NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

NX made on same line as Rav4

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-22, 10:23 PM
jchall30
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by nxcanada
You actually don't make any logical sense. I would recommend you to get some more schooling.
‘Seems like a pretty simple statement
Old 04-17-22, 01:31 AM
Lead Lap

Received 783 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by jchall30
Yes but those parts went into a Japanese made Toyotas that you said has superior parts from suppliers.
Such argument is flawed. Workmanship and resultant quality during manufacturing cannot offset a bad design to begin with. Your comprehension of the problem space is incorrect and continuing on such tangent is not productive.
Old 04-17-22, 01:42 AM
terr1gal
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I’ve had four Toyota Highlanders, three made in Japan and a 2016 from the USA. The 2016 was terrible, it had an engine oil leak at 6000 miles and needed a new transmission. I sold it within 8 months. Very poor quality, and made me decide never to buy a US built Toyota again. Aussie NX’s come from Japan hence why I decided to purchase otherwise I would’ve looked elsewhere.
Old 04-17-22, 01:43 AM
jchall30
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 703
Such argument is flawed. Workmanship and resultant quality during manufacturing cannot offset a bad design to begin with. Your comprehension of the problem space is incorrect and continuing on such tangent is not productive.
‘Your insistence that there are these big manufacturing and quality differences are non productive as well I guess. We will just agree to disagree. No hard feelings.
Old 04-17-22, 06:08 AM
LexusQ
Pit Crew

Received 76 Likes on 34 Posts

‘Your insistence that there are these big manufacturing and quality differences are non productive as well I guess. We will just agree to disagree. No hard feelings.
internet experts.
Old 04-17-22, 06:11 AM
JasDmw
Advanced

Received 238 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusQ
we still don’t have details on the build. We are kept in the dark too
Thanks for the reply.

Boy, this thread is really getting off topic!

Was just wondering if you noticed any of those preproduction RX units had 4 cylinder engines in them, or not. Maybe some of your pals on that line could give you feedback?

As for the quality issues, our original RX350 was a 2008 model year which we bought in the summer of 2008. It had issues with the sunroof cartridge squeaking incessantly. After several dealership visits to fix it, I noticed trim parts were being replaced because they were breaking after being removed/installed several times. So I wrote a letter to Mr. Lexus Canada, included some cheeky language about this particular car having been missed in the "persuit of perfection". A few weeks later the dealership called me to bring that one in and get a new one. As the model year changed, we took a 2009 and upgraded a bit to a Pebble Beach.

Am now on our 3rd RX (4th if you count the 2008) and the 3 from 2009 onwards are/were flawless.
Old 04-17-22, 06:15 AM
LexusQ
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by JasDmw
Thanks for the reply.

Boy, this thread is really getting off topic!

Was just wondering if you noticed any of those preproduction RX units had 4 cylinder engines in them, or not. Maybe some of your pals on that line could give you feedback?

As for the quality issues, or original RX350 was a 2008 model year which we bought in the summer of 2008. It had issues with the sunroof cartridge squeaking incessantly. After several dealership visits to fix it, I noticed trim parts were being replaced because they were breaking after being removed/installed several times. So I wrote a letter to Mr. Lexus Canada, included some cheeky language about this particular car having been missed in the "persuit of perfection". A few weeks later the dealership called me to bring that one in and get a new one. As the model year changed, we took a 2009 and upgraded a bit to a Pebble Beach.

Am now on our 3rd RX (4th if you count the 2008) and the 3 from 2009 onwards are/were flawless.
We only have the shellbody of the 2023 RX. There has yet to be one assembled. Only high level management has those details at the moment
Old 04-17-22, 06:17 AM
JasDmw
Advanced

Received 238 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusQ
We only have the shellbody of the 2023 RX. There has yet to be one assembled. Only high level management has those details at the moment
Ok, thx for that. If it's not too much trouble, let us know what you see down the road.
Old 04-17-22, 11:08 AM
gcskoor
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Hi LEXUSQ, I tend to lean that the important issues is the time for any line in any country to get to an optimal efficiency. You seem to agree, if I read it correctly in this long thread. With that being said, if one could time a purchase out of Cambridge, how many months would it take to get a point most start-up issues/training/supplier issues/etc to stabilized typically?

Thanks

Last edited by gcskoor; 04-17-22 at 11:13 AM.
Old 04-17-22, 12:24 PM
Lead Lap

Did not say “big”. Evidence provided is productive. Not sure how you can disagree with examples from the NHTSA.
Old 04-17-22, 12:33 PM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by terr1gal
I’ve had four Toyota Highlanders, three made in Japan and a 2016 from the USA. The 2016 was terrible, it had an engine oil leak at 6000 miles and needed a new transmission. I sold it within 8 months. Very poor quality, and made me decide never to buy a US built Toyota again. Aussie NX’s come from Japan hence why I decided to purchase otherwise I would’ve looked elsewhere.
Yes all Lexus and Toyota sold in Australia is made in Japan. Apart from the current Highlander. Even though they are priced higher, worth it for the consistent build quality.

I have brought 2 sets of OEM brakes, one from US Lexus dealer and one from local Lexus dealer which source from Japan. The Japan set has thicker and better finished paint job.

Old 04-17-22, 01:48 PM
LexusQ
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by gcskoor
Hi LEXUSQ, I tend to lean that the important issues is the time for any line in any country to get to an optimal efficiency. You seem to agree, if I read it correctly in this long thread. With that being said, if one could time a purchase out of Cambridge, how many months would it take to get a point most start-up issues/training/supplier issues/etc to stabilized typically?

Thanks
The first year will definitely have most issues or risk of potential defect outflow. New model builds begin in the fall typically in Canada. A new 2022 NX build would be from Oct 21- Oct 22 typically. I would say after the first model year the quality will only improve after that.

That being said, I have ordered my NX this April and the build will be from Cambridge plant. I am confident in the quality. An order placed in Mid 22 would likely have most issues ironed out. I have a feeling the wait times will only increase from here. I placed mine early April and build is estimated to be July/August (pano roof).

I hope that helps. I would not worry about mechanical quality. Visual defects and fits are the more difficult quality issues to deal with early on.
The following users liked this post:
gcskoor (04-18-22)
Old 04-19-22, 11:19 AM
lsft
Racer

Received 600 Likes on 403 Posts

A new video on the same topic of Japan vs Canada

Old 04-19-22, 01:18 PM
T24A
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

To my understanding, in Japan only the better Toyota workers graduate and move over to the Lexus lines. They also have the options to call out any fit/finish from their suppliers and since in some instances are a helicopter flight away these things get resolved quicker. Yes a lot of things are automated, and I am sure you will have instances were the cars are of equal quality if not some better than others, but If I have the chance to pick between one over the other I am going with MIJ.
Old 04-19-22, 04:05 PM
evrinus
Driver School Candidate

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Not sure why but I believe things go better when.... .

MB BMW VW from Germany
Toyota Honda from Japan
Ford from US

Quick Reply: NX made on same line as Rav4