NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Fuel Tank readings and other things

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-22 | 05:44 PM
FSportTeam
10th Gear

Smile Fuel Tank readings and other things

Hi everyone, I just hit my 2000 mile mark in my NX 350 F Sport petrol version.

I want to share with everyone my experience with this model 2T(made in Canada).

I've notice something strange, when I first picked up the car from the dealer the "distance to empty" showed 325 miles, however throughout my time of going to the pump and back, this number has been slowly decreasing to a mere 280, how is this possible? I've seen 290 in the past and about three weeks ago 300 miles to empty, now bare in mind, each time I fuel the car I make sure the pump clicks, I am noticing misleading readings in the fuel gage. To me it feels like it could be another Rav4 issue? the NX tank is 14.1 gallons, however it only takes 10 and I only had 20 or so miles to empty, I would think it will take at least 13.5?

Yes, the infotainment can be a pain in the *** especially if you have a VNP app on your phone, also if you do not have your wifi enabled you will have connectivity issues. I did notice though, Apple Carplay disconnects, today for example my entire system shut down for a good 3 seconds then it came back, very odd, it happens intermittently I will keep observing this behavior.

The Lexus app is garbage, I know it just had an update but I wish it had more information such as TIRE PRESSURE, cabin temperature, a "wash me" feature would be cool, turn the lights on with your app, or the radio, there's so much you could do.

I do have vibrating driver side mirror issue but is not as bad as others.

The AC blows super cold, I love this! but I noticed in the climate options the AC can be automatically enabled without having to touch the AC button, so each time I turn the air on is actually AC by default not just the fan blowing.

I traded a hybrid for this awesome car because I was unhappy with the humming engine noise and that ugly CVT, I wanted the 450H+ but there's a waiting list of 2 years by now in my area.

I love the car, I wouldn't change it(unless is a 450H+ but a few things have disappoint me, I just hope they will be resolved soon as I will most likely schedule a service appt soon.
The following users liked this post:
lilalekat (06-16-22)
Old 06-11-22 | 06:13 PM
mbezzo
Pit Crew

We have a 450h+ (yep, we feel very lucky!!) and have DEFINITELY noticed the fuel guage is WAY off. For us, when all the segments of the gauge are gone - ie the tank is "empty" there's still (as you've indicated) over 4 gallons left. So, we just kinda know we get about 30MPG on average and thus have about... 120 miles left after the gauge is yelling at us to get gas. Kind of PITA, hope a software update fixes it, I mean it's great to be a bit on the conservative but this is ridiculous!

Old 06-11-22 | 08:41 PM
lsft
Racer

The distance to empty is an approximate estimate based on your driving habits and the fuel economy. It will definitely get more accurate over time as the fuel consumption numbers get closer to your patterns.

The Lexus App does show tire pressure of your vehicle. I think as owners we should provide feature request and the more people asking, their product owners may consider adding it.
Old 06-12-22 | 08:19 AM
FSportTeam
10th Gear

Originally Posted by lsft
The distance to empty is an approximate estimate based on your driving habits and the fuel economy. It will definitely get more accurate over time as the fuel consumption numbers get closer to your patterns.

The Lexus App does show tire pressure of your vehicle. I think as owners we should provide feature request and the more people asking, their product owners may consider adding it.
Sure driving habits etc, but that doesn't mean the fuel gauge keeps giving me false readings, if anything I feel the tank sensor has some sort of issue? my driving habits have been consistent, and I get what you're saying, however I think once you fill up a car the total driving rage should be stated as the exact number of miles the car can go to, I used to own a toyota hybrid and the readings never fail, each time I fuel up the car it shows the amount of distance to empty, so either Lexus has some issue to deal with in their software or there's another underlying issue with the tank sensor.

Also, my comment about the tire pressure was sarcastic as it never shows for me the tire pressure, I always get an "error gathering data" message.
Old 06-12-22 | 08:24 AM
FSportTeam
10th Gear

Originally Posted by mbezzo
We have a 450h+ (yep, we feel very lucky!!) and have DEFINITELY noticed the fuel guage is WAY off. For us, when all the segments of the gauge are gone - ie the tank is "empty" there's still (as you've indicated) over 4 gallons left. So, we just kinda know we get about 30MPG on average and thus have about... 120 miles left after the gauge is yelling at us to get gas. Kind of PITA, hope a software update fixes it, I mean it's great to be a bit on the conservative but this is ridiculous!
I am jealous you were able to get your hands on a 450h+ my dealership was only allocated 1 for the entire year.

You see that does not make sense to me, my Rav4 Hybrid which is a newer model(2022), gets about 40MPG on average and you're telling me your 450h+ gets 30mpg on average that sounds extremely low for a car that uses the same platform as the Prime, sure some numbers are a bit off when comparing the two but that is disappointing and again the tank issue! I am glad I am not the only once who noticed this odd behavior.
Old 06-12-22 | 03:19 PM
NguyenAT
Rookie

i always refuel when my 350h has 50 or less miles to empty. It only takes around 10.8 to 11 gallons.

