, 01:41 PM
RKF350
Intermediate

Received 122 Likes on 64 Posts

It’s a fix it ticket in CA.

I haven’t had front plates on my Lexus cars since 2010. We have not been pulled over. My understanding is that they can issue a fix it ticket if they pull you over for something else, say speeding.

The bracket unscrews on the front of the NX. No “blank” spot.
Old 03-27-22, 01:45 PM
hnlflyer
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by DampDuffer
Yes, it is mandatory in California and yes, there have been a number of posts on this forum about tickets being given over the years for no front plates.

However, I live in Washington, where front plates are also mandatory, and have been running my 2017 F-Sport without front plates in 9 of the states in the western US, including 12 trips to California, for over 5 years without a ticket.

My attitude is, I will gladly pay the fine to have a better look to my car.

Question: On a couple of pictures of the 2022 front grill, it would appear there is a flat place or a "grill-less" area where the plate attaches. Tell me it isn't so!
It ain't so! The bracket is attached with 2 bolts into a plastic piece right behind the grill and with built-in "clips" to the grill.
Old 03-27-22, 04:15 PM
RKF350
Intermediate

Received 122 Likes on 64 Posts

Took mine off. Yes, two screws and it comes off.
Old 03-27-22, 05:51 PM
chuuck1e
Pit Crew

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by RKF350
Took mine off. Yes, two screws and it comes off.
So it would be easy to move also? I noticed when I got home from the dealer that mine was about two inches off center. I immediately sent the sales manager a picture, and she told me to bring it in and they would fix it. If I can easily move it myself, that would save me a lot of time. I had gone over the car with a fine tooth comb looking for issues before taking delivery, but did not notice the holder being off center. Everything else looked great.
Old 03-28-22, 01:00 AM
hnlflyer
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by chuuck1e
So it would be easy to move also? I noticed when I got home from the dealer that mine was about two inches off center. I immediately sent the sales manager a picture, and she told me to bring it in and they would fix it. If I can easily move it myself, that would save me a lot of time. I had gone over the car with a fine tooth comb looking for issues before taking delivery, but did not notice the holder being off center. Everything else looked great.
If you have a power drill, it's super easy. The biggest challenge will be making sure that it's aligned properly.
Old 03-28-22, 09:54 AM
Pharbor
Pit Crew

Received 58 Likes on 31 Posts

NY is mandatory also - but on my NX and Miata they look ugly - both have the second plate and bracket in the trunk. Over the last three years I have received one parking ticket for it.
Old 03-28-22, 10:31 AM
DampDuffer
Intermediate

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by dibara2003
It ain't so! The bracket is attached with 2 bolts into a plastic piece right behind the grill and with built-in "clips" to the grill.
Thank you!

When I got the plates for my 2017 F-Sport when it was new, I ran over the plate several times to make it appear it had fallen off my car and been run over and I was planning to get it fixed. I keep it in the pocket behind the driver's seat just in case law enforcement makes an issue of it.

I also have my "veteran" decal on it, hoping the officer is also a veteran.

So far, I have never had to press-to-test my plan.
Old 03-29-22, 02:05 AM
kawaii
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts

Definitely mandatory. Got three fix it tickets on my IS within months of each other. By the time I got the 3rd one, I gave up and bought a license plate relocation kit from Grimmspeed. Putting the plate on the dash doesn’t qualify either.

I don’t really mind front plates as much anymore because of the black & yellow vanity plates. I don’t how how illegal it is but people are starting to wrap license plates now to much their cars. Might give it a try as I don’t think black & yellow looks that good against a red car
Old 03-29-22, 01:58 PM
BC310
Driver

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by adb04
Just got the number plates (x2) from DMV. Is the front license plate a mandatory requirement in California? I have seen lot of Teslas on road without front plates. Have you guys installed both plates? Anyone has experience with cop pulled over for not having front license plate, and ended up getting a ticket?​​​​
Very much required by law in CA. If you are in any public road/parking space, you can be issued a fix-it ticket. My car was parked at LAX's public/city lot during a trip some years ago without a plate and I returned to find a gift tucked under my windshield wiper blade from the city. So it's a calculated risk to go without, as others have indicated above.

Regarding Teslas, they do not have any mounting spots designed into the front bumper. Instead, the OEM mounting bracket attaches with double-stick tape and is a mess to clean up if you remove it. So that's probably why Tesla defaults to delivering vehicles without it attached, assuming most owners don't want it, and just stores the new mounting bracket in the trunk, leaving it up to the owner to take care of compliance. There are several after-market options for Teslas to mount from the vent grill on the underside of the bumper in order not to use the factory double-stick tape option.

There are limited options to install alternative-appearance but legally compliant plates in CA:
  • Vanity "Legacy" retro metal plates with black background and yellow text, direct from DMV, has recurring additional fees, two plates included
    https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/vehicl...icense-plates/
  • Decal/wrap style that works well on smooth front bumpers like Tesla's, from third-party, has one-time fee (plus DMV fees for special plates). Not applicable to NX given the grill design
    https://licenseplatewrap.com/
  • "Smart" digital LCD plate that offers a blackish background and whitish text, from third-party, has recurring fees. Company says it's only for rear plate, though maybe they'll come out with one specifically for the front if there's demand.
    https://reviver.com/rplate/
  • Tow-hook plate mount, shifts plate off to the side away from grill
    Example product, but haven't seen one confirmed to fit 2022 NX:
    Amazon Amazon

Last edited by BC310; 04-01-22 at 01:37 PM.