will it hit the Brake Calipers?
Old 08-02-22, 09:44 AM
nitrolada
Pit Crew

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by skyliner8
Anyone know if I can put 17" snow tire rim set on NX350H 235 65 17

will it hit the Brake Calipers?
unlikely any 17" will clear the calipers. you can test fit it (make sure to do it front and back if you do). even for 18", depending on style..you may be cutting it close without a test fit. or be willing to shave your calipers
Old 08-02-22, 10:18 AM
skyliner8
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nitrolada
unlikely any 17" will clear the calipers. you can test fit it (make sure to do it front and back if you do). even for 18", depending on style..you may be cutting it close without a test fit. or be willing to shave your calipers
Thanks will give it a try in the Fall time
Old 11-19-22, 07:09 PM
RobF
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

2022nx here. I have no idea what people are talking about when they say run flat are a bumpy ride. First vehicle I’ve ever owned with run flat and there is no difference in the ride. What I don’t like is, the tires are $500 a pop and can’t be repaired like a non run flat can.
The following users liked this post:
Doug007 (11-20-22)
Old 11-19-22, 07:56 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,516 Likes on 1,796 Posts

Originally Posted by RobF
2022nx here. I have no idea what people are talking about when they say run flat are a bumpy ride. First vehicle I’ve ever owned with run flat and there is no difference in the ride. What I don’t like is, the tires are $500 a pop and can’t be repaired like a non run flat can.
wait til you see how long they last.
Old 11-19-22, 09:10 PM
midcow3
Racer

Received 538 Likes on 352 Posts
Lightbulb Non run flat regular tire are much much better

Well yes, the 20 inch run-flats ride pretty good, but the non run flats will ride much better, last 3 times longer, get better mileage, be quieter, and cost less.

Run flats really can't be repaired, and regular tires are much less than $500 per tire. There were only a few 235/50 R20 regular tires but now there are quite a few and more and more every day.

Your choice, but to me it is a no brainer.

YMMV,
MidCow3
Old 11-19-22, 10:36 PM
RobF
Rookie

Originally Posted by mikemu30
wait til you see how long they last.
they don’t last long if you run over a nail. And I’m currently in the midst of my first scare. Weather just got very cold recently so I know that plays a factor but out of the blue my driver rear dropped 3psi. Put air in it today and I’m hoping I’ll be ok. If not, $500 right out the window.

I mean at the end of the day you have no choice. That’s what the vehicle comes with. When I need new tires I have the option to switch. I would never opt for run flat tires but again I had no choice. I could’ve purchased the tire and wheel insurance for $2500 but I had that on my last vehicle for $1800 and did not get my moneys worth so I passed. Tires are $500 a pop and the wheels are $1000. I have the cloudburst f sport with the black wheels. Beautiful vehicle, the run flats make me nervous. Another factor is the roads in the northeast where I live are not the greatest.
Old 11-20-22, 05:26 AM
Earman
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

I never experienced a bumpy ride with the NX run flat tires. I understand that they can become noisy after about 15000km. I replaced mine a few weeks ago with non run flat Michelin cross weather 2. I had less than 5k on the run flat. I had 1 slow leak puncture on the left front tire, in the flat rolling surface. I took it to a well known repair place and they refused to touch it. They sent me to a remote place near Vancouver (BC) which did repair it, as it was in safe zone, but that cost me Cad$245, half the cost of a tire... I am glad I now switched to non run flat. I bought a tire repair kit and I have towing coverage.
Old 11-20-22, 10:38 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Such negativity. I can't believe Lexus would provide run flats as standard equipment without good reason. I've only had my NX a few weeks but I must say this is the quietist, and smoothest ride I've ever had. So far I love them.
The following users liked this post:
Doug007 (11-20-22)
Old 11-20-22, 10:40 AM
RobF
Rookie

Originally Posted by rogerh00
Such negativity. I can't believe Lexus would provide run flats as standard equipment without good reason. I've only had my NX a few weeks but I must say this is the quietist, and smoothest ride I've ever had. So far I love them.
agree 100% about the ride. It’s perfect, I notice no difference. My only gripe is they can’t be repaired.
Old 11-20-22, 11:04 AM
Doug007
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

agree 100% about the ride. It’s perfect, I notice no difference. My only gripe is they can’t be repaired.

Same here - going to run them as long as I can and then replace, most likely with Michelin CressTrek as we live in snow country. For now, I'll use during warmer weather and change out with winter tires for another year or two, providing we don't get have an issue with run flats (i.e. a tire that's not repairable).
Old 11-20-22, 11:14 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,516 Likes on 1,796 Posts

they don’t last long if you run over a nail. And I’m currently in the midst of my first scare. Weather just got very cold recently so I know that plays a factor but out of the blue my driver rear dropped 3psi. Put air in it today and I’m hoping I’ll be ok. If not, $500 right out the window.

