NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Was at drive-through car wash, couldn’t get it into neutral

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-22, 03:16 PM
LiBeRtAs
Advanced

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Was at drive-through car wash, couldn’t get it into neutral

In time before it started to go forward, what I can’t remember is the drive-through car wash could you have it in park with the engine off as in does the conveyor move the car whether the wheels are turning or not?

In trying to get it to go into neutral I ended up putting it into Drive and going forward a couple of feet without any problems, but what a mess.

Sitting in here now practicing getting it into neutral from drive. Leaving the car on and in neutral all of the warnings coming from the computer about hitting things makes me wonder if the car needs to be completely turned off to avoid it reacting to the machinery, which would mean the wheels are locked and the conveyor belt would have to move the car without the wheels being able to turn which always thought they had to roll with the conveyor.

I know it sounds like a stupid question or discussion but it all comes down to whether or not you can leave the car in park which is what it will be if you turn the power off.

Found this

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...ng-newer-cars/

We did not get a response from Carwash.com about an updated list of problem vehicles, but the larger problem these days is that some modern advanced driver-assistance systems (ADAS) will prevent a car from moving forward because it thinks it might hit an object, and the automatic rain-sensing wipers may engage when you least want them to.
Most of them require the car to be in neutral because the conveyor is not a conveyor, it is pushing the car so to speak and the wheels have to turn, right? If so then you cant turn the power off to the system because it defaults to PARK when you do that, right? And we have auto parking brakes also, but we can turn that off.

I managed to not have the car stop on me as a result of the cameras and collision avoidance issues or have the wipers come on, I made sure the wipers were off. But I am still confused about:

A. does the car have to be in NEUTRAL, period?

B. how do you turn the power off and have it in NEUTRAL?

Last edited by LiBeRtAs; 06-06-22 at 03:33 PM.
Old 06-06-22, 03:32 PM
nitrolada
Pit Crew

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by LiBeRtAs
In time before it started to go forward, what I can’t remember is the drive-through car wash could you have it in park with the engine off as in does the conveyor move the car whether the wheels are turning or not?

In trying to get it to go into neutral I ended up putting it into Drive and going forward a couple of feet without any problems, but what a mess.

Sitting in here now practicing getting it into neutral from drive. Leaving the car on and in neutral all of the warnings coming from the computer about hitting things makes me wonder if the car needs to be completely turned off to avoid it reacting to the machinery, which would mean the wheels are locked and the conveyor belt would have to move the car without the wheels being able to turn which always thought they had to roll with the conveyor.

I know it sounds like a stupid question or discussion but it all comes down to whether or not you can leave the car in park which is what it will be if you turn the power off.

Found this

Did you try just turn off the collision mitigation systems before going into the car wash?
Old 06-06-22, 04:03 PM
LiBeRtAs
Advanced

Originally Posted by nitrolada
Did you try just turn off the collision mitigation systems before going into the car wash?
No, I did not think of that, but that was not the problem the collision mitigation system did not cause me any problems, it did give me several warnings but nothing went wrong… but it might next time or one time. I will do that next time. The problem was getting it into neutral from drive which I have now learned what the trick is but it took too long, the car moved a couple feet forward when it shouldn’t have or when I didnt want it to. It all happened very fast and only because I couldn't instantly put it in neutral. I will be able to now.

So if the car has to be neutral, then you get it into neutral turn off the collision mitigation leaving the car turned on I guess.

And you can’t turn the power off unless you remember to also turn off the automatic parking brake setting.

Last edited by LiBeRtAs; 06-06-22 at 04:19 PM.
Old 06-06-22, 09:42 PM
nitrolada
Pit Crew

No, I did not think of that, but that was not the problem the collision mitigation system did not cause me any problems, it did give me several warnings but nothing went wrong… but it might next time or one time. I will do that next time. The problem was getting it into neutral from drive which I have now learned what the trick is but it took too long, the car moved a couple feet forward when it shouldn’t have or when I didnt want it to. It all happened very fast and only because I couldn't instantly put it in neutral. I will be able to now.

So if the car has to be neutral, then you get it into neutral turn off the collision mitigation leaving the car turned on I guess.

And you can’t turn the power off unless you remember to also turn off the automatic parking brake setting.
What's the trick? I thought you just push shifter left ?
Old 06-06-22, 10:14 PM
chuyrobles
Instructor

Received 248 Likes on 197 Posts

A. Yes, the car has to be in neutral because the conveyer pulls the car in before the rear wheels enter the conveyer, and the operator will not always know if the car is rear wheel drive or all-wheel drive. If one of those cars is placed in park, the rear wheels will be locked by the transmission and damage may ensue to the conveyer and/or the transmission.

B. You should not turn off the car in a drive-thru car wash.
Old 06-07-22, 06:03 AM
LiBeRtAs
Advanced

Originally Posted by chuyrobles
A. Yes, the car has to be in neutral because the conveyer pulls the car in before the rear wheels enter the conveyer, and the operator will not always know if the car is rear wheel drive or all-wheel drive. If one of those cars is placed in park, the rear wheels will be locked by the transmission and damage may ensue to the conveyer and/or the transmission.

B. You should not turn off the car in a drive-thru car wash.
Ok, so turn off collision mitigation, put in neutral (now that I know how) and the automatic parking break won’t come in to play because it’s not being put into park. Thanks

Why not turn off?
Old 06-07-22, 08:09 AM
Kusala
Pit Crew

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts

Why bring your car through one of those car washes? They're awful.

