NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

NX made on same line as Rav4

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-22 | 10:50 AM
LStoneX
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 703
1. Because it’s all about experience. Look at the average age and experience of the workers in these plants vs Kyushu / Miyata / Motomachi.

2. Culture and pride. The mentality of exporting a car representing your nations top luxury car brand vs just a 9-5 job and if I’m not happy I’ll complain to a union is very different.

3. Part suppliers quality. This is the number one concern when Lexus decided to make a few models in the US / Canada.

There are exceptions to the rule. I’m talking about average quality. Ie. over hundred of thousands of cars produced. Not individual cases where both Japan and US made can have issues just as bad as each other.
I disagree on a number of fronts:

You can't just say that the average age in Canada and US is lower than in Japan without empirical data; Science doesn't work like that.

Second, do you think the workers in Cambridge or Georgetown don't take any pride in their work because they are not in Japan? That's a gross assumption. It's like saying every American loves guns because you have the 2nd amendment.🙄

Third, so you're actually saying that Lexus will pay no attention to the suppliers and allow any crappy company supply the parts for a Lexus vehicle simply because it's made abroad and they don't care? That's another gross assumption that's probably very won't. Irrespective of where the vehicle is made, it carries the Lexus badge. The Lexus that I know it's very meticulous and particular about their badges irrespective of where the vehicle was manufactured.

I would think a poorly made car out of Cambridge or Georgetown would be the exception rather than the norm.

Lexus always touts their exceptionally high standards and quality of all their cars, irrespective of where it's made. I'll trust Lexus's word than a third party engineer who thinks he knows better than the manufacturer.
Old 04-16-22 | 10:52 AM
LStoneX
Intermediate

[QUOTE=chuckNX;11269776]
Originally Posted by jchall30

Are Camry's made there too since it is the same car?
Camrys are made in Georgetown.
Old 04-16-22 | 11:43 AM
jchall30
Driver

[QUOTE=chuckNX;11269776]

Are Camry's made there too since it is the same car?
yes Camrys Avalons and RAV 4s
Old 04-16-22 | 11:46 AM
jchall30
Driver

Originally Posted by 703
1. Because it’s all about experience. Look at the average age and experience of the workers in these plants vs Kyushu / Miyata / Motomachi.

2. Culture and pride. The mentality of exporting a car representing your nations top luxury car brand vs just a 9-5 job and if I’m not happy I’ll complain to a union is very different.

3. Part suppliers quality. This is the number one concern when Lexus decided to make a few models in the US / Canada.

There are exceptions to the rule. I’m talking about average quality. Ie. over hundred of thousands of cars produced. Not individual cases where both Japan and US made can have issues just as bad as each other.
I don’t know about Cambridge but I know in KY where I work we have people retiring out there with over 30 years experience everyday. I’ve been there 25 years myself. We have a very experienced work force. Also we are not union
The following 3 users liked this post by jchall30:
dklanecky1 (04-17-22), LexusQ (04-16-22), LStoneX (04-16-22)
Old 04-16-22 | 12:47 PM
nxcanada
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 703

2 and 3 hits the nail on the head.
The difference in mentality, attention to detail is worlds apart from the Japanese worker vs. N American Worker.
I remember watching the movie Gung Ho - I still think cultural differences between the workers exist today.

Heard if a Japanese auto worker goes on strike, they actually work harder, prove the benefits of the company increasing their wages with better quality.
N. America - well we all know what happens on our side.

Japan and the art of craftmanship is actually embedded heavily in their culture / Shinto where they treat everything they make as an extension of God, etc.
Old 04-16-22 | 12:48 PM
nxcanada
Driver School Candidate

I actually just think Lexus produces NX and RX in Cambridge due to the lower cost of producing here. It's more of an economical decision if anything than a we want the best quality for these particular model car issue.
Old 04-16-22 | 06:07 PM
chuuck1e
Pit Crew

Our 2012 Camry that was built in Georgetown KY has had no issues whatsoever in the ten years we have owned it. So I am comfortable buying Toyota/Lexus models built outside of Japan.

For several years, including 2012, Camrys were also built at a Subaru facility in Indiana. I made sure that the Camry we bought was from the Toyota Georgetown plant before buying it.

All things being equal, I am happy my new NX was built in Japan, especially now that I have confirmed that the welding recall does not impact my NX.
Old 04-16-22 | 06:26 PM
LexusQ
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by nxcanada
I actually just think Lexus produces NX and RX in Cambridge due to the lower cost of producing here. It's more of an economical decision if anything than a we want the best quality for these particular model car issue.
you keep finding reasons to question the quality of Lexus vehicles built in Canada. Why are you even an owner then? I work at the plant you question. I work in Quality Control. I can tell you first hand we all care about quality. We win awards, we follow the Japanese procedures. Yes, it’s more cost effective shipping 90% of cars to USA, but you think Lexus would sacrifice their brand and reputation over cost savings? No. Quality and safety is the highest priority. You are just offering your opinions with no facts.

