NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

IIHS crash and safety testing results

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-22, 12:32 PM
gcskoor
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus22563
This is great news to know that our NX is rated so well. Before I took delivery I looked at the 2021 NX ratings and it was good as well as the Headlights. So when I put the deposit down back in February I felt confident the 22 NX 350h Premium with the regular Bi Led headlights would be rated good. I do like the headlights after using them and really happy with the NX safety ratings.
Most cars today actually get overall pretty good ratings, so the NX is actually typical.

Where there still seems to be lot of room for improvements is the headlight and pedestrian detection. And the new side-impact test. The new NX with its 3.0+ safety system seems to have done very well in headlight and pedestrian protection. But if you looks at the videos, it stills looks scary close to a hit for mot test. I assume partially state-of-art issue and likely some tradeoff of how hard to brake. Just a guess.

And all its NX trims level for headlights get "G." That is surprising still relatively rare. A lot of the other cars still have lower trim with really low rated headlights. Some still don't even have a good headlight rating- like the 2022 Venza with its "A" and "M" headlights. And the RAV$ still has even a trim level with a "P' poor headlight rating.

Last edited by gcskoor; 04-16-22 at 12:35 PM.
Old 04-16-22, 01:57 PM
Lead Lap

Received 793 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by gcskoor

Currently the Rav4 and CRV only get "A"acceptable on the new test. I currently have the CRV and its lower results seem to be due to some structural weakness vs the RAV4 failing mainly for the rear passenger head contact issue.
The 2018 RAV4 had the same side airbag contact issue for the rear passenger. Toyota did not fix it in the 2022 model. So I wouldn't hold my breath on Toyota fixing anything unless they achieve a rating that is low. Once you start getting over the popularity of the RAV4, there are certainly corners cut on that car.

Old 04-17-22, 12:42 AM
gcskoor
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 703
The 2018 RAV4 had the same side airbag contact issue for the rear passenger. Toyota did not fix it in the 2022 model. So I wouldn't hold my breath on Toyota fixing anything unless they achieve a rating that is low. Once you start getting over the popularity of the RAV4, there are certainly corners cut on that car.
Interesting. Overall I have noticed (or so it seems) Toyota badged cars, in general, do not improve the safety design unless a new model year design. For example, the RAV4 small overlap passenger until the 2019 redesign was rated "P" poor. One reason I bought the 2017 CRV.

But the NX in 2019 got the "G" rating even with the older chassis platform that for the same year the RAV4 still got a "P". To me, they "fixed" this on the NX, but waited for the 2019 redesign of the RAV4. In other words, if they improved the small overlap passenger design of the NX, they could have done it to the RAV4- but they did not.

Is that what you mean by cutting corners on the RAV4? I hope I am not reading too much into it, but it does seem Lexus has the resources and motivation to made improvements quicker over similar design Toyota badged cars. One of the reasons I am going for my first 2022 NXLexus. They do seem to add value from what I can see.

I know there is a on-going thread of the RAV4/NX quality differences- if any. But just the IIHS data, to me, indicates they do put more emphasis on quality and features over even similar Toyota badged models, like the RAV4. Both cars could have been make on the same line/same time, but if the design is not upgraded on the RAV4, it would for me still be the less desirable choice no matter how welt is screwed together or where it was built. Or as we computer guys like to say-GIGO.

Last edited by gcskoor; 04-17-22 at 12:45 AM.
Old 04-17-22, 10:32 AM
Ihave1cat
Intermediate

Received 139 Likes on 82 Posts

Interesting. Overall I have noticed (or so it seems) Toyota badged cars, in general, do not improve the safety design unless a new model year design. For example, the RAV4 small overlap passenger until the 2019 redesign was rated "P" poor. One reason I bought the 2017 CRV.

But the NX in 2019 got the "G" rating even with the older chassis platform that for the same year the RAV4 still got a "P". To me, they "fixed" this on the NX, but waited for the 2019 redesign of the RAV4. In other words, if they improved the small overlap passenger design of the NX, they could have done it to the RAV4- but they did not.

Is that what you mean by cutting corners on the RAV4? I hope I am not reading too much into it, but it does seem Lexus has the resources and motivation to made improvements quicker over similar design Toyota badged cars. One of the reasons I am going for my first 2022 NXLexus. They do seem to add value from what I can see.

