NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Two Month with my NX450h+F3

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-22, 12:55 PM
Htrain
Rookie

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Two Month with my NX450h+F3

Two months and 1600 km later, I am more than pleased my my new LexusNX450h+F3. I charge at home (about every second or third night) and have used just over a quarter tank of gas .I have had no major issues other than the charging pad on which others have commented. I now just use a short USB cable and just read about the idea of pushing in the drawer to keep the phone from sliding on the pad. I'll try that as well. After the RX450 F3 I traded in, I'm finding this one very comfortable for driving and enjoying the 'sporty' feel. It seems to be more direct and responsive than the RX.
The learning curve has been steep to say the least. But thanks to this forum and researching the manuals, I am feeling much more comfortable with the technology. The biggest surprise has been the regenerative energy flow to the battery. I experimented with the four driving modes to learn which one seems to work best for my normal routes. I turned on the energy flow monitor screen to try to understand what was happening (without getting distracted). The EV mode is self evident but in both the auto hybrid and HV mode I was more than pleased with the energy flow back to the battery and even seeing the increase in range through regenerative flow. The charging mode does what is claimed (even if not efficient or cost effective. It certainly has given me confidence about my options regarding range. One thing that puzzled me was the battery range after a full charge. Lately it has been in excess of the 61km that is indicated as expectancy (with all the proviso's). My latest overnight charge indicated a range of 71km. My guess is that the algorithm is based on the fuel/battery consumption/efficiency in the history fuel/battery consumption.- ????? I am a conservative driver.
Bottom line is that I and glad I made the switch to this model and more than pleased with what I am experiencing.

On Beacon Ave in Sidney BC
The following 10 users liked this post by Htrain:
Chris442 (05-31-22), FastFord (05-30-22), gb350h (05-30-22), Lexus22563 (05-30-22), lsft (05-31-22), LStoneX (05-31-22), lulu45 (05-30-22), Nx350fspt (06-01-22), twalls (05-30-22), Utopiag (05-31-22) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-30-22, 01:06 PM
Kusala
Pit Crew

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts

Nice review from a fellow BC'er and 450h owner ... don't forget to burn fuel everyone in a while.
Old 05-30-22, 05:34 PM
mbezzo
Pit Crew

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

Can confirm the EV range increasing - we're now at about 2400 miles on the car (3800km) and the EV range is now averaging over 40 miles (64km) on a full charge where as when we got it it was definitely averaging less than the 37 (60km) advertised EV range. And I'm talking actual delivered miles, not estimated EV range. If we're talking estimated EV range, I think at 100% charge it's usually reporting 42 miles (68km) lately and I feel like we're usually getting 2-4 miles less than what it initially reports based on how hard we drive it. So that has been a pleasant surprise for sure! We're still waiting for our 240v charger at home, so we're far from 100% EV at this point, but still easily averaging over 700 miles/tank (1126km/tank) at this point which is pretty amazing (and yes, definitely remembering to fire up that engine ever week or two!). Glad to hear you're enjoying the car - we sure are too!
Old 05-31-22, 07:31 AM
LStoneX
Intermediate

Received 220 Likes on 154 Posts
Default Range and ambient temperature are directly correlated

Nice to hear your reviews @mbezzo and @Htrain .

As the temperatures outside increase and we move from winter into spring and further into summer, expect your EV range to increase. And in the fall as we move back into winter, it'll begin to drop slightly again till it's at its lowest in the winter again.

Cold weather plays havoc with your battery and reduces the EV range.
The following users liked this post:
HeavenSold (06-01-22)
Old 06-01-22, 07:20 AM
Jggy993
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Htrain
Two months and 1600 km later, I am more than pleased my my new LexusNX450h+F3. I charge at home (about every second or third night) and have used just over a quarter tank of gas .I have had no major issues other than the charging pad on which others have commented. I now just use a short USB cable and just read about the idea of pushing in the drawer to keep the phone from sliding on the pad. I'll try that as well. After the RX450 F3 I traded in, I'm finding this one very comfortable for driving and enjoying the 'sporty' feel. It seems to be more direct and responsive than the RX.
The learning curve has been steep to say the least. But thanks to this forum and researching the manuals, I am feeling much more comfortable with the technology. The biggest surprise has been the regenerative energy flow to the battery. I experimented with the four driving modes to learn which one seems to work best for my normal routes. I turned on the energy flow monitor screen to try to understand what was happening (without getting distracted). The EV mode is self evident but in both the auto hybrid and HV mode I was more than pleased with the energy flow back to the battery and even seeing the increase in range through regenerative flow. The charging mode does what is claimed (even if not efficient or cost effective. It certainly has given me confidence about my options regarding range. One thing that puzzled me was the battery range after a full charge. Lately it has been in excess of the 61km that is indicated as expectancy (with all the proviso's). My latest overnight charge indicated a range of 71km. My guess is that the algorithm is based on the fuel/battery consumption/efficiency in the history fuel/battery consumption.- ????? I am a conservative driver.
Bottom line is that I and glad I made the switch to this model and more than pleased with what I am experiencing.

On Beacon Ave in Sidney BC
how often do you prefer to burn the ⛽️? Or recommend to burn the fuel?
Old 06-01-22, 08:08 AM
lsft
Racer

Received 600 Likes on 403 Posts

I think we got my car similar time as you. Great to hear you are enjoying the car.
Old 06-01-22, 08:59 AM
Htrain
Rookie

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

No specific plan and certainly not knowledgeable enough to recommend anything on fuel. At this point whenever I hit the highway I switch to the HV mode and let the gas engine do its thing in hybrid fashion. I think that I might go there more often if I haven’t used a a half tank of gas after three/four months. Not sure if that’s a reasonable approach but not much info that I can find to give me guidelines.
The following users liked this post:
lsft (06-01-22)