NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Digital Key doesn't work - Android

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-22, 01:49 PM
Ockham
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Digital Key doesn't work - Android

I just picked up my new NX 350h today. It's great. I set up digital key on my android, no problem. I then tried to set it up on my wife's phone (same account logged into both phones), couldn't get it to connect. It kept on saying "make sure bluetooth is turned on and connected." Then I googled it and saw there's a problem with digital key and iphones, so I decided not to bother with her phone for now. However, now my android phone doesn't work with digital key.

I've tried:
1. resetting the Lexus infotainment system
2. unpairing my phone and the NX in bluetooth
3. having my phone connected via bluetooth or USB when I try to connect digital key
4. deleting and reinstalling the Lexus app
5. restarting my phone
6. deleting and redoing the digital key
7. Tried restarting infotainment system
8. Deleted everything, reset infotainment system, turned the car off and started from scratch.
9. Tried following the steps here:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...t-and-now.html

I haven't seen a key listed under the "security" section of the infotainment settings. This is the page where you do a factory reset which I've now tried three times.

It just seems to not connect. I delete the digital key, and it says make sure the car is turned on and bluetooth is connected when you do this. Then I try deleting the first time and it says it couldn't connect, and then I click "try again" and it says it's deleted. Then I try setting it up again, and it downloads the key from the cloud, but when I get to the part where it's supposed to connect via bluetooth with the vehicle it can't. I get the the "connecting to your vehicle" step and it just sits there. As soon as I minimize the app or tab over to another app it says "unable to pair your digital key." I am sitting in the vehicle with my ignition on and my key fob with me when I try these things. I tried the chat function on the app for a support agent but she literally just repeated the steps to set up the key which I've done for an hour in various permutations now.

Anyone else having this issue with any ideas?

Last edited by Ockham; 05-14-22 at 02:39 PM.
Old 05-15-22, 08:25 PM
Ockham
Rookie

Originally Posted by Ockham
I just picked up my new NX 350h today. It's great. I set up digital key on my android, no problem. I then tried to set it up on my wife's phone (same account logged into both phones), couldn't get it to connect. It kept on saying "make sure bluetooth is turned on and connected." Then I googled it and saw there's a problem with digital key and iphones, so I decided not to bother with her phone for now. However, now my android phone doesn't work with digital key.

I've tried:
1. resetting the Lexus infotainment system
2. unpairing my phone and the NX in bluetooth
3. having my phone connected via bluetooth or USB when I try to connect digital key
4. deleting and reinstalling the Lexus app
5. restarting my phone
6. deleting and redoing the digital key
7. Tried restarting infotainment system
8. Deleted everything, reset infotainment system, turned the car off and started from scratch.
9. Tried following the steps here:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...t-and-now.html

I haven't seen a key listed under the "security" section of the infotainment settings. This is the page where you do a factory reset which I've now tried three times.

It just seems to not connect. I delete the digital key, and it says make sure the car is turned on and bluetooth is connected when you do this. Then I try deleting the first time and it says it couldn't connect, and then I click "try again" and it says it's deleted. Then I try setting it up again, and it downloads the key from the cloud, but when I get to the part where it's supposed to connect via bluetooth with the vehicle it can't. I get the the "connecting to your vehicle" step and it just sits there. As soon as I minimize the app or tab over to another app it says "unable to pair your digital key." I am sitting in the vehicle with my ignition on and my key fob with me when I try these things. I tried the chat function on the app for a support agent but she literally just repeated the steps to set up the key which I've done for an hour in various permutations now.

Anyone else having this issue with any ideas?

I tried this extensively again with my wife's phone as well. Deleted the car from the Lexus account, deleted user profile on the car, reset the infotainment system to factory restore, restarted the infotainment system with volume button, turned off car, opened and closed door, turned on car, restarted infotainment again, and tried setting this up on my wife's iPhone, then my android, then did the whole reset process again trying with my android first.

Anyways bottom line is neither phone can make it past the connect to the car phase. It downloads the digital key but can't sync it. The connection is not happening or is getting interrupted to sync the Bluetooth signature of the phone with the car.

Any ideas?
Old 05-17-22, 11:23 AM
Ockham
Rookie

Tried again today, and it just worked... Let me set it up. Odd.
Old 05-17-22, 12:06 PM
NguyenAT
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tried again today, and it just worked... Let me set it up. Odd.
I’m stop using my digital key. It drained my phone battery, plus lexus recommended you to always carry a backup key. Whats the point of using digital key and carry the actual key at the same time.
Old 05-17-22, 05:08 PM
Ockham
Rookie

I was just able to set up my wife's iPhone with digital key no problem now. Not sure what changed from Saturday to now
Old 06-01-23, 09:52 AM
Darkseid
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried this extensively again with my wife's phone as well. Deleted the car from the Lexus account, deleted user profile on the car, reset the infotainment system to factory restore, restarted the infotainment system with volume button, turned off car, opened and closed door, turned on car, restarted infotainment again, and tried setting this up on my wife's iPhone, then my android, then did the whole reset process again trying with my android first.

Anyways bottom line is neither phone can make it past the connect to the car phase. It downloads the digital key but can't sync it. The connection is not happening or is getting interrupted to sync the Bluetooth signature of the phone with the car.

Any ideas?
I have it on my rx it's works whenever it wants there is no reasonable explanation. Sometimes you have to have the app open other times the phone can be in your pocket other times It won't work at all. I wrote it off as garbage.
Old 06-01-23, 11:14 AM
GXWes
Pit Crew

Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts

Need to just get a wallet size smart card.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...l#post11494851
Old 06-01-23, 02:14 PM
JasDmw
Advanced

Received 238 Likes on 165 Posts

Digital key works for me - Samsung S20 5G phone. Need to be logged onto the app, though.

I also found if you have an ad blocker on your phone, that slows the app down to a crawl. I use DuckDuckGo. It has a setting allowing individual apps to be disabled. When I disabled DDG on the Lexus app, it works fine.
Old 06-01-23, 07:26 PM
Dkaplan
Intermediate

Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

I’ve had great luck using an iPhone 14 🤞
Old 06-02-23, 07:13 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 573 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by JasDmw
Digital key works for me - Samsung S20 5G phone. Need to be logged onto the app, though.
That is generally my experience as well, works fine on my S10+ as long as the app is signed in. I suppose anyone using it as a daily key should set the app to stay signed in all the time.