NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

IIHS crash and safety testing results

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-22, 10:46 PM
gcskoor
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts
Default IIHS crash and safety testing results

I have been tracking when IIHS would test the new NX 2022. They published the results today. Yeah!

https://www.iihs.org/news/detail/two...ghest-accolade
The following users liked this post:
ct6978 (04-15-22)
Old 04-14-22, 11:41 PM
gcskoor
Pit Crew

One of my main areas of interested was the headlight rating. Both 3B and Bi-level got "G" good rating. But the ratings results are mixed as I read them- each one seems to have its strength and weakness. And 3B are not rated as curve adapter by IIHS- which is true. But the Bi-level is rated as adaptive by IIHS. I believe both are only self-leveling and neither is curve adaptive.

For the 3B, it seems on straight away it is slight better then bi-level. But just a bit. What is totally surprising on the curves the cheaper bi-level seems considerably better. I would have thought the 3B would knock this out of the park on curves.

Now for the bad news, it does look like overall the 3B of the 2021 NX was better overall than the 2022 3B or Bi-level lights- a downgrade? Bummer...

Overall disappointed and was hoping the 3B would really justify the higher price with its cornering lights as a nice bonus. I guess for the 3B you still get the LED front turn signals/cornering lights vs the halogen turn signals on the bi-level trim lights. So probably will stay with the 3B for the led turn signals and cornering lights. But I truly thought the 3B would be the no-brainer choice.

BTW, neither trim light got knocked for excessive glare, which the 2021 did have -"some glare." I guess the trade-off is likely fewer "flashes" for the dimmer 2022 lights.

Anyone else thoughts and observations?

Last edited by gcskoor; 04-14-22 at 11:45 PM.
Old 04-15-22, 08:09 AM
lsft
Racer

Received 600 Likes on 403 Posts

I think Lexus reduced the strength of the lights to meet the optimal rating, but also fix the glare issue in the 1st gen. I do not see that big of a difference when comparing to my old 2018 NX Triple beam to the new 2022 version.

Old 04-15-22, 10:42 AM
Ihave1cat
Intermediate

Received 139 Likes on 82 Posts

So from the way I read this - there are 3 total headlight configurations. Speaking from Canada - there are only two. There are 2 Bi-LED headlights, and one 3B configuration.
  • *50 trim equipped with Triple Beam Headlamps package = 3B Config (auto-level)
  • *50 trim equipped with F SPORT HANDLING AWD package / Luxury package = Bi-LED withauto-leveling (aka the option not available in Canada)
    • ​​​​​​​BI-LED HEADLAMPS WITH ADAPTIVE FRONT LIGHTING SYSTEM* AND DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS - as the Lexus.com site lists them
  • *50 trim = Standard Bi-LED
What's a disappointment to me is that the Bi-LED lights don't have the self-leveling (and supposedly adaptive?) in Canada. This is a no-cost option in the US market.
To me, they seem like the best overall construction, which is odd, as I believe that the 3B could have been so much better if angled correctly, or adaptive.
Matrix LED lighting systems just got approval by NHTSA, so that could be included in future updates.

In terms of the overall score - excellent!

Old 04-15-22, 10:44 AM
ct6978
Intermediate

Received 171 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by gcskoor
One of my main areas of interested was the headlight rating. Both 3B and Bi-level got "G" good rating. But the ratings results are mixed as I read them- each one seems to have its strength and weakness. And 3B are not rated as curve adapter by IIHS- which is true. But the Bi-level is rated as adaptive by IIHS. I believe both are only self-leveling and neither is curve adaptive.

For the 3B, it seems on straight away it is slight better then bi-level. But just a bit. What is totally surprising on the curves the cheaper bi-level seems considerably better. I would have thought the 3B would knock this out of the park on curves.

Now for the bad news, it does look like overall the 3B of the 2021 NX was better overall than the 2022 3B or Bi-level lights- a downgrade? Bummer...