You’re free to have your opinions, but they are not based on truth. The RX has been built in Cambridge for MANY years and there aren’t too many owners complaining about quality.

We have rejected a union several times. Team Members are working extra overtime to meet demands. If there is any quality issues with team members it would likely be related to shift work and excessive overtime. I’m sure the same issues are felt by Japanese autoworkers. You seem to have this conception that Japanese factories are filled with mature professional men that you see in sales videos. The workers are most likely young men/women that are overworked as well.

Like I said… quality issues arise on new builds. The plant doesn’t matter. If a line runs at a slower takt time then quality is increased. All TMs need proper training and time to adjust to new processes. Japan or Canada, issues will arise on a new model.

The following 5 users liked this post by LexusQ:
dklanecky1 (04-17-22), hintonwood (04-17-22), jchall30 (04-16-22), lsft (04-16-22), TipsyTonio (04-19-22)
Old 04-16-22 | 06:29 PM
LexusQ
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by JasDmw
Interesting tidbit, thanks for that. Can you elaborate on the differences? Specifically, is the V6 still available or are they powered only by a 4 cylinder engine.
we still don’t have details on the build. We are kept in the dark too
Old 04-16-22 | 06:40 PM
jchall30
Driver

Originally Posted by LexusQ
you keep finding reasons to question the quality of Lexus vehicles built in Canada. Why are you even an owner then? I work at the plant you question. I work in Quality Control. I can tell you first hand we all care about quality. We win awards, we follow the Japanese procedures. Yes, it’s more cost effective shipping 90% of cars to USA, but you think Lexus would sacrifice their brand and reputation over cost savings? No. Quality and safety is the highest priority. You are just offering your opinions with no facts.

You’re free to have your opinions, but they are not based on truth. The RX has been built in Cambridge for MANY years and there aren’t too many owners complaining about quality.

We have rejected a union several times. Team Members are working extra overtime to meet demands. If there is any quality issues with team members it would likely be related to shift work and excessive overtime. I’m sure the same issues are felt by Japanese autoworkers. You seem to have this conception that Japanese factories are filled with mature professional men that you see in sales videos. The workers are most likely young men/women that are overworked as well.

Like I said… quality issues arise on new builds. The plant doesn’t matter. If a line runs at a slower takt time then quality is increased. All TMs need proper training and time to adjust to new processes. Japan or Canada, issues will arise on a new model.

Agree 100%. Same for us in KY. In 2016 Georgetown Ky Plant 3 won the JD Power platinum plant award for best initial quality in the world for the ES300. I believe Canada was won several JD Power awards as well.

Last edited by jchall30; 04-16-22 at 06:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
LexusQ (04-16-22)
Old 04-16-22 | 07:05 PM
RKF350
Intermediate

I’ve owned (all new) a 2001 Tundra, 2007 Solara, 2016 ES 350 (in an accident) and now a 2018 ES 350 all built in KY an no issues.

They were and are all great. No rattles or issues.

2014 IS (Japan) had a faulty computer (drain) and a bad wiper switch. We traded it in at 90,000 miles for the 22 NX 350h.
The following users liked this post:
LexusQ (04-16-22)
Old 04-16-22 | 07:09 PM
Rookie

Originally Posted by LexusQ

Just a quick note to say I really appreciate your work, the work of your Canadian coworkers, and the work of your long-distance coworkers in Japan. While the (now second) NX I drive (a 2022 NX F-sport) was built in Japan, I'd have the same confidence in its quality had it been built in Canada. As I enjoy the results of your labor, I also hope that you and other employees receive the support and respect you deserve.

My first Toyota-branded product was a two-door 1996 RAV-4. It gave me 104,000 miles of reliable and fun transportation and set the stage for my return to the brand's Lexus division.
The following 3 users liked this post by 907:
LexusQ (04-16-22), LStoneX (04-16-22), zanewyn (04-16-22)
Old 04-16-22 | 09:16 PM
nxcanada
Driver School Candidate

Agree 100%. Same for us in KY. In 2016 Georgetown Ky Plant 3 won the JD Power platinum plant award for best initial quality in the world for the ES300. I believe Canada was won several JD Power awards as well.
you really think JD power is an accurate gauge of quality ? JD power is as equivalent to a marketing gimmick.

look I'm not negating North American workmanship. All I'm saying is compared to Japanese factories there is a difference and Japan comes out as #1.
Old 04-16-22 | 09:24 PM
jchall30
Driver

Originally Posted by nxcanada
you really think JD power is an accurate gauge of quality ? JD power is as equivalent to a marketing gimmick.

look I'm not negating North American workmanship. All I'm saying is compared to Japanese factories there is a difference and Japan comes out as #1.
How do you know this?
Old 04-16-22 | 09:28 PM
LStoneX
Intermediate

How do you know this?
Scotty Kilmer says so😜🤪🤣

Quick Reply: NX made on same line as Rav4