NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

run flat tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-22, 09:44 PM
gman2727
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by midcow3
OKAY, I get it this question is important to you because you have posted that EXACT same response in 3 or 4 threads. The following are my opinion and maybe the best answers you will get

I know of NO dealer that will do this; Good Luck if you find one.

You could purchase the 18 Inchs at dealer. Not sure a 19-inch is available at the dealer with same bolt pattern. Most likely you would be better puchasing outside the dealer.via third party; make sure bolt pattern matches.

Tire warranty follows the tires, not the vehicle.

Option 1: the Best advice is to wait until the run=flats wear out and then replace them with conventional tires. Run-flat tires are heavier, noisier, and have a very limited life. Generally, with run-flats, if you do have a failure you can continue to drive 50 miles and then replace the tires. Most tire failures, excluding minor nail punctures, required tire replacement. These days, tires are much much higher quality and do not fail near as frequently as 20-30 years ago, even 10 years ago. That is why many vehicles offer only puncture repair or run-flat tires instead of full-size or mini- spares. If being stranded is of concern get a roadside service such as AAA and have peace of mind.

Ride smoothness is also associated with tire height. A higher tire wall height is usually associated with a smaller tire size. So the 20-inch 235/50 R20 has a smaller tire wall height 50 and gives better tire handling control. But realize these are SUVs, not sports carts even with the F Sport you do not get sports car handling. The 18-inch 235/60 R18will give a smoother tide because of the taller tire wall height 60.

Contrary to some other opinions, I have had run-flat tires and I do not replace them with run-flat tires when they need to be replaced. Conventional tires are so much better in so many ways: longer tire life, less weight, smoother ride, less noisy. If I have a rare flat or pothole blow-out, I call AAA. And yes it can happen.

Option 2 : replace rims and tires. You can get your 20k worth of miles out of the OEM tires or replace day 1. You need to go to a third party ( IMHO recommended; I guess you could buy Lexus 18 rims and put on 18-inch tires ( don't have to be Lexus)) If you get a taller tire wall size, you will get a smoother ride but less controlled.

Good Luck,

YMMV,
ModCow3

P.S. - I personally plan to run on the 20-inch OEM run flats until moral wear shows, about 20K miles, then I plan to replace the tires only with convention tires. At this time there are only a few 235/50 R20 tire choices and I will pick the MICHELIN CROSSCLIMATE2 235 /50 R20 104V XL BSW with 60,000-mile warranty. about $268 each
Really appreciate the detailed response as you obviously can tell I am probably overthinking the entire situation. But hey, never hurts to be educated in a decision of which your reply certainly puts me much closer to that indeed!
The following users liked this post:
Doug007 (12-21-23)
Old 07-21-22, 02:02 PM
huntid2020
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jeff1762
I have my name on a waiting list to purchase a 2022 NX 350h.

I was surprised to learn that the 2022 NX series cars are being built with run flat tires. I've never driven a car with this type of tire but from what I read online the ride quality is not as good as a regular tire. One of the primary reasons for me purchasing a Lexus is the ride quality amongst other things. Can anyone respond as to how they feel about ride quality with run flat tires versus regular tires? Should I be concerned?
I have the new 2022 NX450h+ and I am VERY DISAPPOINTED with the run flat tires. The problem is the steering wheel vibration is so strong it's making my hands numb after driving for 45 minutes. I am so pissed. This is my 11th Lexus and I have never had an issue until now. We'll see what the Lexus dealer says.
Old 07-21-22, 02:42 PM
lsft
Racer

Received 581 Likes on 387 Posts

Originally Posted by huntid2020
I have the new 2022 NX450h+ and I am VERY DISAPPOINTED with the run flat tires. The problem is the steering wheel vibration is so strong it's making my hands numb after driving for 45 minutes. I am so pissed. This is my 11th Lexus and I have never had an issue until now. We'll see what the Lexus dealer says.
I've driven hours on the NX450h+ and do not have vibrations that cause hands to be numb... is the tires balanced?
Old 07-21-22, 03:45 PM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

Hands numb after 45 minutes from shaking steering wheel and you haven't taken it to dealer immediately!. It is not the run flats, it's something else. I find this comment a little far fetched...sorry
The following 3 users liked this post by FastFord:
Kusala (07-21-22), Randyp1234 (07-21-22), SenorValas (07-22-22)
Old 07-22-22, 06:12 AM
NiCoRe
Driver

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

Could be over inflated tires. It occurred to me once, the dealer forgot to adjust tire pressure and left them with the very high pressure it was set to go through the transportation process from factory to dealership...
I have read (for another brand) that dealers sometimes forgot some suspension wedges used to prevent excessive suspension movement during transportation...definitely something no tied to runflats
Old 07-22-22, 06:22 AM
Randyp1234
Advanced

Received 229 Likes on 166 Posts

When I started reading this forum section after we placed our order I read everyone talking about how the run flat tires pretty much rode like a lumber wagon and was pleasantly surprised when we got ours that it really drove pretty good.
Old 07-22-22, 06:24 AM
midcow3
Racer

Received 538 Likes on 352 Posts
Talking Lumber wagon

Originally Posted by Randyp1234
When I started reading this forum section after we placed our order I read everyone talking about how the run flat tires pretty much rode like a lumber wagon and was pleasantly surprised when we got ours that it really drove pretty good.
Lumber wagons have vastly improved over the years.
Old 07-22-22, 06:52 AM
Susido
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Now that Michelin supplies their Crossclimate all-weather tires in the matching 235/50R20 104V XL BSW size, I'd be fine with replacing the run-flats with them. They have acceptable winter performance needed for my prairie climate and I'm so tired of swapping out separate winter wheels twice a year. But what should we do with those original almost brand new very expensive run-flats?? Try to sell them privately or do some tire shops welcome trade-ins? Ideally I'd drive on the run-flats until they are pretty much worn out but it's going to be risky first surviving a couple of winters with them.

