NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Adaptive radar cruise control question

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-22 | 03:11 PM
LiBeRtAs
Advanced

Default Adaptive radar cruise control question

Is that even the right name for the cruise control that reacts to the car in front of you?

OK… I have it on and I am following a car and I turn to the other lane (four-lane road two lanes going in each direction) where there is a car further down the road than the one that was in the first lane I was in and car disengages the radar and no longer works, this doesn’t make any sense to me I thought it worked whenever it picked up a car in front of it?

To make sure people know what I’m saying you’re on a four-lane road two lanes going each direction let’s say you’re in the left lane and there’s a car 100 feet in front of you and the radar is keeping its pace/distance between you and that car and you turn into the right lane and there’s a car in that lane but it’s outside of the radar distance and the car speeds up to go the speed you have it set at but when you get to that car that’s in front of you on that lane the car does not slow down and the screen says ready to engage radar or something like that, this means it’s turning off the radar system because there was no car in front of it but that makes no sense.

The radar system should stay on until I touch the brake I thought no matter what at least that’s the way it seems to have worked before and on other cars.
Old 04-21-22 | 03:15 PM
nx450plus
Pit Crew

In double lane highway, I set my speed as x. Car in front of me is going less than x, I will match that speed. I change lanes to pass and my speed returns to x.
Old 04-21-22 | 03:39 PM
LiBeRtAs
Advanced

Originally Posted by nx450plus
In double lane highway, I set my speed as x. Car in front of me is going less than x, I will match that speed. I change lanes to pass and my speed returns to x.
I change lanes and I do not touch the accelerator or the brake, the car speeds up but another car is ahead of me down the road and as I get close to that car I expect the radar to kick in again but it doesn’t. If I had not changed lanes, and the car in front of me changed lanes and there’s now no car in front of me but later still in the same lane a car gets in front of me the radar will kick in again or will respond to that car I assume, so changing lanes apparently kills the system.

If I have lane centering on( this car does not have a lane assist), and I do have it on maybe that is why, I’m not sure.

The car I am in is my wife’s UX 250 H, my NX is not here yet but I thought this was the same in both.
Old 04-21-22 | 03:47 PM
lsft
Racer

The car should continue to have the adaptive unless you turned off the cruise control or stepped on the brake. I have never seen this before. Even my previous 2018 NX, LS and my current 22NX did the same thing.

Not sure what happened in your situation. You should give it a try again.
Old 04-21-22 | 04:20 PM
LiBeRtAs
Advanced

Originally Posted by lsft
The car should continue to have the adaptive unless you turned off the cruise control or stepped on the brake. I have never seen this before. Even my previous 2018 NX, LS and my current 22NX did the same thing.

Not sure what happened in your situation. You should give it a try again.
Have you changed lanes while following a car in one lane then change into the other lane and waiting to see if it will slow down to the car that’s in front of you in the new lane? Have you actually done that?

I like your YouTube videos by the way, I can’t wait to see a deep dive into the wheel buttons and heads up in all that since the wheel buttons are different on the car with heads up versus without.

Last edited by LiBeRtAs; 04-21-22 at 04:24 PM.
Old 04-21-22 | 07:23 PM
lsft
Racer

Originally Posted by LiBeRtAs
Have you changed lanes while following a car in one lane then change into the other lane and waiting to see if it will slow down to the car that’s in front of you in the new lane? Have you actually done that?

I like your YouTube videos by the way, I can’t wait to see a deep dive into the wheel buttons and heads up in all that since the wheel buttons are different on the car with heads up versus without.
I have changed multiple lanes and it does as it should. It will slow down in all situations. When vehicles cut in front or leave the lane it will show vehicles merging in and out.

​​​​​The touch sensitive steering wheel video is in the works. Stay tune!
The following users liked this post:
Susido (04-22-22)
Old 04-22-22 | 10:38 AM
LiBeRtAs
Advanced

Watching a video about the car that it says the car play the Apple CarPlay is wired not wireless I thought it was wireless now?
Old 04-22-22 | 12:27 PM
slowdonald
Rookie

Watching a video about the car that it says the car play the Apple CarPlay is wired not wireless I thought it was wireless now?
It is indeed wireless. We tested a 350h base and wireless CarPlay was indeed there.
LiBeRtAs (04-22-22)
Old 08-18-22 | 06:25 AM
DrunkFuX
Rookie

Is that even the right name for the cruise control that reacts to the car in front of you?

OK… I have it on and I am following a car and I turn to the other lane (four-lane road two lanes going in each direction) where there is a car further down the road than the one that was in the first lane I was in and car disengages the radar and no longer works, this doesn’t make any sense to me I thought it worked whenever it picked up a car in front of it?

