NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Lane change assist

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-22, 11:40 AM
Yoogert
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Lane change assist

With the lane change assist, isn’t the vehicle supposed to change lanes for you when you activate the turn signals. I read that it will change when it is determined by the sensors it’s safe. I have held the blinkers on and did a short activation on open roads and my 450hF did nothing besides stop following the lane it was in.

Am I not engaging it correctly? Does something else need to be activated? Is it possible my truck is not equipped with it?
Old 03-30-22, 11:53 AM
lsft
Racer

Received 610 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by Yoogert
With the lane change assist, isn’t the vehicle supposed to change lanes for you when you activate the turn signals. I read that it will change when it is determined by the sensors it’s safe. I have held the blinkers on and did a short activation on open roads and my 450hF did nothing besides stop following the lane it was in.

Am I not engaging it correctly? Does something else need to be activated? Is it possible my truck is not equipped with it?
I have tried it on my 450h+. I was on the highway driving roughly 100km/h. You need to have Lane trace assist (LTA on) and you have to have the Lane Change Assist function turned on.
The car needs to be running between 55-85mph or 90-140km/h. You hold down the turn signal on the direction you need to change and it will change the lane when it's safe to do so. There are times where it says it cannot because of certain conditions like a broken white line on the side you want to change lanes.

Old 03-30-22, 01:05 PM
Ihave1cat
Intermediate

Received 139 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by lsft
I have tried it on my 450h+. I was on the highway driving roughly 100km/h. You need to have Lane trace assist (LTA on) and you have to have the Lane Change Assist function turned on.
The car needs to be running between 55-85mph or 90-140km/h. You hold down the turn signal on the direction you need to change and it will change the lane when it's safe to do so. There are times where it says it cannot because of certain conditions like a broken white line on the side you want to change lanes.
Consider me somewhat silly - I too have this feature (well, waiting for my car...) - but you need to have your hands on the wheel - correct? So, while holding the wheel, showing the turn signal, your car would change lanes (when safe, conditions permitting). The steering wheel would then move, while holding it, to switch the lane? If so, I am misunderstanding the use of this function... Lexus doesn't do a good job of describing what it's really for...

Basically, to me, it's like this: Lines visible - Yes, Hands on wheel - yes, Car in blind spot - No - okay, all good, let me just move the steering wheel for you. To me it sounds about the equivalent of simply looking at the blind spot indicator, and if it's not illuminated, changing lanes. Am I missing something here?

Sorry for the silly question...
Old 03-30-22, 01:45 PM
BC310
Driver

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

In the month I've been using adaptive cruise and lane change assist on my 450h+, I would categorize them as "moderate driver assistance" tools. They don't take over actions for you, rather they just help move the steering wheel and adjust speed for you. You still need to be paying full attention with your hand touching (not necessarily gripping) the wheel and your foot over the appropriate pedal in case you need to take over, but you don't have to apply the force needed to complete the tasks if the car is executing the task properly. The car makes driving less physically tiring, but it's not driving for you.

In the case of lane change assist on a highway at speed (I haven't tried it on local streets or lower speed), you initiate it by lightly pressing the turn signal--do not fully engage the turn signal such that it clicks and holds like you are making a turn at an intersection. It's the same motion as when you get it to blink three times on its own for a manual lane change. Assuming the adjacent lane is open and lane markers are clear, I get a visual confirmation in the head-up display that the car is proceeding, it will make the maneuver, and it automatically keeps the blinker flashing until it completes the lane change. During the move, it does require me to keep touching the steering wheel, but I don't need to apply force. If you start with the auto lane change and accidentally push the blinker all the way, it will cancel lane change assist and you have to then take over to finish the job.

There are times when the car isn't satisfied with the conditions and says it can't complete the maneuver, so I just take over and do it myself. When it does proceed with the lane change, it doesn't always center perfectly into the new lane, so it might overshoot past center but still within the lane, then it has to recenter.

Overall lane change assist is a nice-to-have, but it doesn't have nearly the same level of confidence to perform as a human, so I definitely would not choose to pay extra for this feature by itself. In my case, I wanted the bird's eye view for parking, and lane change came along with that in the "vision package". Plus it seems all 450h+ include the vision package at this stage anyway, so I didn't really have a choice.

Last edited by BC310; 03-30-22 at 03:08 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by BC310:
hintonwood (03-30-22), Ihave1cat (03-30-22)
Old 03-30-22, 05:13 PM
Ihave1cat
Intermediate

Received 139 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by BC310
In the month I've been using adaptive cruise and lane change assist on my 450h+, I would categorize them as "moderate driver assistance" tools. They don't take over actions for you, rather they just help move the steering wheel and adjust speed for you. You still need to be paying full attention with your hand touching (not necessarily gripping) the wheel and your foot over the appropriate pedal in case you need to take over, but you don't have to apply the force needed to complete the tasks if the car is executing the task properly. The car makes driving less physically tiring, but it's not driving for you.

