NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Official 2nd Gen NX Tint Thread - add your pics here

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-22 | 10:33 AM
LiBeRtAs
Advanced

Default Do you tint your windows after purchase?

Any downside to this, or things to look out for?

My SO did her Lexus and wow, what a difference between hers and my new NX, I want to tint my windows but just wondered what others thought.
Old 05-09-22 | 11:06 AM
bdwpac81
Rookie

I tinted my windshield and front windows and am quite pleased with it. I have a black interior and have found that it cuts down on heat quite a bit.

The following 2 users liked this post by bdwpac81:
DDGNX (05-09-22), LiBeRtAs (05-09-22)
Old 05-09-22 | 11:29 AM
Geopoz
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bdwpac81
I tinted my windshield and front windows and am quite pleased with it. I have a black interior and have found that it cuts down on heat quite a bit.

Nice. What % tint is that.
Old 05-09-22 | 11:42 AM
LiBeRtAs
Advanced

Originally Posted by bdwpac81

Yeah, what %? Like the other person asked.
The following users liked this post:
Dkaplan (10-12-22)
Old 05-09-22 | 12:19 PM
scooky
Pit Crew

I tinted mine on my RC. Fronts and windshield.
It has been great and expect to always do it going forward. Front sides for sure, will need to consider windshield.
My wife will have hers done when ours comes in.
Old 05-09-22 | 01:01 PM
slowdonald
Rookie

Yes, I'll post photos next time I have the car (my wife uses it as a commuter four days per week). Rear windows are a 70 percent (30 percent light thru) and front are 65 percent (35 percent light). Ceramic. Also did the sunroof.
Old 05-09-22 | 01:16 PM
LiBeRtAs
Advanced

Originally Posted by slowdonald
Yes, I'll post photos next time I have the car (my wife uses it as a commuter four days per week). Rear windows are a 70 percent (30 percent light thru) and front are 65 percent (35 percent light). Ceramic. Also did the sunroof.
Tint EXPEL Prime 35%

This is on the receipt for my wife’s car, does this mean 35% tint or light I wonder and I guess different states have different laws.

She did the side windows only. Turns out she did all 4 windows and hatch.

Do I have my car in the wrong light or are the we’re windows the passenger door windows darker than the front windows? Sure looks like it.

Last edited by LiBeRtAs; 05-09-22 at 03:20 PM.
Old 05-09-22 | 02:17 PM
DantheMan2
10th Gear

Tinting looks nice and practical aspects of less light and heat coming into the vehicle are positives. Downside is that other drivers, bicyclists and pedestrians cannot see you and in turn cannot see if you see them. Major hazard when I’m on my bicycle and have the right of way to cross in front of a car fully tinted.
The following 2 users liked this post by DantheMan2:
CdO (08-23-22), FMY421 (11-11-22)
Old 05-09-22 | 02:42 PM
dklanecky1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LiBeRtAs
Tint EXPEL Prime 35%

This is on the receipt for my wife’s car, does this mean 35% tint or light I wonder and I guess different states have different laws.

She did the side windows only.

Do I have my car in the wrong light or are the we’re windows the passenger door windows darker than the front windows? Sure looks like it.
It's almost impossible to get the front row side windows to match the back row side windows, simply because the windshield lets in much more light to the front row side windows than the back row side windows. Now if you tint the windshield, then it's much easier to match the side windows.
Old 05-09-22 | 03:16 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Front and back will never match 100% because it’s a different process (film vs coating). Mine aren’t 100%, but it’s close enough it doesn’t bother me...

Old 05-09-22 | 03:18 PM
LiBeRtAs
Advanced

Originally Posted by DDGNX
Took mine to an experienced shop knowledgeable of the newest Lexus coatings. Make sure they get the match to the rear windows right. See attached Lexus chart.
Called the place I am going to, asked them about this and they said the factory is 20 or 20%, that to match back to front windows they would do 20.

I think that is right based on your chart, not sure. IDK if 20 means that it is 80% shaded or reverse. I assume most MATCH the windows?

Any reason NOT to do the "eyebrow" or windshield? I have HUD and dont know if that would interfere in any way with anything. I know HUD is mainly a projecting camera inside the cabin, and may not be anything on the glass itself unique to that but not sure.
Old 05-09-22 | 03:26 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Originally Posted by LiBeRtAs
Called the place I am going to, asked them about this and they said the factory is 20 or 20%, that to match back to front windows they would do 20.

I think that is right based on your chart, not sure. IDK if 20 means that it is 80% shaded or reverse. I assume most MATCH the windows?

Any reason NOT to do the "eyebrow" or windshield? I have HUD and dont know if that would interfere in any way with anything. I know HUD is mainly a projecting camera inside the cabin, and may not be anything on the glass itself unique to that but not sure.
It’s not the light “transmissibility” alone that causes the mismatch.. Also color, reflectivity, etc, etc. You will NEVER get 100% match. You are way overly obsessive about it.
Old 05-09-22 | 03:32 PM
LiBeRtAs
Advanced

Originally Posted by TimboIS
It’s not the light “transmissibility” alone that causes the mismatch.. Also color, reflectivity, etc, etc. You will NEVER get 100% match. You are way overly obsessive about it.
Were it not for the person here saying look at this chart and make sure your shop has the correct info, I would never have even thought of it. That is why I asked.
Old 05-10-22 | 10:57 AM
bdwpac81
Rookie

Originally Posted by Geopoz
Nice. What % tint is that.
The sides are 20% and the windshield is 30%. For those asking about the HUD, I do notice that it is not quite as sharp as prior to the film application, but I don’t have any regrets about it.
Old 05-10-22 | 11:04 AM
Jggy993
Rookie

Originally Posted by TimboIS
Front and back will never match 100% because it’s a different process (film vs coating). Mine aren’t 100%, but it’s close enough it doesn’t bother me...

rears psx windows are factory coat?

What % are both front side tints?

Quick Reply: Official 2nd Gen NX Tint Thread - add your pics here