NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Am I the only one without new software update?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-22, 11:51 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 714 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by nx450hfspt
I also want to see if OTA works for my NX or not though.
Understood. To be honest, I would probably be the same way, up to a point, and especially if I weren’t experiencing any major issues. After a career in IT I am somewhat “programmed” to obtain software updates as soon as available due to potential security ramifications. This predisposition makes it harder for me to wait, but I have been stung by a few software rollouts that weren’t fully baked so there are arguments on both sides of early adoption. To your point, I would also like to verify the OTA works as expected so I understand if there is a need to monitor the website for future releases.
Old 04-04-22, 12:17 PM
ct6978
Intermediate

Received 171 Likes on 100 Posts

My NX still says no software update available. Lexus app says so too. Am I the only one left?
Nope, very frustrated here too.....!
Old 04-04-22, 12:24 PM
ct6978
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TechNut
Have those of you looking for the update checked https://drivers.Lexus.com? In the past, they would only push the small updates over the air. The large updates had to be downloaded to a USB flash drive and applied through the menu. Might be worth a check? This was the case with the update I recently installed on my 2021 RX which was 1 GB in size. If you do have to download it, be sure the flash drive you are using is formatted as Fat32.
Per the bulletin, this one is intended to be installed primarily via WiFi, and in fact they recommend against the USB approach for some reason. In theory it rolls out via cellular and WiFi, but they suggest WiFi as the first choice.

Here's the recommendation against the USB:

NOTE
 The USB method should ONLY be used when the head unit is five or more versions out-of-date or if the Wi-Fi/Cellular method of updating is unsuccessful.
 Multiple files can NOT be on the same USB flash drive, if there are two files on the drive beginning with "rb_update" the software installation will not begin.

Here's the version table:

Table 1. Software Version Information
TYPE PREVIOUS VERSION CURRENT VERSION
HU Version 1002, 1005, 1007, 1020 1025
VD Version 1001 1010
Old 04-04-22, 07:10 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 714 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by ct6978
Per the bulletin, this one is intended to be installed primarily via WiFi, and in fact they recommend against the USB approach for some reason. In theory it rolls out via cellular and WiFi, but they suggest WiFi as the first choice.

Here's the recommendation against the USB:

NOTE
 The USB method should ONLY be used when the head unit is five or more versions out-of-date or if the Wi-Fi/Cellular method of updating is unsuccessful.
 Multiple files can NOT be on the same USB flash drive, if there are two files on the drive beginning with "rb_update" the software installation will not begin.

Here's the version table:

Table 1. Software Version Information
TYPE PREVIOUS VERSION CURRENT VERSION
HU Version 1002, 1005, 1007, 1020 1025
VD Version 1001 1010
Thanks for sharing those details. That strategy definitely represents a shift from older generation models. Now I see why owners are just waiting until a notice appears on the screen.
Old 04-04-22, 07:56 PM
jatwell
Pit Crew

Received 63 Likes on 46 Posts

Got mine yesterday over cellular (OTA). The download took very little time and about 10 minutes to install. Restart and done. No issues.
The following users liked this post:
lsft (04-04-22)
Old 04-05-22, 12:23 PM
ct6978
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TechNut
Thanks for sharing those details. That strategy definitely represents a shift from older generation models. Now I see why owners are just waiting until a notice appears on the screen.
Toyota/Lexus has really had a grab bag mix of approaches over the year, I've downloaded and installed many myself and had to practically beg dealers to install them in others (I usually just tell them to check at every service, and that I'm having Bluetooth and reboot issues, which is typically the case). I just wish they'd post the details somewhere customer could see them as I'm generally more interested than the typical service folks.

It is a little frustrating not to have gotten this one yet, the rollout has been going on for weeks now....I probably should just stop checking every day and it'll just show up.
Old 04-07-22, 06:25 AM
NX450h
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Okay finally got the update.
however immediately afterwards my phone wouldn’t connect via Bluetooth. This was happening sporadically before. It connects after switching profiles/rebooting the console. So basically although they say they have addressed connectivity issues I don’t think they have fixed them all.

I’ll report on whether they have improved the “profile not loaded” issues.

I imagine they will continue to ship updates every six months as needed.
The following users liked this post:
lsft (04-07-22)
Old 04-07-22, 07:01 AM
nitrolada
Pit Crew

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by NX450h
Okay finally got the update.
however immediately afterwards my phone wouldn’t connect via Bluetooth. This was happening sporadically before. It connects after switching profiles/rebooting the console. So basically although they say they have addressed connectivity issues I don’t think they have fixed them all.

I’ll report on whether they have improved the “profile not loaded” issues.

I imagine they will continue to ship updates every six months as needed.
I would disconnect/remove your phone from car and add it back and try.

Always good especially after a software update be it for your phone or car to remove/add it back especially if you have issues
Old 04-07-22, 08:54 AM
danieljchu
Rookie

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

After reading this update I went to my 450h+ and was prompted to update. Despite checking the new iPhone app before and during the update saying no update available, the car report an update, downloaded and applied it! No issues to speak of post update.
Old 04-07-22, 11:09 AM
nx450hfspt
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Finally got the new software update this morning via OTA. So far don't see any changes.
Old 04-07-22, 11:29 AM
midcow3
Racer

Received 531 Likes on 347 Posts
Exclamation Yep, this first one might be a just smoke screen

Finally got the new software update this morning via OTA. So far don't see any changes.
Yep, this first one might be a smoke screen to buy some time until they can get the cats herded ( memory, profiles, smart keys, wallet keys, phone apps, etc. )

YMMV,
MidCow3
Old 04-07-22, 11:48 AM
PathofSam
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry if this is a dumb question, new Lexus owner here. How do you check for update through the app?
Old 04-07-22, 11:48 AM
NX450h
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by midcow3
Yep, this first one might be a smoke screen to buy some time until they can get the cats herded ( memory, profiles, smart keys, wallet keys, phone apps, etc. )

YMMV,
MidCow3
Oh I’m certain they fixed some bugs, probably not all of them and probably introduced some new ones. Such is the lifecycle of software. Will take time. I’m actually glad they aren’t making drastic changes (ahem Tesla) that disrupt things like muscle memory etc.
Old 04-07-22, 12:04 PM
midcow3
Racer

Received 531 Likes on 347 Posts
Lightbulb

YMMV,
MidCow3
Originally Posted by NX450h
Oh I’m certain they fixed some bugs, probably not all of them and probably introduced some new ones. Such is the lifecycle of software. Will take time. I’m actually glad they aren’t making drastic changes (ahem Tesla) that disrupt things like muscle memory etc.
@NX450h I agree small changes fixed. The problem with profiles/apps/smart keys/memory NOT FIXED - That is the current BIG issue, Lexus doesn't have a cat herder solution yet.

YMMV,
MidCow3

P.S. - Tesla is a software company and thinks and implements like a software company. Lexus is a customer oriented car company and not a software company; completely different update philosophy
Old 04-07-22, 12:38 PM
nx450hfspt
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

P.S. - Tesla is a software company and thinks and implements like a software company. Lexus is a customer oriented car company and not a software company; completely different update philosophy
Agree. Tesla's UI (both in-car and iOS app) is much more polished and smooth. I believe Toyota/Lexus outsources their software development or licenses from third party.

Quick Reply: Am I the only one without new software update?