In the case of lane change assist on a highway at speed (I haven't tried it on local streets or lower speed), you initiate it by lightly pressing the turn signal--do not fully engage the turn signal such that it clicks and holds like you are making a turn at an intersection. It's the same motion as when you get it to blink three times on its own for a manual lane change. Assuming the adjacent lane is open and lane markers are clear, I get a visual confirmation in the head-up display that the car is proceeding, it will make the maneuver, and it automatically keeps the blinker flashing until it completes the lane change. During the move, it does require me to keep touching the steering wheel, but I don't need to apply force. If you start with the auto lane change and accidentally push the blinker all the way, it will cancel lane change assist and you have to then take over to finish the job.

There are times when the car isn't satisfied with the conditions and says it can't complete the maneuver, so I just take over and do it myself. When it does proceed with the lane change, it doesn't always center perfectly into the new lane, so it might overshoot past center but still within the lane, then it has to recenter.

Overall lane change assist is a nice-to-have, but it doesn't have nearly the same level of confidence to perform as a human, so I definitely would not choose to pay extra for this feature by itself. In my case, I wanted the bird's eye view for parking, and lane change came along with that in the "vision package". Plus it seems all 450h+ include the vision package at this stage anyway, so I didn't really have a choice.
Thanks for the great response!
Unfortunately the 450h+ in Canada requires an upgrade to the Ultra Luxury package to get the vision package... Darn it Canada!
Old 03-31-22, 12:48 PM
Yoogert
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I may be missing where to turn the feature on. I don’t see it listed in the driver assist. I do have the birds eye view cam and pretty sure I have the package and I am following your exact instructions - I have never seen anything indicating a lane change was or was attempting to be executed.
Old 04-08-22, 06:21 PM
lsft
Racer

Received 610 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by Yoogert
I may be missing where to turn the feature on. I don’t see it listed in the driver assist. I do have the birds eye view cam and pretty sure I have the package and I am following your exact instructions - I have never seen anything indicating a lane change was or was attempting to be executed.
How to turn on lane change assist:

The following 6 users liked this post by lsft:
DDGNX (05-11-22), dklanecky1 (04-09-22), hintonwood (04-08-22), NiCoRe (04-08-22), Susido (04-09-22), Yoogert (04-09-22) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-08-22, 08:45 PM
ct6978
Intermediate

Received 172 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by BC310
I hadn't planned on paying for the vision package originally, but like you ours came with it. Now that we have it, I'm extremely glad as we have a tight driveway and garage, and use the bird's eye view all the time at home and elsewhere. I recently found out you can set it to automatically come on at low speed instead of needing to push the button.
Old 04-08-22, 08:54 PM
danieljchu
Rookie

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ct6978
I hadn't planned on paying for the vision package originally, but like you ours came with it. Now that we have it, I'm extremely glad as we have a tight driveway and garage, and use the bird's eye view all the time at home and elsewhere. I recently found out you can set it to automatically come on at low speed instead of needing to push the button.
Where is the setting to do that? Low speed birds eye?

Thanks!
Old 04-08-22, 09:00 PM
ct6978
Intermediate

Received 172 Likes on 100 Posts

Turn it on with the physical button, then look for one of the buttons on the left side of the screen, it has a small 'A' over a cup of coffee (I think it is actually a sideview mirror) and is above the settings (gear) button. Once you click on it, the view will come on below a certain speed, I think 5 or 7 mph. It is occasionally annoying or disconcerting (stop and go traffic, or when navigating or using the main screen for another reason) but you can dismiss it with the 'x' on the top left. I've kept it on since finding that feature.

You can also zoom in on a section, turn on 'transparency' mode, change your car color, and some other things. I added a set of guide lines to our garage floor and now park perfectly (as does the wife!) every time.

Last edited by ct6978; 04-08-22 at 09:06 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ct6978:
BC310 (04-09-22), danieljchu (04-08-22)
Old 04-09-22, 05:28 AM
danieljchu
Rookie

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ct6978
Turn it on with the physical button, then look for one of the buttons on the left side of the screen, it has a small 'A' over a cup of coffee (I think it is actually a sideview mirror) and is above the settings (gear) button. Once you click on it, the view will come on below a certain speed, I think 5 or 7 mph. It is occasionally annoying or disconcerting (stop and go traffic, or when navigating or using the main screen for another reason) but you can dismiss it with the 'x' on the top left. I've kept it on since finding that feature.

You can also zoom in on a section, turn on 'transparency' mode, change your car color, and some other things. I added a set of guide lines to our garage floor and now park perfectly (as does the wife!) every time.
Bummer, just looked this morning and don’t see such an option.

Oops, I found it, you have to be in drive to see it.

Thanks!