NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Preferred position for phone mount?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-22, 07:02 AM
beeko
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Preferred position for phone mount?

Hi, all,

Waiting impatiently for my NX350h to arrive in a few months, but wanted to ask you current owners: where is your preferred mount position for placing a smartphone around the dashboard?

Ideally, I’d like to secure a MagSafe-compatible charging mount where I can glance at it while driving, and where it won’t interfere with the vast display and *****, but the dash seems like it’s quite “full” already.

Would be great if you also have a photo example. Thanks in advance!
Old 06-16-22, 07:10 AM
lsft
Racer

Received 600 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by beeko
Hi, all,

Waiting impatiently for my NX350h to arrive in a few months, but wanted to ask you current owners: where is your preferred mount position for placing a smartphone around the dashboard?

Ideally, I’d like to secure a MagSafe-compatible charging mount where I can glance at it while driving, and where it won’t interfere with the vast display and *****, but the dash seems like it’s quite “full” already.

Would be great if you also have a photo example. Thanks in advance!
You have wireless CarPlay. Is there any reason why you need to look at the phone?
Old 06-16-22, 07:13 AM
wattyb2
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Agree with LSFT.

That aside, I think your best option is either A) some kind of mount that sits in the cupholder (WeatherTech?), B) some kind of mount on the glass, or C) wait to see if ProClips (I think) comes out with one for the A pillar which is not guaranteed.
Old 06-16-22, 09:00 PM
Lakerstrg
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Agreed, I have wireless AA in my sienna and I never feel the need to take the phone out of my pocket anymore. Wireless is a gamechanger.
Old 06-16-22, 11:09 PM
beeko
10th Gear

Thanks, folks,

I would love to just keep my iPhone in my pocket and rely solely on wireless CarPlay, but not all iOS apps support Apple CarPlay, so wireless CarPlay won't cover all my needs.
- Last I checked, Signal (an arguably more secure messaging app than WhatsApp) doesn't work in CarPlay, and it's my main messaging app.
- Does Zoom show a shared screen in CarPlay?
- Also not sure whether other time-sensitive apps I use would be supported, but those are the main two that come to mind.

I'm going to dig through YouTube videos of people showing CarPlay in detail to see how the coverage is for my use cases, but in the meantime, I have an expiring coupon for a car mount, so if I did need to pick a mount, I wanted to learn where anyone else tends to mount their smartphones?

Cheers!
Old 06-17-22, 05:57 AM
beeko
10th Gear

Thanks, folks, for the replies!

I plan to use the wireless CarPlay feature with my iPhone 13, but from what I've read, there are precious few apps that support CarPlay:
- Signal is my go-to messaging app (and arguably more secure/private than WhatsApp and others) and doesn't work with CarPlay
- I need the Zoom screenshare to work (can't tell if it does, but a quick Google says no)
- Not sure if there are any other time-sensitive apps I use that I would need, will have to YouTube-learn about that

Second reason is that I'm just reading the Qi wireless charger won't reliably charge my iPhone 13 + case anyway, so I'm planning to buy a wireless charging mount to solve both this and the above problem.
Old 06-17-22, 06:08 AM
lsft
Racer

Received 600 Likes on 403 Posts

If you prefer to have a mount, I saw this on facebook that someone put in their NX. It's from Taiwan though

https://mama75.mymy.tw/item-show.html?&id=1195371

Old 06-17-22, 07:08 AM
gb350h
Rookie

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by lsft
If you prefer to have a mount, I saw this on facebook that someone put in their NX. It's from Taiwan though

https://mama75.mymy.tw/item-show.html?&id=1195371

not bad, i saw amazon has similar product as well. see https://a.co/d/1kZZdao
Old 06-17-22, 07:15 AM
beeko
10th Gear

Thanks, @lsft. I did see that one online, and I'm in Taiwan anyhow so access isn't an issue. I like that it somehow mounts on/around the vent dials, so maybe I can use that bracket and attach a MagSafe wireless charger onto it (and feed a short cable from the USB-C port)?

Would anyone be able to help me measure the flat ledge distance in front of those vent dials?

Last edited by beeko; 06-17-22 at 07:20 AM.
Old 06-17-22, 04:16 PM
geomike
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Has anyone tried this model?

I'm not sure as per the pictures that it will fit! Can someone confirm ?
Old 06-17-22, 04:16 PM
geomike
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Has anyone tried this model?

I'm not sure as per the pictures that it will fit! Can someone confirm ?
Old 06-17-22, 07:11 PM
Randyp1234
Advanced

Received 236 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by gb350h
not bad, i saw amazon has similar product as well. see https://a.co/d/1kZZdao
That Amazon one looks really nice!
Old 06-18-22, 03:51 PM
Randyp1234
Advanced

Received 236 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by lsft
You have wireless CarPlay. Is there any reason why you need to look at the phone?
The wireless Car Play that it seems most people can't get to work?
Old 06-19-22, 11:40 AM
wattyb2
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Randyp1234
The wireless Car Play that it seems most people can't get to work?
Since I turned off my VPN, I have had zero issues with CarPlay working. Only issue is whether it prioritizes my phone or my wife's if we both get into the car at the same time, but I think it recalls the last person driving within a certain amount of time, which is nice. Switching between is pretty painless as well now.
Old 06-19-22, 01:00 PM
Kusala
Pit Crew

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts

I haven't had any issues with Apple Car Play and neither has my partner. We also both run VPNs. As we discovered yesterday, if two people have keys, whoever touches the door handles first will become the default driver. So it's a good reminder for me to always open the door for my wife!

Originally Posted by wattyb2
Since I turned off my VPN, I have had zero issues with CarPlay working. Only issue is whether it prioritizes my phone or my wife's if we both get into the car at the same time, but I think it recalls the last person driving within a certain amount of time, which is nice. Switching between is pretty painless as well now.

Quick Reply: Preferred position for phone mount?