I know there is a on-going thread of the RAV4/NX quality differences- if any. But just the IIHS data, to me, indicates they do put more emphasis on quality and features over even similar Toyota badged models, like the RAV4. Both cars could have been make on the same line/same time, but if the design is not upgraded on the RAV4, it would for me still be the less desirable choice no matter how welt is screwed together or where it was built. Or as we computer guys like to say-GIGO.
Isn't this true of almost every standard production car company? When you have a new redesign, the plant undergoes retooling, which then will change the body structure and engineering. During a production year - there are incremental facelifts, but those don't typically impact anything such as the structural engineering of the chassis. I mean sure, you could potentially change the metallurgy, tune the crumple zones by changing the material properties, but the actual shape and size of the parts remain the same.

In terms of quality - the thread with the NX being produced in the same assembly line as the Toyota, that's a subjective metric. I've seen the argument go both ways. Cambridge has received a significant amount of attention from the Japanese, and has had a considerable sum of money put into it. Sure, you can argue that Japan has been known to produce the "highest quality tools" - which I agree, I personally use Japanese tools (Mitutoyo calipers, for example - nothing comes close), but at the same time, the missing welds, software issues, and shaking/vibrating side mirror (which was very evident to me when driving at higher speeds) were all things that came out of the Japanese factory. The Cambridge plant has also received a significant number of awards.
It's a toss-up in terms of which one is better. I'd still like my NX to be made in Japan, but, sadly that's not going to happen
Old 04-17-22, 10:56 AM
gcskoor
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Ihave1cat
Isn't this true of almost every standard production car company? When you have a new redesign, the plant undergoes retooling, which then will change the body structure and engineering. During a production year - there are incremental facelifts, but those don't typically impact anything such as the structural engineering of the chassis. I mean sure, you could potentially change the metallurgy, tune the crumple zones by changing the material properties, but the actual shape and size of the parts remain the same.

In terms of quality - the thread with the NX being produced in the same assembly line as the Toyota, that's a subjective metric. I've seen the argument go both ways. Cambridge has received a significant amount of attention from the Japanese, and has had a considerable sum of money put into it. Sure, you can argue that Japan has been known to produce the "highest quality tools" - which I agree, I personally use Japanese tools (Mitutoyo calipers, for example - nothing comes close), but at the same time, the missing welds, software issues, and shaking/vibrating side mirror (which was very evident to me when driving at higher speeds) were all things that came out of the Japanese factory. The Cambridge plant has also received a significant number of awards.
It's a toss-up in terms of which one is better. I'd still like my NX to be made in Japan, but, sadly that's not going to happen
Exactly, most wait until a model year redesign. But the point I was trying to make, Lexus on the NX did not wait until the 2022 model year to improve the small overlap passenger. But on the Rav4, Toyota was apparently ok with letting it have a poor rating until the 2019 redesign. My understanding is both ride on the same platforms, so probable similar redesign was possible.

And the very reason I passed on the RAV4. And at the time, the prior NX with it touchpad was a no-show. But I was impressed Lexus improved the passenger side test results. And one reason I feel confident Lexus will try to fix issues the Toyota badged car may let ride. To pick on the Rav4, even with its latest refresh, is rear camera is as bad as my 2017 CRV. And it TSS is still the older 2.0 version. I really could not find much changes in the refresh, but the new NX just about hits it on all accounts, so Lexus it is for now, if I can ever get one. LOL
Old 04-17-22, 11:50 AM
Ihave1cat
Intermediate

Received 139 Likes on 82 Posts

Exactly, most wait until a model year redesign. But the point I was trying to make, Lexus on the NX did not wait until the 2022 model year to improve the small overlap passenger. But on the Rav4, Toyota was apparently ok with letting it have a poor rating until the 2019 redesign. My understanding is both ride on the same platforms, so probable similar redesign was possible.

And the very reason I passed on the RAV4. And at the time, the prior NX with it touchpad was a no-show. But I was impressed Lexus improved the passenger side test results. And one reason I feel confident Lexus will try to fix issues the Toyota badged car may let ride. To pick on the Rav4, even with its latest refresh, is rear camera is as bad as my 2017 CRV. And it TSS is still the older 2.0 version. I really could not find much changes in the refresh, but the new NX just about hits it on all accounts, so Lexus it is for free now, if I can ever get one. LOL
you and I are very alike in most regards! Those were some of my points. I too come from a Honda CRV. From the same platform, I asked around, and the Lexus dealer had told me (not sure how much truth there is) that the NX 2022 is on a different platform than the RAV4. They don’t share the same “exact” platform even though they are both GA-K based.

I assume the new redesign is the root cause of taking the “lessons learned” of the failures of the Toyota, and improving on them.