NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Pretty good, eh? NX450h. 1,394 miles of 73.1 mpg!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-22, 10:39 AM
Peterun
Pit Crew

Received 87 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Pretty good, eh? NX450h. 1,394 miles of 73.1 mpg!

Great car, finally! Love my NX.
The following 6 users liked this post by Peterun:
1Louder (06-15-22), DaveGS4 (06-15-22), dna201 (07-19-22), Kusala (06-06-22), lulu45 (06-02-22), Utopiag (07-25-22) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-14-22, 03:13 AM
Lrlaz
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Peterun
Looks awesome. I just got mine Saturday. Question, when fully charged, what's your total EV miles to empty? I'm asking because mine says 34 miles with AC on. I thought it was 37.

Thanks,

Laz
Old 06-14-22, 03:28 AM
nx450plus
Pit Crew

Received 101 Likes on 63 Posts

There is some variability in the range apparently. I have seen high to mid 30s often as expected.
Old 06-14-22, 03:44 AM
Pharbor
Pit Crew

Received 58 Likes on 31 Posts

Now that it’s warm I am getting 43.
Old 06-14-22, 04:08 AM
Lrlaz
Rookie

I'm in KC and temps are in the 90s. It's only got a 170 miles. Heard that it will adjust with your driving style. That being said, I have noticed that I'm getting more miles than the computer estimations,

Laz
Old 06-14-22, 09:51 AM
mbezzo
Pit Crew

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

Laz,
It takes some time for the car to "figure out" the range and full battery capacity. Don't worry - it'll get there after you drive it for awhile. Also, worth noting that the range is VERY much an estimate - totally depends on temperature, how hard/fast you're driving, hilliness (is that a word!?) etc. We're approaching 3000 miles on our 450h+ ambient temps are in the 60's and 70's now and we're seeing up to 43 miles on a full charge (we usually actually get about 40...). When we took delivery, we were in your boat - seeing low 30's. All this to say - nothing to worry about!
The following 2 users liked this post by mbezzo:
Lrlaz (06-15-22), Utopiag (07-25-22)
Old 06-14-22, 12:28 PM
wattyb2
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Pete, how did you manage to get 73.1 mpg?!

My understanding is that screen is for JUST the HV mode of the vehicle's operation, for which it is rated to get 36 mpg. I'm halfway through my first "test" tank and getting about 40 mpg based on some fairly conservative driving habits.

Did you not reset the trip between tanks? If we take an admittedly flawed estimate based on your projected HV range from the photo, you've used 25% of your tank and have 333 miles of range left. A conservative calculation gives you 111 miles traveled in that quarter tank. Diving 444 (total on that tank) by 14 (tank size) gives us 31.7 mpg. That seems low, so we'd need the "real" tank level and actual trip miles traveled since last fill up to do the correct math, but I don't see any way for it to be 73.1 mpg.

Then again, maybe I'm misunderstanding what that screen means.....but should that be the case, my 450h+ is doing terribly so far by only getting 40 mpg and the rating Lexus used with the EPA must be off by almost 100%? Maybe you've modified it to include the electric travel distance as well that I'm not seeing how to do?

-B
Old 06-14-22, 01:48 PM
mbezzo
Pit Crew

Hey wattyb! - yours will go up! It's the (total) combined MPG. When we picked up ours, it was awful - like in the 20's and I was VERY confused for the whole (LONG...) drive home as it VERY slowly increased. By the time we arrived in WA we were up to around 38ish - and now we hover in the 70's and 80's depending on how often we get it charged. (our Level 2 EVSE FINALLY arrived this week!!!)
Old 06-14-22, 01:56 PM
wattyb2
Driver

Originally Posted by mbezzo
Hey wattyb! - yours will go up! It's the (total) combined MPG. When we picked up ours, it was awful - like in the 20's and I was VERY confused for the whole (LONG...) drive home as it VERY slowly increased. By the time we arrived in WA we were up to around 38ish - and now we hover in the 70's and 80's depending on how often we get it charged. (our Level 2 EVSE FINALLY arrived this week!!!)
Interesting. I would have thought it to be ONLY the HV (gas) mpg as there is the alternative screen for miles per kWh when you're driving in electric mode. Guess I would have expected to have to do the manual math when filing up to determine exactly how many "equivalent miles" per gallon I got through the use of all the charged EV miles as well.

You're saying that you reset the trip at each fill up and that number also resets to zero before going back up into the 70+ range as you start to drive both EV and HV miles?

Edit: Ultimately, I'd like to be able to verify the efficiency of the HV only powertrain as being what was claimed. I would have guessed the way to do that would be to look at that screen, while the total combined mpg would be found by doing the manual division at a full up. If that screen does indeed display the combined total, then there is not a way I see (haven't played too much with the menus in the screen) to easily tell only the HV mileage?

