NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Gouged the paint on my bumper - how to fix and cost?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-22, 06:02 PM
Ockham
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Gouged the paint on my bumper - how to fix and cost?

I got my NX 350h about 2-3 weeks ago. Took it on a big trip this weekend, and at the car wash was trying to use the scrub brush thing to clean off all the mashed bugs. Unfortunately, I tried to clean a corner, and the edge of the brush which is hard plastic put some gouges in my brand new NX! I knew this sort of thing would happen eventually, but I did it myself and so early too. And it's pretty visible.

I figure I have three options.
1. Have Lexus repaint the area or the whole bumper.
2. Have a third party sand it down and repaint that area with a spray paint. I contacted one on Craigslist and he said it'd be $300.
3. Use the free touchup paint from Lexus and try myself. I know the meld won't be great but the color will match.

Anyone have experience with these options? How good is touching up the paint with the free touchup paint from Lexus? What's the cost of having Lexus repaint the whole bumper and do they have an option to just fix the area for a lower cost?

I'm kicking myself....

Old 05-30-22, 06:08 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,933 Likes on 2,470 Posts

Random person on Craigslist is sketchy I'd go to a real body shop and see what they say. Should be able to blend the fix in no need to paint the entire bumper. Touch up paint will stand out like a sore thumb.
The following 2 users liked this post by LeX2K:
dklanecky1 (05-31-22), Randyp1234 (05-30-22)
Old 05-30-22, 06:17 PM
nitrolada
Pit Crew

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Are you sure it went down past paint? Doesn't look like it to me. You try buffing it yet? Even elbow grease with say bug/tar remover and microfiber cloth should get a lot of that out..or at least worth trying first
Old 05-30-22, 06:20 PM
Ockham
Rookie

Originally Posted by nitrolada
Are you sure it went down past paint? Doesn't look like it to me. You try buffing it yet? Even elbow grease with say bug/tar remover and microfiber cloth should get a lot of that out..or at least worth trying first
It definitely went past the paint. I can feel the divot and the plastic.
Old 05-30-22, 06:21 PM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

Do not use touch up paint on that, way too big. I doubt Lexus dealers actually do paint services, but maybe in your area they do. Ask the dealer who does their paint work.
I used to help a buddy that did work for many dealerships (Toyota/Lexus/others) and it was very inexpensive. I would guess that this is about $300-400 for a good job.
Old 05-30-22, 06:25 PM
Ockham
Rookie

This Lexus dealer has a full service center attached to it so they may do it. I'll find out tomorrow.
Old 05-30-22, 06:27 PM
FastFord
Racer

Ooh that's a big Lexus dealership! Then they will probably help you out!! Good luck.
Old 05-31-22, 04:45 AM
Ockham
Rookie

Originally Posted by FastFord
Ooh that's a big Lexus dealership! Then they will probably help you out!! Good luck.
Called the dealer, apparently they do outsource their body work. The shop they outsource to has atrocious reviews and they flatbed the car back and forth so it seems to me I should just go straight to a bodyshop myself and cut out the middleman.

I did call one bodyshop this morning, and they said they recommend doing the whole bumper in these situations and it's $1000, and that they do offer a more limited paint and blend but in their experience the blend wears off and they don't warranty it.
Old 05-31-22, 06:17 AM
FastFord
Racer

That's what I thought, removing the bumper cover. I know we removed them as it's ultimately easier and produces better results.

This way they can do a full paint, maybe, fix any gouges and do a wet sand without touching other parts of the car.

I would look for a place that warranties the paint for as long as you own the car. When I had my RX a huge cardboard box with giant staples flew out of a guys truck. Scratched the hood and quarter panel. The body shop that Lexus/Toyota recommended did an amazing job, had excellent reviews and guaranteed the work for as long as I owned the car....It was not cheap, but insurance paid for it.

Bumpers require expert professional care as they flex a little bit.

