NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

If you have a digital key, and your phone is stolen...problem!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-22, 07:28 PM
LiBeRtAs
Advanced

Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts
Default If you have a digital key, and your phone is stolen...problem!

Most of us use the digital key via the app on our phone that we sign in using our PHONE number. If you dont ALSO have a way to sign in to Enform with an email (I had to figure out how to do that, how to change password but there was never a password to begin with.)

Then if phone gets in the hands of someone you dont know and they managed to get past your passcode to get in the phone, they can steal the car.

When they try to use the app it will send a code TO THE PHONE that they now have and you dont have. So they can get in.

If you create an email/password to the Lexus Enform site you can get it on a laptop or whatever, doesn't require the app. Which I have done, but I cant tell how to disable the digital key on the site. Maybe delete the vehicle entirely from the system, not sure.

If anyone knows how to disable the digital key on the website they can let me know.

Last edited by LiBeRtAs; 05-08-22 at 07:53 AM.
Old 05-07-22, 07:40 PM
Randyp1234
Advanced

Received 229 Likes on 166 Posts

That's why you use this:

Old 05-08-22, 06:20 AM
nx350hybri
3rd Gear

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LiBeRtAs
Most of us use the digital key via the app on our phone that we sign in using our PHONE number. If you dont ALSO have a way to sign in to Enform with an email (I had to figure out how to do that, how to change password but there was never a password to begin with.)

Then if phone gets in the hands of someone you dont know and they managed to get past your passcode to get in the phone, they can steal the car.

When they try to use the app it will send a code TO THE PHONE that they now have and you dont have. So they can get in.

If you create an email/password to the Lexus Enform site you can get it on a laptop or whatever, doesn't require the app. Which I have done, but I cant tell how to disable the digital key on the site. Maybe delete the vehicle entirely from the system, not sure.
And if someone gets your physical key, they can steal your car, without having to guess a passcode. If anything, this is more secure.
The following users liked this post:
oregonkat (04-09-23)
Old 05-08-22, 06:57 AM
Lexus22563
Pit Crew

Received 89 Likes on 58 Posts

If you are concerned about your phone getting into the wrong hands, don’t set up your digital key.
Randyp1234 (05-08-22)
Old 05-08-22, 07:51 AM
LiBeRtAs
Advanced

Originally Posted by Lexus22563
If you are concerned about your phone getting into the wrong hands, don’t set up your digital key.
Or, I could come to a community of people who exchange information and ideas (aka a message board) about a specific thing, like a car, point out this small but important flaw in the program, and see what others think about it.

For instance if Lexus added security to the app AFTER you sign into it like many other apps are set up, that your facial ID is required to open it each time, that is one way to resolve it. Other than to disable it on the website.

Last edited by LiBeRtAs; 05-08-22 at 08:11 AM.
SalemNx350 (12-11-22)
Old 05-08-22, 08:59 AM
Randyp1234
Advanced

Originally Posted by LiBeRtAs
Or, I could come to a community of people who exchange information and ideas (aka a message board) about a specific thing, like a car, point out this small but important flaw in the program, and see what others think about it.

For instance if Lexus added security to the app AFTER you sign into it like many other apps are set up, that your facial ID is required to open it each time, that is one way to resolve it. Other than to disable it on the website.
So you walk up to the car, dig your phone out of your pocket or purse (possibly setting down what you have in your hands), unlock the phone with PIN or face scan, open the Lexus app, put in another PIN or face scan, possible pick up what you had to set down to get your hands free, get in the car, possible repeat the phone/app open and unlock steps if the phone re-locked while you got in the car, *then* start the car.

OR - you could walk up to the car with the factory fob in your pocket/purse, open the door, get in, start the car, drive away.

Sometimes just because you *can* do something because the car manufacturer gave you a new toy doesn't mean you *should* do it.

The following 4 users liked this post by Randyp1234:
dklanecky1 (05-08-22), Dorsai (05-08-22), mikemu30 (05-09-22), twitte (05-08-22)
Old 05-08-22, 09:19 AM
Kusala
Pit Crew

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts

Key fob's can be cloned. If it can be engineered it can be reverse-engineered.
Old 05-08-22, 11:36 AM
Randyp1234
Advanced

Originally Posted by Kusala
Key fob's can be cloned. If it can be engineered it can be reverse-engineered.
Exactly. But, in my opinion, a fob in your pocket is far less likely to get stolen or lost versus a phone that many people take in and out of their pockets constantly and leave laying around.
Old 05-08-22, 12:57 PM
kagete
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Doesn't the Northside Lexus deepdive video on youtube give instructions on how to remove digital keys from the car? I'm 99% sure that's an option.
Old 05-08-22, 02:06 PM
LiBeRtAs
Advanced

Originally Posted by kagete
Doesn't the Northside Lexus deepdive video on youtube give instructions on how to remove digital keys from the car? I'm 99% sure that's an option.
it probably does, I found it myself. Do you know where the automatic display button is so I can turn on the view camera permanently for when I’m driving like 2 miles an hour there’s a button it’s called the automatic display button and it has a little A on it

FOUND IT When you have the camera displayed or it’s showing the road that little button shows up but it didn’t at first

Last edited by LiBeRtAs; 05-08-22 at 03:00 PM.
Old 05-09-22, 08:54 AM
StraySheep
Pit Crew

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

There's always the option to remote wipe (delete all data) your phone.
Both Android and iPhone have this feature last time I checked.
Kusala (05-09-22)
Old 05-09-22, 09:39 AM
LiBeRtAs
Advanced

Originally Posted by StraySheep
There's always the option to remote wipe (delete all data) your phone.
Both Android and iPhone have this feature last time I checked.
That is the answer, thanks. I wondered if you could do that, going to go to iCloud now and look at that for future use.

When I sign into iCloud it requires I get a code from my phone...now what. I can "trust" the browser/laptop I am accessing it from if I didnt have my phone but it doesnt always work, it often still requires that code. Going to another message board to ask about this.

You can remote wipe the phone, or lock it. But LOL to do that you have to sign in on iCloud and when you do that using a computer for instance it sends a code to the phone if you have 2 factor auth turned on, but you dont have the phone. Maybe then they send it to the email on file.

Last edited by LiBeRtAs; 05-09-22 at 10:29 AM.
Old 12-11-22, 06:22 AM
NYPHIL
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check out this solution for car thefts

Old 12-11-22, 09:29 AM
GXWes
Pit Crew

Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by nx350hybri
And if someone gets your physical key, they can steal your car, without having to guess a passcode. If anything, this is more secure.
If they steal your key and drive away. They can then press the home button on the Nav. Direct you to your home. Press the home button on the rear-view mirror. And be inside your house stealing all your stuff.

Old 12-11-22, 10:11 AM
Randyp1234
Advanced

Originally Posted by GXWes
If they steal your key and drive away. They can then press the home button on the Nav. Direct you to your home. Press the home button on the rear-view mirror. And be inside your house stealing all your stuff.
Assuming you were silly enough to program your home location labeled "Home" in your NAV.

Quick Reply: If you have a digital key, and your phone is stolen...problem!