QUOTE=FSportTeam;11306547]Hi everyone, I just hit my 2000 mile mark in my NX 350 F Sport petrol version.

I want to share with everyone my experience with this model 2T(made in Canada).

I've notice something strange, when I first picked up the car from the dealer the "distance to empty" showed 325 miles, however throughout my time of going to the pump and back, this number has been slowly decreasing to a mere 280, how is this possible? I've seen 290 in the past and about three weeks ago 300 miles to empty, now bare in mind, each time I fuel the car I make sure the pump clicks, I am noticing misleading readings in the fuel gage. To me it feels like it could be another Rav4 issue? the NX tank is 14.1 gallons, however it only takes 10 and I only had 20 or so miles to empty, I would think it will take at least 13.5?

Yes, the infotainment can be a pain in the *** especially if you have a VNP app on your phone, also if you do not have your wifi enabled you will have connectivity issues. I did notice though, Apple Carplay disconnects, today for example my entire system shut down for a good 3 seconds then it came back, very odd, it happens intermittently I will keep observing this behavior.

The Lexus app is garbage, I know it just had an update but I wish it had more information such as TIRE PRESSURE, cabin temperature, a "wash me" feature would be cool, turn the lights on with your app, or the radio, there's so much you could do.

I do have vibrating driver side mirror issue but is not as bad as others.

The AC blows super cold, I love this! but I noticed in the climate options the AC can be automatically enabled without having to touch the AC button, so each time I turn the air on is actually AC by default not just the fan blowing.

I traded a hybrid for this awesome car because I was unhappy with the humming engine noise and that ugly CVT, I wanted the 450H+ but there's a waiting list of 2 years by now in my area.

I love the car, I wouldn't change it(unless is a 450H+ but a few things have disappoint me, I just hope they will be resolved soon as I will most likely schedule a service appt soon.[/QUOTE]
Old 06-12-22 | 08:18 PM
wattyb2
Driver

Originally Posted by mbezzo
Interesting data point for the mileage. On our first three tanks (drive back with the vehicle), got 37, 33, and 35 with the second involving mountain passes (so the hit wasn't as surprising). Long highway drives obviously aren't where this car excels, though still much better than our previous ICE vehicle of a similar size and class.

Since then, haven't filled up, but the car thinks this current tank is getting 38.4 for our 450h+. Not sure how much I trust it though given my past vehicle was always optimistic to the tune of about 1.75 mpg.

Will be interested to see if our gauge is as off as yours as far as the measurement of remaining fuel goes.
Old 06-13-22 | 09:36 PM
FSportTeam
10th Gear

I want to write an update and clarify something, first off, I am a total idiot, I had a long day yesterday and I did not think this through! how did I not turn the **** all the way to the left to ECO mode!? you know, I was under the impression "normal" was eco because on the headup display I saw "eco" however, today I turned the **** all the way to the left and boom, the needle was BLUE instead of red! and I was getting 26MPG! it's a bit confusing, so the NX has 5 drive modes, Eco, normal(custom), sport and sport+ still the gauge feels like it getting me false range numbers
Old 06-14-22 | 09:55 AM
mbezzo
Pit Crew

Oh yeah, the 30MPG number is awful - we just use that to calculate because we'll NEVER get worse than that no matter how hard we drive it - so it's a very safe number to use. We're much closer to 40 in real life. I suppose we could use 35 - but I dunno, 30's easier to calculate? lol. More just illustrating the point I suppose! Don't use that number as an indication of the cars actual MPG!

Originally Posted by FSportTeam
I am jealous you were able to get your hands on a 450h+ my dealership was only allocated 1 for the entire year.

You see that does not make sense to me, my Rav4 Hybrid which is a newer model(2022), gets about 40MPG on average and you're telling me your 450h+ gets 30mpg on average that sounds extremely low for a car that uses the same platform as the Prime, sure some numbers are a bit off when comparing the two but that is disappointing and again the tank issue! I am glad I am not the only once who noticed this odd behavior.
Old 06-14-22 | 11:19 AM
wattyb2
Driver

Ah, gotcha. That makes sense now. No matter how you drive it, you're going to get 420 miles per tank, even with no electric charging.
Old 06-14-22 | 12:54 PM
LiBeRtAs
Advanced

I love the car also, I am trying to find the sweet spot to advance park in a parallel spot.

A couple of times I’ve been unable to get it to function.
Old 06-16-22 | 10:10 AM
lilalekat
Driver School Candidate

Thank you so much for posting this! I thought I was losing my mind with the gas range references. 😩 I have an NX f sport 22 as well, and each time I fill up I rarely see it go over 300 miles until empty. Just yesterday I pumped only 11 gallons and it stated 293 miles until empty. I let it get to only have about 5 miles left and pumped the gas and it only pumped 11.4 gallons. I’m like where is the other 3 or so gallons at???? 👀🙄