She's new car, get it fixed correctly and you will be much more happy in the long run.

Best of luck!

Last edited by FastFord; 05-31-22 at 06:20 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-31-22, 06:26 AM
BMGS
Racer

Received 549 Likes on 338 Posts

If it were me, I'd try touchup first, what's the worst that could happen if you have already planned out a trip to a body shop? I realize a couple decades of experience makes a world of difference here but could be a fun opportunity to learn, if you see it that way.

I mix the color coat with the clear coat, about 75/25 and then apply with a microdabber. Let the first coat dry then wet sand the area with 3000 grit then see what it looks like. Apply another coat if needed then let dry and sand again. You may have to go down to 2500 grit to get it all level. Then sand again with 3000 then 5000, then compound and polish, preferably on 3" rotary pads. It should look great after that. If not, then proceed with your body shop plan and you have spent just a bit of time and a minimal amount of money but gained experience for the future.

Either do it yourself or have it repaired at a certified in-house collision center. Its worth it, even if its some distance away that's reasonable. There are two dealers near me, one outsources (no thank you) and the other has an in-house center that did a fantastic job on my bumper's paint.

Last edited by BMGS; 05-31-22 at 06:33 AM.
The following users liked this post:
RX469 (05-31-22)
Old 05-31-22, 06:43 AM
Ockham
Rookie

I went to two body shops and called a few. Most said just redo the entire bumper for $1000. A few said they could do either a patch or the whole bumper. The second place I took it to in person the owner came out said he could do either technique and I said what would you do. He said he'd just patch the area if it were him. He said we won't notice the difference and it won't be the last damage the bumper gets. They have great reviews and a lot of them. I trust people more that seem to undersell instead of upsell so I went ahead with it. We will see as the car ages if u can tell the difference. He says we won't. If we do and it gets more damage over the years we will just redo the whole bumper in a few years.

$400 to patch it. $1000 to do the whole thing. The problem with the whole thing is reregistering the sensors and calibrating the radar. Ironically the body shop the Lexus dealership uses has terrible reviews.
Old 05-31-22, 06:55 AM
Kusala
Pit Crew

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts

That can't be blended, well it can but is it worth doing? Probably not. Look around you will find a reliable body shop wherever you are. $1000 seems reasonable because to do a satisfactory job (that you'll be happy with) requires taking the bumper off and repainting it in its entirety.

As for the recalibration of the radar...any body shop worth their weight should be able to do that.
Old 05-31-22, 06:57 AM
Ockham
Rookie

Originally Posted by Kusala
That can't be blended, well it can but is it worth doing? Probably not. Look around you will find a reliable body shop wherever you are. $1000 seems reasonable because to do a satisfactory job (that you'll be happy with) requires taking the bumper off and repainting it in its entirety.

As for the recalibration of the radar...any body shop worth their weight should be able to do that.
Well he said it can and we won't see any difference and they have 200 really good reviews. So we will see.
Old 05-31-22, 06:58 AM
FastFord
Racer

That's excellent!!!

That's what my old boss would have done as well. They do get messed up over the years. Blending will be 100% better, and cheaper. Good point on all the sensors...no point potentially messing them up as well.

You might see a very small difference, but don't get out the magnifying glass to see it. The same thing could happen if the entire bumper cover was removed.

Sounds like a great place you went with....Happy for you!

Old 05-31-22, 07:21 AM
Ockham
Rookie

Originally Posted by FastFord
That's excellent!!!

That's what my old boss would have done as well. They do get messed up over the years. Blending will be 100% better, and cheaper. Good point on all the sensors...no point potentially messing them up as well.

You might see a very small difference, but don't get out the magnifying glass to see it. The same thing could happen if the entire bumper cover was removed.

Sounds like a great place you went with....Happy for you!
They have a lifetime warranty. If the paint fades they redo it. If it chips they redo it.

Quick Reply: Gouged the paint on my bumper - how to fix and cost?