To make sure people know what I’m saying you’re on a four-lane road two lanes going each direction let’s say you’re in the left lane and there’s a car 100 feet in front of you and the radar is keeping its pace/distance between you and that car and you turn into the right lane and there’s a car in that lane but it’s outside of the radar distance and the car speeds up to go the speed you have it set at but when you get to that car that’s in front of you on that lane the car does not slow down and the screen says ready to engage radar or something like that, this means it’s turning off the radar system because there was no car in front of it but that makes no sense.

The radar system should stay on until I touch the brake I thought no matter what at least that’s the way it seems to have worked before and on other cars.
Hey, did you ever figure this out?
I have a '17 RX350 and this morning noticed something similar. While searching i found this thread, thought id ask.
The problem im having however is, it is detecting the car infront fine and maintaining speed and distance, however when the car in front slows down, my car starts slowing down as well, but when it slows to about 15mph, it beeps and disengages auto cruise, and on the screen displays Radar Ready, similar to what you mentioned.
It has never done this before... no idea whats going on...
Old 08-18-22 | 07:42 AM
LiBeRtAs
Advanced

Originally Posted by DrunkFuX
I have a '17 RX350 and this morning noticed something similar. While searching i found this thread, thought id ask.
The problem im having however is, it is detecting the car infront fine and maintaining speed and distance, however when the car in front slows down, my car starts slowing down as well, but when it slows to about 15mph, it beeps and disengages auto cruise, and on the screen displays Radar Ready, similar to what you mentioned.
No unless you mean after the car has stopped for more than five seconds or something then it will disengage, should not disengage ever unless you tap the brakes or you come to a complete stop, so this is strange.

Wait. Did your car always stay in radar cruise control or adaptive cruise control down to zero, my 2015 Toyota Highlander hybrid disengaged at 25 miles an hour, it drove me crazy it’s why I wanted this car.

I see you say it has never done this before so I assume yours is like these cars, I don’t know what year Toyota/Lexus changed to them going down to zero.

Last edited by LiBeRtAs; 08-18-22 at 07:45 AM.
Old 08-18-22 | 07:50 AM
LStoneX
Intermediate

I change lanes and I do not touch the accelerator or the brake, the car speeds up but another car is ahead of me down the road and as I get close to that car I expect the radar to kick in again but it doesn’t. If I had not changed lanes, and the car in front of me changed lanes and there’s now no car in front of me but later still in the same lane a car gets in front of me the radar will kick in again or will respond to that car I assume, so changing lanes apparently kills the system.

If I have lane centering on( this car does not have a lane assist), and I do have it on maybe that is why, I’m not sure.

The car I am in is my wife’s UX 250 H, my NX is not here yet but I thought this was the same in both.
Since you're both experiencing this on older cars, maybe that's how the implementation worked previously.

Like others here have said, the implementation works as described in the 22 NX. Except you step in the brakes or touch cancel ( both of which disengage adaptive cruise if on) the car will always maintain the set speed or match the speed of the car ahead of your if it is working radar range. Even when you come to a complete stop, a light tap of the accelerator or the RES button resumes the system.

@lsft does have a video on the adaptive cruise in his NX on his channel. Go check it out.

If you do have LTA and LCA on, and you change lanes manually, the car does a few beeps, the green light for LTA and LCA momentarily flickers to white, and then goes back to green once you are centered in your new lane. That has been my experience with my 22NX.

And Apple Carplay and Android auto are indeed wireless. That YT which said they are not is mistaken.
redhot47fl (08-18-22)
Old 08-18-22 | 02:16 PM
Susido
Driver

Has anyone else encountered an adaptive cruise control error message "Distance Control Off"? I've had that happen twice and it meant I could not set a following distance for a vehicle in front even though adaptive cruise continues to operate (i.e. LTA continues to function).
Old 08-18-22 | 05:24 PM
nx450plus
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Susido
Has anyone else encountered an adaptive cruise control error message "Distance Control Off"? I've had that happen twice and it meant I could not set a following distance for a vehicle in front even though adaptive cruise continues to operate (i.e. LTA continues to function).
I have gotten this message a couple of times while driving on a remote highway. It was for about 8 minutes both times. Although that part of the highway is flat and has fields on both sides, the 3g cell reception drops for me in that area.
Maybe it has something to do with it. Unsure if the radar cruise data stays within the car or is beamed up to a satellite or something.
Old 08-24-22 | 09:17 PM
ct6978
Intermediate

That is how older Lexus systems worked, they added 'All-Speed' starting in some 2018 models, not sure which ones had it, I think it came with LSS+ 2.0. Prior to that the cruise would disengage below a certain speed, fairly recent cars at 25 mph, but I remember an older car flashing the warning at around 35 or 40 and handing the car back to me...pretty annoying.

Lexus was really late to the game with this.

EDIT - Here you are, lists LSS versions with features, you can see the All Speed added in version 2.0:

https://www.jdpower.com/cars/shoppin...ty-system-plus

Last edited by ct6978; 08-24-22 at 09:31 PM.