The following users liked this post:
Randyp1234 (06-07-22)
Old 06-07-22, 08:10 AM
OPorz
Driver

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

As you found out, you definitely don’t want to try to find neutral for the first time as you enter a car wash. I found it the first time, but the 2nd time I had a bad experience. It’s actually pretty easy, just not intuitive. Worth practicing ahead of time. From Drive or Reverse, simply push the stick to the left and hold for a second. A quick push to the left doesn’t always work. To get back to Drive or Reverse use the usual technique: push stick to the left, then up or down.

I don’t mind the collision avoidance beeping but is there a quick way to turn that off/on?

I have the parking assist video option come on when driving at low speeds to assist with parking. This feature comes on automatically with the car in neutral and going through the car wash. It’s actually pretty cool, and definitely a view of a car wash that I’ve never seen before!
Old 06-07-22, 08:35 AM
nitrolada
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by OPorz
As you found out, you definitely don’t want to try to find neutral for the first time as you enter a car wash. I found it the first time, but the 2nd time I had a bad experience. It’s actually pretty easy, just not intuitive. Worth practicing ahead of time. From Drive or Reverse, simply push the stick to the left and hold for a second. A quick push to the left doesn’t always work. To get back to Drive or Reverse use the usual technique: push stick to the left, then up or down.

I don’t mind the collision avoidance beeping but is there a quick way to turn that off/on?

I have the parking assist video option come on when driving at low speeds to assist with parking. This feature comes on automatically with the car in neutral and going through the car wash. It’s actually pretty cool, and definitely a view of a car wash that I’ve never seen before!
there's a shortcut on the infotainment at the bottom for quick shortcut to the drivers assist (it's bottom with the dots, push and it'll pull up shortcuts and you can swipe left to access screen with all the different driver's assistance )
Old 06-07-22, 09:28 AM
LiBeRtAs
Advanced

Originally Posted by OPorz

Thank YOU I didn’t think I was crazy, glad not the only one!

As the person also responding says, you can pull up the screens showing what systems are on and off with the three dots above the volume control, I am not in the car at the moment but I know there is one that will turn off the collision avoidance system I think.

settings
driving assist
collision mitigation
Pre-collision system is on, turn off

I like giving answers when I can because I ask a lot of questions and I like getting answers from others, ask me anything because I am now pretty much up on this car!

So many favorite things about this car, one of them is being able to look at the screen and see how close I am to the curb when I’m pulling into a parking lot parking space because in the past I was always not pulling up far enough, one thing the car doesn’t do I assume because the cameras are too high is pick up on most curbs on streets as you are parallel parking while the camera will show you how close you’re getting the warning beep doesn’t come up very often I assume because of the angle of the camera and the curb.

I also love being able to leave the accessories on after turning the power off and then having the opening of the door trigger them off.

Just went to my doctor‘s office, and the guard and someone else were standing in the parking lot talking and I used advanced parked and put my hands in the air so these guys could see that I wasn’t parking the car which was fun and when I got out they got a laugh about it!

Last edited by LiBeRtAs; 06-07-22 at 10:42 AM.
Old 06-07-22, 10:49 AM
chuyrobles
Instructor

Received 248 Likes on 197 Posts

…Why not turn off?
For me, it’s a safety thing. You want to be able to get out of there if you can and have to. You can also get stuck there should your battery dies. You may forget to roll up a window all the way. Etc…
Old 06-09-22, 11:41 AM
JPB23
Driver

Received 42 Likes on 18 Posts

Found this

Most of them require the car to be in neutral because the conveyor is not a conveyor, it is pushing the car so to speak and the wheels have to turn, right? If so then you cant turn the power off to the system because it defaults to PARK when you do that, right? And we have auto parking brakes also, but we can turn that off.

I managed to not have the car stop on me as a result of the cameras and collision avoidance issues or have the wipers come on, I made sure the wipers were off. But I am still confused about:

A. does the car have to be in NEUTRAL, period?

B. how do you turn the power off and have it in NEUTRAL?

I had this problem too, unitl I realized to get the car in Neutral, you have to hold the lever directly to the left for about 2-3 seconds.
Old 06-09-22, 11:30 PM
Kimberly88
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

I am so glad I’m not the only one that did this specifically at the car wash. I looked like a complete idiot for what felt like a life time but in reality probably two minutes. I almost got rear ended at the car wash exit. I accidentally got it in neutral when I entered then couldn’t figure out how to put it in drive.

I also used brake hold at the pharmacy and couldn’t get it to drive. Apparently if you take off your seat belt while it’s in brake hold it will not drive until you put the seat belt back on. I had to take it off to reach the pharmacy drive thru drawer. Once again I looked like an idiot. This happen in my UX several years ago. I went from a non techy Mazda 3 to a UX then the NX.
Old 06-10-22, 12:22 AM
LiBeRtAs
Advanced

Originally Posted by Kimberly88
I am so glad I’m not the only one that did this specifically at the car wash. I looked like a complete idiot for what felt like a life time but in reality probably two minutes. I almost got rear ended at the car wash exit. I accidentally got it in neutral when I entered then couldn’t figure out how to put it in drive.

I also used brake hold at the pharmacy and couldn’t get it to drive. Apparently if you take off your seat belt while it’s in brake hold it will not drive until you put the seat belt back on. I had to take it off to reach the pharmacy drive thru drawer. Once again I looked like an idiot. This happen in my UX several years ago. I went from a non techy Mazda 3 to a UX then the NX.
Don’t feel bad, it always takes two or three tries to get it into gear from neutral or so park.