NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

run flat tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-22, 02:40 PM
Earman
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by midcow3
You say you notice no difference, so you have also had regular tires on your NX.? If so why oh why did you change back to run flat tire? The riding dynamics and suspension of the NX are such that the NX rides very well EVEN on run-flat tires.

To be truthful, you really can't make the statement "I notice no difference" because you have not driven a 2022 or 2023 Lexus NX with regular tires.

Run flat tires are heavier and stiffer and by all physical and scientific indications would not run as smooth as a lighter more flexible tire. It my be awhile , since I don't drive a lot of miles, but when I change to regular tires <i.e. non-run flat> I will give you my honest humble opinion of the ride differences and other differences between the two tire types.

Peace and Good Will

YMMV,
MidCow3
To be fair, like RobF I had never driven the NX450h with regular tires before either. However, I drove 3 years an NX300h with regular and snow tires, non of them run-flat. This is what I am comparing to when I say those run flat were smooth and quiet, at least during the only 3000kms I drove them with (mainly city driving only 1000kms highway)...

Since I have the Michelin non-run-flat I noticed a slight difference the first day or 2 and then i did not notice anymore. I am not sure if it was noise or smoothness related, it was just slightly different, maybe just because brand new. Now I can't tell the difference anymore. I only have about 1500kms on those new tires though.

Last edited by Earman; 12-10-22 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Corrected from NX 350h to NX 300h
Old 12-08-22, 08:36 PM
NYPHIL
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please change to these tires

Get these:
PIRELLI SCORPION AS PLUS 3

Crossover/SUV Touring All-Season

I’ve had a 2015 NX, 2017 NX, currently a 2020 RX. Plan to get 2023 NX hybrid.
with all of them I hated the noise and ride with the original tires.
Once I switched to these tires it was like a miracle. Smooth as butter and wear well. The change in noise and ride was unbelievable.
Greatest tires I’ve ever used.

Lexus should be ashamed to put such terrible original tires on their vehicles.
Old 12-09-22, 09:58 AM
Gen2NX
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
But then you have no spare?
When you bought your car you didn’t have a spare . And run flat tires are more of a marketing thing then Reality . It’s like buy paint with primer all in one or say it’s one coat coverage .
You will know that the tire is flat ( meaning zero psi ) and if you do drive on it , it will most definitely cost you a new tire . So you can say , that you will be making a RUN to the nearest tire store .
Old 12-09-22, 01:15 PM
Lex2000TL
Intermediate

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by NYPHIL

Get these:
PIRELLI SCORPION AS PLUS 3

Crossover/SUV Touring All-Season

I’ve had a 2015 NX, 2017 NX, currently a 2020 RX. Plan to get 2023 NX hybrid.
with all of them I hated the noise and ride with the original tires.
Once I switched to these tires it was like a miracle. Smooth as butter and wear well. The change in noise and ride was unbelievable.
Greatest tires I’ve ever used.
I concur. I have these on my NX and these are the best tires I used on any car for years.
Old 12-09-22, 01:37 PM
Earman
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Gen2NX
When you bought your car you didn’t have a spare . And run flat tires are more of a marketing thing then Reality . It’s like buy paint with primer all in one or say it’s one coat coverage .
You will know that the tire is flat ( meaning zero psi ) and if you do drive on it , it will most definitely cost you a new tire . So you can say , that you will be making a RUN to the nearest tire store .
I agree with you, those run flats are a marketing gimmick and very costly to the user. When I had my flat on the run flat, the tire shop wanted me to buy 4 new run flats! They refused to fix it, even though the nail was in the flat top surface of the tire, not on the side. I refused and I now have 4 Michelin Crossclimate2 (NOT run-flat) which are excellent. I don't have a spare but I bought a tire repair kit, including a pump, a can of slimy puncture repair and a needle to plug the hole with a special fibre compound. But it is likely that if it happens on the highway I may need to call for help... The run flat would definitely allow me to continue until I reach a repair place but having to replace 4 tires at that point (most of the time it is not repairable) is way more costly that getting towed to a repair place and get the tire fixed.
Old 12-09-22, 10:16 PM
midcow3
Racer