Overall disappointed and was hoping the 3B would really justify the higher price with its cornering lights as a nice bonus. I guess for the 3B you still get the LED front turn signals/cornering lights vs the halogen turn signals on the bi-level trim lights. So probably will stay with the 3B for the led turn signals and cornering lights. But I truly thought the 3B would be the no-brainer choice.

BTW, neither trim light got knocked for excessive glare, which the 2021 did have -"some glare." I guess the trade-off is likely fewer "flashes" for the dimmer 2022 lights.

Anyone else thoughts and observations?
I also didn't think I wanted the 3B lights, but think they work well. I have them on my RCF and while the hi beams are wonderful, the low are weak and I keep meaning to try to adjust them. My wife had an IS with the regular beams and those weren't bad. Our 450 came with them, so we paid for it, and in retrospect, I think the money is worth it. The lows are better than my RCF (higher) and the highs are really good. We live in a rural, mountainous area, so use the highs a lot.

I wanted Advanced Park, but didn't get it, and based on feedback don't really miss it. I also didn't care about Panoramic View/Front Cross Traffic, but now love it and recommend that greatly, particularly the View function. I didn't need the 6.6kW charger (3.3 is fine for overnight) nor the wireless charger/key and still think that was a waste of $.
Old 04-15-22, 10:46 AM
ct6978
Intermediate

Received 171 Likes on 100 Posts

I have been tracking when IIHS would test the new NX 2022. They published the results today. Yeah!

Yeah!!!
Until your shocks come loose from the frame and your VSC shuts itself off trying to keep you upright and out of the ditch!
Old 04-15-22, 10:49 AM
Ihave1cat
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ct6978
Yeah!!!
Until your shocks come loose from the frame and your VSC shuts itself off trying to keep you upright and out of the ditch!
Shocks are optional anyway. That's why the IIHS doesn't include them in their rating.
ct6978 (04-15-22)
Old 04-15-22, 12:36 PM
lsft
Racer

Received 600 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by Ihave1cat
So from the way I read this - there are 3 total headlight configurations. Speaking from Canada - there are only two. There are 2 Bi-LED headlights, and one 3B configuration.
  • *50 trim equipped with Triple Beam Headlamps package = 3B Config (auto-level)
  • *50 trim equipped with F SPORT HANDLING AWD package / Luxury package = Bi-LED withauto-leveling (aka the option not available in Canada)
    • BI-LED HEADLAMPS WITH ADAPTIVE FRONT LIGHTING SYSTEM* AND DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS - as the Lexus.com site lists them
  • *50 trim = Standard Bi-LED
What's a disappointment to me is that the Bi-LED lights don't have the self-leveling (and supposedly adaptive?) in Canada. This is a no-cost option in the US market.
To me, they seem like the best overall construction, which is odd, as I believe that the 3B could have been so much better if angled correctly, or adaptive.
Matrix LED lighting systems just got approval by NHTSA, so that could be included in future updates.

In terms of the overall score - excellent!
Are you sure there is no auto leveling in Canada?
my 450h+ F Sport has auto leveling headlamp system. I'm a bit confused with the two different triple beam headlights.
​​​​​​​

Old 04-15-22, 12:40 PM
Ihave1cat
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lsft
Are you sure there is no auto leveling in Canada?
my 450h+ F Sport has auto leveling headlamp system. I'm a bit confused with the two different triple beam headlights.

Yes and no.
In Canada, auto-leveling is only available on the 3B LED setup. In the US Market, the stock Bi-LED headlights can be outfitted with the auto-leveling (and adaptive) functionality at no charge (they still look the same as the Bi-LED bulbs, complete with the incandescent turn signal indicators). Both the US and Canadian 3B LEDs are auto-leveling.
So, the short answer is yes - you can get the auto-leveling headlights in Canada - any Tri-LED headlights have auto-leveling, however the Bi-LED bulbs aren't.
In the US, the Bi-LED bulbs can also have auto-leveling, which is offered as a no-cost option.

