NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

NX made on same line as Rav4

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-22, 07:41 PM
LexusQ
Pit Crew

Received 76 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Lakerstrg
Awesome news thanks! How are you guys doing on the Pano roof shortage situation? Is it improving since Lexus added that other premium trim to give buyers the luxury package options minus the Pano roof? Thanks again for the inside scoop!
There is a high number of panoramic RXs being produced. I haven’t noticed any issues. That being said they may just delay the order from production until the roofs are in the supply chain.
Old 04-15-22, 08:57 PM
nxcanada
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would unequivocally say that a NX made in Japan will be superior than one made in canada.

i forgot which video I watched but there's an engineer who says there are qc differences - the Japanese just have more tighter tolerances
Old 04-15-22, 09:05 PM
chuuck1e
Pit Crew

Received 96 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by nxcanada
I would unequivocally say that a NX made in Japan will be superior than one made in canada.

i forgot which video I watched but there's an engineer who says there are qc differences - the Japanese just have more tighter tolerances
I was thinking the same thing, until I read about the recall on Japan built NX's due to welding issues.
Old 04-15-22, 09:20 PM
LStoneX
Intermediate

Received 220 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by chuuck1e
I was thinking the same thing, until I read about the recall on Japan built NX's due to welding issues.
And yes, those pesky spot welds. Must be some trainees from the Cambridge plant who welded them wrong🤪

Different, yes, but according to a few experts, not by much.

AMD of The Care Care Nut channel in one of his videos mentioned this. Any plant that manufacturers Lexus vehicles are held to a very high standard already and there really isn't a ton of difference to make Japanese assembled much superior to Canadian. You are getting the same high quality product. He actually brought on a Toyota/Lexus engineer (who was Japanese BTW) to corroborate his point.

ToyotaJeff said the same thing in his YouTube Channel that the standards are the same.

There's tons of people driving RXs from 10+ years in fantastic shape and those were built here in Canada... Go figure.

Last edited by LStoneX; 04-15-22 at 09:28 PM.
Old 04-15-22, 09:25 PM
nxcanada
Driver School Candidate

I forgot the video but it was an engineer who literally went through an inspection of a Rav4 made in Canada vs a prime made in Japan.

there were qc differences for sure.

as per the weld issue, I wonder what surprises the Cambridge plant will bring up... seems it was only a handful of cars in Japan
Old 04-15-22, 09:29 PM
nxcanada
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=LStoneX;11269553]And yes, those pesky spot welds. Must be some trainees from the Cambridge plant who welded them wrong🤪

AMD of The Care Care Nut channel in one of his videos mentioned this. Any plant that manufacturers Lexus vehicles are held to a very high standard already and there really isn't a ton of difference to make Japanese assembled much superior to Canadian. You are getting the same high quality product.

ToyotaJeff said the same thing in his YouTube Channel and he even brought on one of Lexus engineers (who was Japanese BTW) who said the standards are the same.

There's tons of people driving RXs from 10+ years in fantastic shape and those were built here in Canada... Go figure.[/QUOTE

standards may be the same on paper, but the workmanship isn't and that's what separates Japan vs Canada. There's a reason why the LFA was made by the master takumis of Japan and not the Joe Smoe of Cambridge!
Old 04-16-22, 01:53 AM
Lead Lap

Received 783 Likes on 532 Posts

Not when they are made in Japan. Different factories and assembly lines.

The honest truth if that US or Canadian workers don’t have the same level of craftsmanship on average as the Japanese workers who only exclusively work in the Lexus plants.

It doesn’t matter if the standards are the same. The car is only as good as the sum of its parts and much of that It’s dependent on human assembly.

Last edited by 703; 04-16-22 at 01:57 AM.
Old 04-16-22, 01:56 AM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LStoneX
There's tons of people driving RXs from 10+ years in fantastic shape and those were built here in Canada... Go figure.
A 20 years old Lada from Russia also drives fine. Doesn’t mean much.
Old 04-16-22, 06:12 AM
LexusQ
Pit Crew

Received 76 Likes on 34 Posts

[QUOTE=nxcanada;11269558]
And yes, those pesky spot welds. Must be some trainees from the Cambridge plant who welded them wrong🤪

AMD of The Care Care Nut channel in one of his videos mentioned this. Any plant that manufacturers Lexus vehicles are held to a very high standard already and there really isn't a ton of difference to make Japanese assembled much superior to Canadian. You are getting the same high quality product.

YouTube

ToyotaJeff said the same thing in his YouTube Channel and he even brought on one of Lexus engineers (who was Japanese BTW) who said the standards are the same.