Edit2: And nice on the level 2 install. Do you have a recommendation for an electrician you worked with? Contacted my "regular guy," but it's been a week and he hasn't responded.... How long are you seeing it takes to fully charge with the one you ordered?

Last edited by wattyb2; 06-14-22 at 02:00 PM.
Old 06-14-22, 02:25 PM
mbezzo
Pit Crew

Yep, we reset the trip odometer each fill up. That number pictured above does not reset when you reset either trip odometer - it's wholly separate. One thing you may have not yet noticed (I definitely didn't notice it for awhile...) wait a bit after you turn off the car before you get out. On the dash screen in front of you (where the speedometer is) you'll get a nice trip summary that will give you all the MPG/EV info for the last trip. May give you what you're looking for. Alternatively, cycle through the dash screens (using the right side steering wheel controls - click the bottom button once to switch the set of options, then use the right or left arrows to cycle through options til you get to the other MPG screen - can't think of it off hand but it's different than the "Total Average Fuel Economy". You can also go into the infotainment system and there's an option to see trip data there - might be more there too (again from memory can't recall exactly). Point is - there's LOTS of data and it's in various spots!

No electrician necessary for us luckily - we have a super old house with super old wiring and it'd require THOUSANDS to get a new panel etc - just not worth it. So, got one of these (https://www.getneocharge.com) to "split" our dryer outlet to make things easy. I don't have it all hooked up yet (it just came yesterday...) but expecting 2.5-3 hours for a full charge down from the roughly 12 hours it takes now!
The following users liked this post:
melissa703 (06-14-22)
Old 06-14-22, 02:45 PM
wattyb2
Driver

Gotcha, guess I'll have to go play with those screens some more then and figure it out.

And fair enough on the electrician aspect. We're in a newer build with room next to the panel to install the charger, so hoping that it wouldn't be too expensive.
Old 06-14-22, 03:02 PM
mbezzo
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by wattyb2
We're in a newer build with room next to the panel to install the charger, so hoping that it wouldn't be too expensive.

I envy you...

Old 06-14-22, 08:41 PM
Peterun
Pit Crew

Received 87 Likes on 39 Posts

Hi….Sorry for the delayed response. I make it a point to not reset the mpg calculator. I also make it a point to recharge my NX450h daily…occasionally more often. I’m on a Time of Use plan and I avoid “peak.” That said, if there’s a downslope for several miles, I almost always press the charge button for three seconds. I live in So Ca….consistent warm weather and it’s rare that I’m without AC being on. I have never opened my sunroof. I notice that the overall mpg drops to 70 or 69mpg at the end of my weekly mountain trip to San Diego from the Desert. The mpg returns to the mid 70s after I’m at my destination, driving city type streets and I recharge the NX in my garage. I have garages in both locations. A few of you asked how I charge my NX while driving. I push the upper button for three seconds. That locks in self charging until 80% of capacity is reached. Again, I only recharge during extended downhill jaunts. Hope this helps!

Last edited by Peterun; 06-14-22 at 09:09 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Peterun:
javahigh (06-29-22), Kusala (06-15-22)
Old 06-15-22, 02:32 AM
Lrlaz
Rookie

Originally Posted by mbezzo
Laz,
It takes some time for the car to "figure out" the range and full battery capacity. Don't worry - it'll get there after you drive it for awhile. Also, worth noting that the range is VERY much an estimate - totally depends on temperature, how hard/fast you're driving, hilliness (is that a word!?) etc. We're approaching 3000 miles on our 450h+ ambient temps are in the 60's and 70's now and we're seeing up to 43 miles on a full charge (we usually actually get about 40...). When we took delivery, we were in your boat - seeing low 30's. All this to say - nothing to worry about!
Thanks! It makes sense.

Laz
Old 06-15-22, 10:08 AM
Kusala
Pit Crew

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

Thanks for this tip. I live atop a mountain and have several KM's of downhill driving before I hit the valley. I'm not loosing much range, but will definitely try your technique when I'm driving on the mountain passes.

Hi….Sorry for the delayed response. I make it a point to not reset the mpg calculator. I also make it a point to recharge my NX450h daily…occasionally more often. I’m on a Time of Use plan and I avoid “peak.” That said, if there’s a downslope for several miles, I almost always press the charge button for three seconds. I live in So Ca….consistent warm weather and it’s rare that I’m without AC being on. I have never opened my sunroof. I notice that the overall mpg drops to 70 or 69mpg at the end of my weekly mountain trip to San Diego from the Desert. The mpg returns to the mid 70s after I’m at my destination, driving city type streets and I recharge the NX in my garage. I have garages in both locations. A few of you asked how I charge my NX while driving. I push the upper button for three seconds. That locks in self charging until 80% of capacity is reached. Again, I only recharge during extended downhill jaunts. Hope this helps!

Quick Reply: Pretty good, eh? NX450h. 1,394 miles of 73.1 mpg!