Edit:
So the "3" trims of headlights the IIHS reviewed are:
1) tri-beam LED headlights with auto-leveling
2) bi-LED headlights with auto-leveling and adaptive (whatever the adaptive means) - the ones that us Canadian's can't get, but US can get as a no-cost option
2) bi-LED headlights (same as Canada) that... well just shine light - no auto leveling, just fixed

Last edited by Ihave1cat; 04-15-22 at 12:46 PM.
Old 04-15-22, 12:49 PM
Kusala
Pit Crew

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts

Headlight performance seems more than adequate. The only fault I can critique is that the lights don't corner going around a bend.

Old 04-15-22, 01:30 PM
gcskoor
Pit Crew

Digging a little deeper, on the 3rd bi-level headlight test results (apparently the base trim non-auto leveling one), it has different technical lux measurements vs the 2nd bi-level (the one they claim is curve adaptive, but is probably just the no-cost auto level one) are quite different. The 3rd light test results has more reach, for example, which is odd.

I think this exposes one of the quirks of the IIHS test procedure. They test lights from the factory without any post delivery adjustments. They do this, they claim, since most people will never adjust- and probably is true. The weakness is that a light could be well-designed, but just needs adjustment for optimal results to get the best results.

It is almost certain that the two bi-level light are designed for the same light output, the difference in test results must be just the alignment. In this case, one auto-levels and the other doesn't. Presumably, the auto level is better. I have always wished IIHS would give both results- the "as is" factory setting and what the light adjusted could really do.

Regardless, it does look like al the NX lights this years are similar and hence all got the G rating. And, I assume all have some manual adjustment that one might be able to tweak somewhat. On my current 2017 CRV Touring with it "A" acceptable rating, I had to manually adjust it. Even on its low beams, it was aimed so hight, that the headlight in a snow storm would blind you. Until I adjusted it, it was actually dangerous to drive.
Old 04-15-22, 01:42 PM
gcskoor
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ct6978
Yeah!!!
Yeah, I am not one that assumes all Lexus were designed and make by Toyota gods. That included the SW and HW components. It is just designed and made by man with a few programmed robots to help. LOL

My expectation are pretty basic- hopefully a little better interiors and a few extra options with more sound insulation. And just maybe a little better extra care at the factory and hopefully a lot better at the dealer. That is pretty much it for what I am expecting for my first "L" experience. I am sure I will happy- even more so, since I will hopefully get one with all the fixes applied.
Old 04-16-22, 04:47 AM
Lexus22563
Intermediate

Received 89 Likes on 58 Posts

This is great news to know that our NX is rated so well. Before I took delivery I looked at the 2021 NX ratings and it was good as well as the Headlights. So when I put the deposit down back in February I felt confident the 22 NX 350h Premium with the regular Bi Led headlights would be rated good. I do like the headlights after using them and really happy with the NX safety ratings.
lsft (04-16-22)
Old 04-16-22, 10:34 AM
Lead Lap

Received 783 Likes on 532 Posts

Wasn’t conducted by IIHS and therefore no new side impact side test done. IIHS just used evidence supplied by Toyota. Disappointing you get no videos of it.

Old 04-16-22, 12:20 PM
gcskoor
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 703
Wasn’t conducted by IIHS and therefore no new side impact side test done. IIHS just used evidence supplied by Toyota. Disappointing you get no videos of it.
Yes, IIHS "trust" some manufactures to do self-certification. Gulp....

On the new side impact test, it does seem a very slow rollout of results. It does seems to be limited to only in-house IIHS testing now that your brought it up. Good point.

Currently the Rav4 and CRV only get "A"acceptable on the new test. I currently have the CRV and its lower results seem to be due to some structural weakness vs the RAV4 failing mainly for the rear passenger head contact issue.

Hopefully the NX being now on the same RAV4 base platform, Lexus has adjusted the rear air bags for better protections. But we don't know yet unfortunately. It may take another round of in-house IIHS testing of several new models to see if there are improvements. Overtime, for almost all of the current IIHS test, most cars eventually get to the "G' rating. But it takes some years or new models to get there.

Quick Reply: IIHS crash and safety testing results