NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Automatic Carwash Problem, 2022 Lexus NX 350h

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-22, 06:21 AM
Dswhittle
Rookie

Received 28 Likes on 12 Posts

This reported issue started me looking for information on using an automated car wash for the NX 350H I have on order. Searching the electronic Owners Manual for the word “wash” only turned up information about automated car washes concerning folding mirrors, automatic open rear door and possible paint damage. Nothing about possible problems related to battery depletion when using a moving conveyor car wash.

I then started to search the internet and while I couldn’t find anything specific about the reported problem or anything NX related, it did open my eyes to the general issue of new cars and automated car wash systems. Compounding the issues are the various types of car wash systems including the one closest to me which is a stay-in-the-car-in-neutral belt conveyor system. There are others that require the driver to exit the vehicle but leave it in neutral which are probably even more problematic.

Again, I haven’t found a step-by-step-step solution but clearly there is more to think about when using an automatic car wash as the car technology becomes more sophisticated. I’m going to keep looking for information specific to the NX 350H and the proper procedure to address the hybrid issue but I thought I’d provide a link to an article I found concerning high technology vehicles. We’ll worth a read.

https://lexusenthusiast.com/forums/t...r-washes.3700/

Linked in the article are Lexus Hybrid instructions for when you must exit the vehicle but leave it in neutral. Please note that I have not verified these instructions.

Following is a page related to turning off collision avoidance when using an automated car wash. Again, not verified.

Who knew that we have to rethink how to use a car wash! I’ll keep looking.
Old 04-03-22, 07:54 AM
richmanl
8th Gear

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

DSwhittle, that is a very thorough investigative reply! Thank you! I have also done some more searching/reading in the printed version of the main NX350h user manual. On pages 530, 531 and 532 there is some interesting information about washing various parts of the car with pressure washers. Basically, just don’t do it. According to the manual there should be no pressure washing of the engine compartment, the bottom section of the front windshield, any HOT exhaust system part, any rubber boots the electronic door handles, underneath the car and the list goes on. The best way to wash it, according to Lexus, is with a sponge and water. Soap should ONLY be used selectively if needed.
Old 04-03-22, 08:26 AM
richmanl
8th Gear

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Regarding Shifting Into Drive After Auto Car Wash

OK, thanks to the help of several people’s replies, I ran a test. First I moved the NX350h to level ground, then shifted to neutral. Once in neutral it would not allow (meaning, I could shift to drive or reverse but nothing happened) me to shift directly to drive or reverse. Firmly stepping on the brake (believe it or not there is a message on the multifunction screen addressing this problem) solved everything. So now we know what to do at the end of an automatic car wash. Ironically we have also learned that automatic car washes as well as pressure washers and even steam cleaners should not be used. Even soap should only be used selectively. So there you have it.
The following 2 users liked this post by richmanl:
dklanecky1 (04-04-22), Steevz (04-30-22)
Old 04-03-22, 09:45 AM
DampDuffer
Intermediate

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by richmanl
Firmly stepping on the brake (believe it or not there is a message on the multifunction screen addressing this problem) solved everything. So now we know what to do at the end of an automatic car wash.
We have to do the same with our new Audi Q3. It concerned me the first time I did it with another car about 6 feet behind...fortunately it does not require more than a quick tap on the brake pedal will engaging the car in drive.

Life seems so much easier with my 2017 F-Sport, but I still plan to buy the 2023 NX when it becomes available.
Old 04-28-22, 01:04 PM
SPeters347
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Automatic car wash

I called my Lexus Dealership they said besides turning off the rain sensing wipers and folding in the mirrors they said to turn off the pre collision system.
Old 04-29-22, 02:54 AM
clmk
Driver

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

Seems like they need to add a nice big button in the touch screen shortcuts/favorites menu "Car Wash mode", which does all the needful at once, and which automatically turns off once the car goes over a certain speed.
The following 5 users liked this post by clmk:
dklanecky1 (04-29-22), LexDex99 (06-07-22), NewNX450he (08-12-22), SPeters347 (04-29-22), unkind2cat (04-29-22)
Old 04-29-22, 05:05 AM
SPeters347
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a 2019 NX 300h never had a problem going through the car wash. I now have a 2022 NX 350h Luxury model. After reading this thread I contacted my Lexus Dealership, they advised to turn off the pre collison assist before entering the car wash.
Old 02-03-23, 11:54 PM
Ive350h
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Car wash