There's tons of people driving RXs from 10+ years in fantastic shape and those were built here in Canada... Go figure.[/QUOTE

Standards may be the same on paper, but the workmanship isn't and that's what separates Japan vs Canada. There's a reason why the LFA was made by the master takumis of Japan and not the Joe Smoe of Cambridge!
The only plant that makes Lexus outside of Japan is Cambridge. That is a testament to the quality produced there. No, the LFA is made completely different than a mass produced vehicle. They only build a handful a year and have a dedicated team with all the time in the world to build. If you can afford that level of quality then why buy an NX or RX? Can’t compare the two.

Build quality strives to be the exact same standards from Japan or Canada. The difference is found in a new production vehicle. All first year production (Canada or Japan) will have higher defect outflow simply because it’s new to all the builders. New parts, new fits, new standards. Give production a year or two and you will get the same level of quality from both plants. Even Japan struggles on a new model (hence the recalls). When you’re buying a mass produced vehicle in its first model year you’re trading quality for having the newest car on the market. The good news is any defects will be covered under recalls for quite some time.
The following users liked this post:
LStoneX (04-16-22)
Old 04-16-22, 06:49 AM
JasDmw
Advanced

Received 238 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusQ
The new 2023 RX is in pilot at the moment in the south Cambridge plant. Production begins in October 2022. Going to be a nice car!
Interesting tidbit, thanks for that. Can you elaborate on the differences? Specifically, is the V6 still available or are they powered only by a 4 cylinder engine.

Last edited by JasDmw; 04-16-22 at 07:51 AM.
Old 04-16-22, 08:44 AM
jchall30
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

[QUOTE=LexusQ;11269662]

The only plant that makes Lexus outside of Japan is Cambridge. That is a testament to the quality produced there. No, the LFA is made completely different than a mass produced vehicle. They only build a handful a year and have a dedicated team with all the time in the world to build. If you can afford that level of quality then why buy an NX or RX? Can’t compare the two.

Build quality strives to be the exact same standards from Japan or Canada. The difference is found in a new production vehicle. All first year production (Canada or Japan) will have higher defect outflow simply because it’s new to all the builders. New parts, new fits, new standards. Give production a year or two and you will get the same level of quality from both plants. Even Japan struggles on a new model (hence the recalls). When you’re buying a mass produced vehicle in its first model year you’re trading quality for having the newest car on the market. The good news is any defects will be covered under recalls for quite some time.
Not sure if your talking about just the NX or all Lexus’s but the Lexus ES line is made in Georgetown KY as well as Japan. I work there.
Old 04-16-22, 09:42 AM
LStoneX
Intermediate

Received 220 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by 703
Not when they are made in Japan. Different factories and assembly lines.

The honest truth if that US or Canadian workers don’t have the same level of craftsmanship on average as the Japanese workers who only exclusively work in the Lexus plants.

It doesn’t matter if the standards are the same. The car is only as good as the sum of its parts and much of that It’s dependent on human assembly.
I wonder how you came to the conclusion that workers in Cambridge or Kentucky don't have the same level of craftsmanship as workers in Japan.

Old 04-16-22, 10:24 AM
Lead Lap

I wonder how you came to the conclusion that workers in Cambridge or Kentucky don't have the same level of craftsmanship as workers in Japan.
1. Because it’s all about experience. Look at the average age and experience of the workers in these plants vs Kyushu / Miyata / Motomachi.

2. Culture and pride. The mentality of exporting a car representing your nations top luxury car brand vs just a 9-5 job and if I’m not happy I’ll complain to a union is very different.

3. Part suppliers quality. This is the number one concern when Lexus decided to make a few models in the US / Canada.

There are exceptions to the rule. I’m talking about average quality. Ie. over hundred of thousands of cars produced. Not individual cases where both Japan and US made can have issues just as bad as each other.

Last edited by 703; 04-16-22 at 10:27 AM.
Old 04-16-22, 10:40 AM
chuckNX
Intermediate

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

For years Lexus only existed in certain countries. The cars were called Toyotas everywhere else.

All of the cars are Toyotas, and the Model is a Lexus blah blah blah.

Same with Acura and Infiniti. It is all marketing.

Shocker, Porsche, Audi, and VW are variants of the same car too.
Old 04-16-22, 10:41 AM
chuckNX
Intermediate

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

[QUOTE=jchall30;11269712]
Originally Posted by LexusQ

Not sure if your talking about just the NX or all Lexus’s but the Lexus ES line is made in Georgetown KY as well as Japan. I work there.
Are Camry's made there too since it is the same car?

Quick Reply: NX made on same line as Rav4