Old 07-22-22, 07:37 AM
NiCoRe
Driver

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Susido
Now that Michelin supplies their Crossclimate all-weather tires in the matching 235/50R20 104V XL BSW size, I'd be fine with replacing the run-flats with them. They have acceptable winter performance needed for my prairie climate and I'm so tired of swapping out separate winter wheels twice a year. But what should we do with those original almost brand new very expensive run-flats?? Try to sell them privately or do some tire shops welcome trade-ins? Ideally I'd drive on the run-flats until they are pretty much worn out but it's going to be risky first surviving a couple of winters with them.
Same question for me, I will gladly switch to 4 seasons tires but will wear out the run flats first , very little snow over here (at worst a couple of inches every winter) but slippery and muddy country roads are common from October until mid April in Normandy...
Old 07-22-22, 09:14 AM
gman2727
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Out of curiosity, what is everyone doing if they get a flat with original run flat tires (that is not repairable and don’t have the tire and wheel protection)? Are you replacing for another run flat or swapping for a conventional tire? Can you mix and match is it an all or nothing kind of approach?

Just trying to gauge the best way to go about it as the run flats as everyone knows are not exactly cheap.
Old 07-22-22, 03:05 PM
midcow3
Racer

Received 538 Likes on 352 Posts
Lightbulb if warranty replace 1 tire under 20K miles

Originally Posted by gman2727
Out of curiosity, what is everyone doing if they get a flat with original run-flat tires (that is not repairable and don’t have the tire and wheel protection)? Are you replacing for another run flat or swapping for a conventional tire? Can you mix and match is it an all-or-nothing kind of approach?

Just trying to gauge the best way to go about it as the run flats as everyone knows are not exactly cheap.
Depending on the tread life left and if the original tire warranty is in effect,. Early in tire life less than 15K miles and tire warranty pays most of the tire cost, replace the tire. greater than 15k to 25K toss-up
25k or greater, run flats are shot replace all tires with non-run flats. Your decision points may be different.. warranty tire cost replacement is usually less than $50.

If no flats or tire problems, I plan to replace all 4 tires at 20K miles with non-run flats

YMMV.
MidCow3

P.S. - everything AOK on my NX, sold trade-in, checked in with Lexus dealer today, looked at some NXs they had ( much more awesome in person than I imagined).. dwon to 4-8 weeks until ownership.

Old 07-22-22, 03:58 PM
huntid2020
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FastFord
Hands numb after 45 minutes from shaking steering wheel and you haven't taken it to dealer immediately!. It is not the run flats, it's something else. I find this comment a little far fetched...sorry
Mr Ford, it is at the dealer now.
lsft (07-23-22)
Old 07-22-22, 06:19 PM
Earman
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by gman2727
Out of curiosity, what is everyone doing if they get a flat with original run flat tires (that is not repairable and don’t have the tire and wheel protection)? Are you replacing for another run flat or swapping for a conventional tire? Can you mix and match is it an all or nothing kind of approach?

After only 4 months I got a screw in my left front wheel run flat tire (235/50R20). First shop I went to told me I needed to buy 4 new tires. Then a BigOtire store did fix the tire (patch from the inside, not a plug) but the repair was Cad$140 with tax. They guaranteed me the repair was making the tire as good as new...

I am planning to replace all 4 tires with not run flat 3PMSF rated tires in the fall. I am wondering if I am better to go for the Nokian WRG4 SUV (245/50r20) or the Michelin Crossclimate2 (235/50R20). I have had the Nokian WRG4 on an other car before and loved them... If I go for the 18" I will need to buy a new set of rims... Any suggestions?

Last edited by Earman; 07-23-22 at 08:31 PM.
Old 07-22-22, 07:35 PM
ct6978
Intermediate

Received 171 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Earman
After only 4 months I got a screw in my left front wheel run flat tire (235/50R20). First shop I went to told me I needed to buy 4 new tires. Then a BigOtire strore did fix the tire (patch from the inside, not a plug) but the repair was Cad$140 with tax. They guaranteed me the repair was making the tire as good as new...

I am planning to replace all 4 tires with not run flat 3PMSF rated tires in the fall. I am wondering if I am better to go for the Nokian WRG$4 (245/50r20) or the Michelin Crossclimate2 (235/50R20). I have had the Nokian WRG4 on an other car before and loved them... If I go for the 18" I will need to buy a new set of rims... Any suggestions?
I had the CrossClimate2 on our 2015 RAV4 prior to getting the NX, and found them to be really good tires. Great grip in dry and wet, at least or what the car/tires were. Slightly noisier than the previous tires on the car (Michelin Primacy if I remember correctly) but well worth it. Didn't have them long enough (perhaps 15-20K miles) to figure out longevity. I seem to remember the reviews on TireRack were really positive when I was researching new tires.
Earman (07-22-22)
Old 07-23-22, 06:36 AM
lsft
Racer

Received 581 Likes on 387 Posts

Mr Ford, it is at the dealer now.
Let us know what the dealership says as it's not normal for it to vibrate.

Quick Reply: run flat tires