Yesterday, for the second time, I ran our Lexus NX 350h, luxury SUV through an automated car wash and had a fairly bizarre problem. The car wash is a manned chain driven carwash of about 100-150 feet long. Of course I made sure the wipers were off, the mirrors folded and that the car was in neutral. All of the different proximity warnings went off as the wash began and I ignored them, realizing that the speaker could be turned off if wanted. At the end of the wash the chain drive finishes moving the car and it is released to be driven. EXCEPT- the stick shift would not select a gear. Everything was on, just as it had been at the beginning of the wash. The stick would move to the right place but the car stayed in neutral (no neutral light though). What panicked me the most was that there was a truck in the carwash about 50’ behind, so time was limited. I tried to shift into drive again, nothing, no lights, just nothing. So I had to select Park to turn off the car and reboot everything. Park lite up and worked fine, allowing me to turn the car off and then on. This worked but the truck behind me was only 4-5 feet away by the end of the process. This was ALMOST an accident in slow motion. I talked to technical support at the dealership and they had NO advice, not even a glimmer of an idea. So, (sorry for the long post) has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone have any ideas of what to do, besides asking the carwash to skip having a vehicle right behind me and taking the time to reboot? BTW- I absolutely love the NX. In the scheme of things this is minor except for the first and second discovery. I just need to determine if this is a general problem or a specific one.
I had same problem was told to release the hold button which is for the brakes
Old 02-04-23, 06:12 AM
Lexus22563
Intermediate

Received 89 Likes on 58 Posts

I have gone to a touchless/brushless car wash and just put the nx in park. Of course I shut off the auto wipers. No problem to report
Old 02-04-23, 07:22 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 869 Likes on 655 Posts

I have run our 2010 HS 250h, 2014 & 2018 ES 300h's and the 2020 ES 300h through chain pull washes
with no trouble. Select Neutral, turn off the rain-sense wipers and let her go. Have both ridden in and exited
the vehicle. Echoing a couple of points from earlier posts - those vehicles that have the Prius style shifter that
you hold to the left until it shows Neutral, you must press the brake a bit to allow the selection of Drive. Usually
works OK but once the (undriven) back wheel jumped over the car wash roller. As I was adequately spaced ahead
of the next car I let the roller advance the length of the wheelbase and engage our front wheel. Had there been
the danger of being rear ended I would have just stayed on my brakes lightly and matched the line speed.

The other point that comes up is the dash eventually displays the rather cryptic warning regarding the extended
use of Neutral. Both the 288v traction battery and the 12v accessory battery are charged when MG1 is connected
to the IC engine and Neutral prevents that. I have set up my Information screen to show the relative charge level of
the traction battery and it would have to be a extraordinarily long car wash to have any real effect. This phenomenon
does raise a question, the warning does not come on when the car is idle in Park. How is the IC engine/MG1 connected
when in Park and not in Neutral?
The following users liked this post:
hintonwood (02-06-23)
Old 06-19-23, 09:16 PM
ravnorodom
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

On my 2023 NX350, a full brake has to be pressed in order for gear to shift from Neutral to Drive. This is so inconvenience when going through automated car wash with track.
Old 06-21-23, 04:38 PM
Nightlight
Driver

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Wish I saw this thread sooner. Went through a touch-less car that was on a track on the driver’s side only. At the end, I had to put my foot completely on the break in order to get back into drive. Brand new vehicle and I messed up my alignment with the jerk and pull that happened as a result of being unable to get into drive in time. Why is it so needlessly difficult to get this vehicle into various gears? I’ve noticed that it can take me 2 tries to get into reverse or drive at random times. Not happy with this at all. Needless to say, stationary touch-less/spray washes from now on.
Old 08-27-23, 04:09 PM
GSENT
10th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Yesterday, for the second time, I ran our Lexus NX 350h, luxury SUV through an automated car wash and had a fairly bizarre problem. The car wash is a manned chain driven carwash of about 100-150 feet long. Of course I made sure the wipers were off, the mirrors folded and that the car was in neutral. All of the different proximity warnings went off as the wash began and I ignored them, realizing that the speaker could be turned off if wanted. At the end of the wash the chain drive finishes moving the car and it is released to be driven. EXCEPT- the stick shift would not select a gear. Everything was on, just as it had been at the beginning of the wash. The stick would move to the right place but the car stayed in neutral (no neutral light though). What panicked me the most was that there was a truck in the carwash about 50’ behind, so time was limited. I tried to shift into drive again, nothing, no lights, just nothing. So I had to select Park to turn off the car and reboot everything. Park lite up and worked fine, allowing me to turn the car off and then on. This worked but the truck behind me was only 4-5 feet away by the end of the process. This was ALMOST an accident in slow motion. I talked to technical support at the dealership and they had NO advice, not even a glimmer of an idea. So, (sorry for the long post) has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone have any ideas of what to do, besides asking the carwash to skip having a vehicle right behind me and taking the time to reboot? BTW- I absolutely love the NX. In the scheme of things this is minor except for the first and second discovery. I just need to determine if this is a general problem or a specific one.
I just had the same problem with my new LS 500. All went well inside but could not get the car to shift into drive at the exit. I had to turn off the ignition and re-start to get the car to move. Any advice?
Old 08-27-23, 04:23 PM
DaveDude
Driver

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Happened recently to me as well. Didn't turn off the vehicle but pressed the automatic 'Park' button by the gear shift which allowed me to then switch gears to Drive.
Old 08-27-23, 06:37 PM
clmk
Driver

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

So it wouldn't go from N to D even with your foot on the brake pedal? That seems like a fault if thats the case.

Quick Reply: Automatic Carwash Problem, 2022 Lexus NX 350h