NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Michelin tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-22, 05:26 PM
jeff1762
5th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Michelin tires

when I take delivery, I plan to have Michelin 20" tires installed to replace the run flats.
has anyone else done the same thing?
is Michelin the best choice?
Old 04-24-22, 05:47 PM
chuuck1e
Pit Crew

Received 96 Likes on 57 Posts

I would go with the Michelin CrossClimate 2 if I were going to change tires. I plan to stick with the Bridgestones that came with the car for now.
Old 04-24-22, 07:06 PM
rdgrimes
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

+1 Cross Climate 2. The best all-season tire ever made.
Old 04-25-22, 07:32 AM
jardlr
Driver

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff1762
when I take delivery, I plan to have Michelin 20" tires installed to replace the run flats.
has anyone else done the same thing?
is Michelin the best choice?
Just curious what your plan for a spare is. When the run flats wear out, I'd like to go with a traditional set as well, but will definitely need a spare. I'm hoping Lexus or another vendor comes up with a retrofit compartment that one will fit in (if they haven't already).

I was told at the dealer they went with the run flats to reduce the weight of the vehicle by not having a spare and squeak out a higher MPG to satisfy government mandates.
Old 04-25-22, 08:00 AM
ctripps2k
Pit Crew

Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by jardlr
Just curious what your plan for a spare is. When the run flats wear out, I'd like to go with a traditional set as well, but will definitely need a spare. I'm hoping Lexus or another vendor comes up with a retrofit compartment that one will fit in (if they haven't already).

I was told at the dealer they went with the run flats to reduce the weight of the vehicle by not having a spare and squeak out a higher MPG to satisfy government mandates.
they are not saving much weight as the Bridgestone RFT is 6 pounds heavier than the Michelin cross climate tire.
Old 04-25-22, 08:15 AM
nitrolada
Pit Crew

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by ctripps2k
they are not saving much weight as the Bridgestone RFT is 6 pounds heavier than the Michelin cross climate tire.
The jack, tire wrench etc will also be required if they included a spare. And not sure what the Michelin's mpg would be..could be mpg isn't as good with the Michelin's as well. Tires can make big difference in mpg ...I had some Bridgestones before (I think Potenza RE 980) that reduced mpg by like 10% vs stock Michelin's in my wife's car
though I think the runflats are for packaging as well especially for the hybrid trims where they need extra space for batteries and hybrid components?
Old 04-25-22, 11:58 AM
chuuck1e
Pit Crew

Received 96 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by jardlr
Just curious what your plan for a spare is.
When my run-flat tires need replacement, I probably will get non run-flat tires, and buy a sealant/inflator kit like this one.
Amazon Amazon
Old 04-25-22, 12:40 PM
raviola4
Pit Crew

Received 56 Likes on 29 Posts

Only 700 miles on my NX350h. Averaging over 40 so far and many local trips getting over 50 mpg. The run flats are a bit noisy, especially on open road, interstate etc. Will keep till they get worn and hopefully by then there will be some way to temporarily fix a flat on perhaps Michelin. 18” wheels etc.
The NX still rides great overall, but these run flats aren’t the long term answer.
Old 04-25-22, 02:20 PM
frankymenz
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

I’m not sure if some of those sealants are all that healthy for the tpms sensors?
Old 04-25-22, 02:25 PM
nitrolada
Pit Crew

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by frankymenz
I’m not sure if some of those sealants are all that healthy for the tpms sensors?
They say they're tpms safe
but in 20+ years of driving, neither I nor anyone in my family or friends have had a blown out.. I'm sure it can happen but not really concerned...and tpms sensor is like only $40 ..so not big deal if it goes and it's less than price premium of RFT even disregarding the noise of them
if I do get a flat/blow out that prevents me from driving, I'll just call roadside for a tow/flatbed to a tire shop
Old 04-25-22, 02:46 PM
DaveDude
Driver

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by chuuck1e
When my run-flat tires need replacement, I probably will get non run-flat tires, and buy a sealant/inflator kit like this one. https://www.amazon.com/ResQ-71-063-0...0BJ2TBL2&psc=1
Another solution if you don't want to use sealant that can ruin a tire is a DynaPlug repair kit. You would still need to carry an inflator. Also works well on run flat tires.

Amazon Amazon
Old 04-25-22, 02:47 PM
scooky
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

Have been a big fan of Michelin tires for a long time. Will probably go with those.
Will switch to normal tires at some point. Maybe immediately, or maybe after the first set is used up. Primarily a wife decision...
First line of defense for a flat will be roadside assistance. Owning this is probably cheaper than replacing run flats.
Next line of defense will be patch kit and inflator to see if we can limp home. (if roadside is unavailable or too slow in some remote area)
Last line of defense will be fix a flat. Yes it can be a mess to clean up etc. but will likely never get used.

Some people will even throw an actual spare in the back if/when traveling to very remote areas where an unrepairable flat could become dangerous. Remote doesn't have to be offroad. This isn't in our plans but understand for those that do. At this point you are probably also bringing spare gas, food, etc.