Received 538 Likes on 352 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Gen2NX
Originally Posted by Earman
I agree with you, those run flats are a marketing gimmick and very costly to the user. When I had my flat on the run flat, the tire shop wanted me to buy 4 new run flats! They refused to fix it, even though the nail was in the flat top surface of the tire, not on the side. I refused and I now have 4 Michelin Crossclimate2 (NOT run-flat) which are excellent. I don't have a spare but I bought a tire repair kit, including a pump, a can of slimy puncture repair and a needle to plug the hole with a special fibre compound. But it is likely that if it happens on the highway I may need to call for help... The run flat would definitely allow me to continue until I reach a repair place but having to replace 4 tires at that point (most of the time it is not repairable) is way more costly that getting towed to a repair place and get the tire fixed.
I respectfully disagree that run flat tires are a marketing gimmick. I have been through many years of cars and tires. ALL tires are much more reliable these days than they were years and years ago. Blowouts still occur much are much rarer. Nail and metal puncture in tires still occur and run flats will usually get you to a tire a tire store or a dealer. However, there are a whole lot of people that never used their spare tire. Spare tires and jacks take up a lot of space. Sometimes this space is reutilized in cars/SUVs for things like hybrid batteries or ML amplifiers.

So we have gone from spares, to pumps and goop, to run flats. I don't necessarily agree with run flats but they do serve the purpose of probability of tire failure versus space and cost of a spare and jack.

I will get rid of my run flats when they start to show wear and will replace with non-run flat tires. I bought a spare tire and will use it on long trips. However, mostly I will rely on having the best tires and AAA.
While I don't like run flats even though more recent run flat tires a greatly improved IMHO run flats are not gimmicks but more of a bridge to the fact that tire quality has improved so much that the probability of needing a spare does not justify the spare cost , jack cost and the space the spare requires,

It boils down to a matter of economics and probability.

Pease and Good Will , Motor On.

YMMV,
MidCow3
The following 2 users liked this post by midcow3:
lsft (12-10-22), nitrolada (12-27-22)
Old 12-10-22, 08:35 AM
Gen2NX
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would definitely prefer a lightweight donut that WOULD get you home ,then a run flat . But the reality for most people is ,that they never check the air psi in the spare tire and it sits so long ( 4 or 5 yrs ) that it’s also flat or close to it . And this just happened with my sons car at 10:30 pm . So he learned to check the spare once a year . But I got the call !

Last edited by Gen2NX; 12-10-22 at 09:22 AM.
Old 12-10-22, 10:50 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 562 Likes on 400 Posts

To be fair, like RobF I had never driven the NX450h with regular tires before either. However, I drove 3 years an NX350h with regular and snow tires, non of them run-flat. This is what I am comparing to when I say those run flat were smooth and quiet, at least during the only 3000kms I drove them with (mainly city driving only 1000kms highway)...

Since I have the Michelin non-run-flat I noticed a slight difference the first day or 2 and then i did not notice anymore. I am not sure if it was noise or smoothness related, it was just slightly different, maybe just because brand new. Now I can't tell the difference anymore. I only have about 1500kms on those new tires though.

Wasn't the NX 350H only released in February of 2022?
Did you test for 3 years on pre-production cars?

Old 12-10-22, 01:52 PM
Earman
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
Wasn't the NX 350H only released in February of 2022?
Did you test for 3 years on pre-production cars?
I think you are confusing 2 models of NX 350h, the 2022 model and the previous model. I now have a 2022 NX 450h but I had a 2016 NX 350h prior and the first model was in 2015... So I drove an NX350h for more than 3 years but I never drove a new model 2022 NX 350h...
Old 12-10-22, 01:57 PM
Earman
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by midcow3
I respectfully disagree that run flat tires are a marketing gimmick. I have been through many years of cars and tires. ALL tires are much more reliable these days than they were years and years ago. Blowouts still occur much are much rarer. Nail and metal puncture in tires still occur and run flats will usually get you to a tire a tire store or a dealer. However, there are a whole lot of people that never used their spare tire. Spare tires and jacks take up a lot of space. Sometimes this space is reutilized in cars/SUVs for things like hybrid batteries or ML amplifiers.