I mean at the end of the day you have no choice. That’s what the vehicle comes with. When I need new tires I have the option to switch. I would never opt for run flat tires but again I had no choice. I could’ve purchased the tire and wheel insurance for $2500 but I had that on my last vehicle for $1800 and did not get my moneys worth so I passed. Tires are $500 a pop and the wheels are $1000. I have the cloudburst f sport with the black wheels. Beautiful vehicle, the run flats make me nervous. Another factor is the roads in the northeast where I live are not the greatest.
They won't last long even if you never run over a nail!
Old 11-20-22, 11:33 AM
midcow3
Racer

Received 538 Likes on 352 Posts
Question how can you actually compare?

You say you notice no difference, so you have also had regular tires on your NX.? If so why oh why did you change back to run flat tire? The riding dynamics and suspension of the NX are such that the NX rides very well EVEN on run-flat tires.

To be truthful, you really can't make the statement "I notice no difference" because you have not driven a 2022 or 2023 Lexus NX with regular tires.

Run flat tires are heavier and stiffer and by all physical and scientific indications would not run as smooth as a lighter more flexible tire. It my be awhile , since I don't drive a lot of miles, but when I change to regular tires <i.e. non-run flat> I will give you my honest humble opinion of the ride differences and other differences between the two tire types.

Peace and Good Will

YMMV,
MidCow3

Last edited by midcow3; 11-20-22 at 11:38 AM.
Old 11-20-22, 11:55 AM
Earman
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerh00
I totally agree with you that the ride was quite nice with the run flat and absolutely no different than a regular tire. The reports I have read about them say that they only become noisy around 15000kms and they last significantly less than regular tires. This is not why I replaced them! I did not want to keep them because I do not see the advantage of being able tio drive up to 60 or 70 kms to a repair place only to be told they can't be repaired and that I have to buy 4 new tires (2 tires on 2 wheel drive, 4 tires on all wheel drive)... And that is assuming they have the replacement tires in stock, otherwise you are stranded on your highway trip... It would be totally different if they were repairable like a regular tire. I believe Lexus, and other manufacturers, put them on to save the cost of a spare wheel and tire and to save weight and space. However, the main reason I ditched them was that I wanted a 3PMSF rated all weather tire. I would have kept the run flats until they needed replacement, or become too noisy, should they have been 3PMSF....It did cost me over $2000 to replace them and absolutly no one was interested in buying my run flat used (at just 3000km) asking 30% of the cost for essentially brand new tires... In 3 weeks I did not get a single inquiry and the tires stores were not intetested in selling them for me, I eventually had to ditch them. Being 20" and run flat made them really hard to resell. People who are interested in this type of tires want new ones as thry can't be guaranteed the tire has not already been used running flat... In my case I had a slow leak (construction screw in tire) so I never experienced driving flat. I was lucky I could fix it (even if it did cost half the price of a new tire) without having to buy a set of new tires on the spot.... So, yes the run flats do run as smoothly as an other non run flat tire, at least when they are new. They never made any noise. If they improve them by making them really repairable that would be a totally different situation IMHO. I love my NX450h and those tires were my only disappointment. With the new Michelin Cross Climate 2 I feel definitely better, even without a spare. Of course this is only my opinion and I totally understand that other people may love the run flats; they are just not for me as my experience has not been good trying to repair them. As for the reports they may become noisy after 15000kms I have no experience with that as I ditched mine at around 3000km.
Old 11-20-22, 01:45 PM
RobF
Rookie

Originally Posted by midcow3
You say you notice no difference, so you have also had regular tires on your NX.? If so why oh why did you change back to run flat tire? The riding dynamics and suspension of the NX are such that the NX rides very well EVEN on run-flat tires.

To be truthful, you really can't make the statement "I notice no difference" because you have not driven a 2022 or 2023 Lexus NX with regular tires.

Run flat tires are heavier and stiffer and by all physical and scientific indications would not run as smooth as a lighter more flexible tire. It my be awhile , since I don't drive a lot of miles, but when I change to regular tires <i.e. non-run flat> I will give you my honest humble opinion of the ride differences and other differences between the two tire types.

Peace and Good Will

YMMV,
MidCow3
no, what I am saying is this is the first vehicle I’ve had run flat tires on. I have an older RX with regular tires. There is no difference in ride smoothness or noise as far as a quiet ride.

Quick Reply: run flat tires