So we have gone from spares, to pumps and goop, to run flats. I don't necessarily agree with run flats but they do serve the purpose of probability of tire failure versus space and cost of a spare and jack.

I will get rid of my run flats when they start to show wear and will replace with non-run flat tires. I bought a spare tire and will use it on long trips. However, mostly I will rely on having the best tires and AAA.
While I don't like run flats even though more recent run flat tires a greatly improved IMHO run flats are not gimmicks but more of a bridge to the fact that tire quality has improved so much that the probability of needing a spare does not justify the spare cost , jack cost and the space the spare requires,

It boils down to a matter of economics and probability.

Pease and Good Will , Motor On.

YMMV,
MidCow3
I agree with you about the cost saving for the manufacturer and the gain of weight. The reason I feel the run flats are not a good solution is that even if they give a bit of extra safety for not being stranded on the highway, the fact that they are rarely repairable (and do not last as long as regular tires) means that one single flat may cost you 4 brand new tires on an AWD. To me that is definitely a show stopper... Should they improve the design so that the run flat tires become as repairable as any other tire, that would be a totally different story.
Old 12-10-22, 02:20 PM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 562 Likes on 400 Posts

I think you are confusing 2 models of NX 350h, the 2022 model and the previous model. I now have a 2022 NX 450h but I had a 2016 NX 350h prior and the first model was in 2015... So I drove an NX350h for more than 3 years but I never drove a new model 2022 NX 350h...
NX350 was introduced in 2022. Prior to that NX hybrid was NX 300h. And it was a completely different vehicle chassis. Drawing NVH comparison between these 2 generations is like apples and oranges.
Old 12-10-22, 02:29 PM
Earman
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
NX350 was introduced in 2022. Prior to that NX hybrid was NX 300h. And it was a completely different vehicle chassis. Drawing NVH comparison between these 2 generations is like apples and oranges.
You are absolutely right! I had an NX 300h, not 350h! My bad!
Old 12-24-22, 07:03 PM
NERAK43
2nd gear

Default RUN Flats

These are the wrose riding tires i have experienced. Im driving a "Lexus" that rides lkie a truck. I paid to much money for luxury to be riding around like I just bought a 2002 used car.

=jeff1762;11263939]I have my name on a waiting list to purchase a 2022 NX 350h.

I was surprised to learn that the 2022 NX series cars are being built with run flat tires. I've never driven a car with this type of tire but from what I read online the ride quality is not as good as a regular tire. One of the primary reasons for me purchasing a Lexus is the ride quality amongst other things. Can anyone respond as to how they feel about ride quality with run flat tires versus regular tires? Should I be concerned?[/QUOTE]
Old 12-24-22, 07:27 PM
NERAK43
2nd gear

Default RUN Flats

These are the wrose riding tires i have experienced. Im driving a "Lexus" that rides lkie a truck. I paid to much money for luxury to be riding around like I just bought a 2002 used car.

=jeff1762;11263939]I have my name on a waiting list to purchase a 2022 NX 350h.

I was surprised to learn that the 2022 NX series cars are being built with run flat tires. I've never driven a car with this type of tire but from what I read online the ride quality is not as good as a regular tire. One of the primary reasons for me purchasing a Lexus is the ride quality amongst other things. Can anyone respond as to how they feel about ride quality with run flat tires versus regular tires? Should I be concerned?[/QUOTE]

Old 12-26-22, 08:09 AM
Dkaplan
Intermediate

Received 131 Likes on 90 Posts

I think the car rides just fine on the run flat tires. Of course I’m used to low profile, hard driving, performance tires in my previous cars.. so maybe I’m just used to a ride that is not like you would find in a LS.
The following 6 users liked this post by Dkaplan:
anniedrea (12-29-22), Bruce128 (12-27-22), Doug007 (12-26-22), hintonwood (12-26-22), nitrolada (12-27-22), redhot47fl (12-26-22) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Quick Reply: run flat tires