NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

NX 450h+ - Digital Rear View Mirror aftermarket

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-22, 11:48 AM
kkick
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NX 450h+ - Digital Rear View Mirror aftermarket

Not intending to take alot of flack with this question but I acquired this vehicle about two months ago and flipped a coin between two dealerships that I had been working with as both had an incoming allocation for me. I went with the one with a lower markup (3K) that is fully loaded with the exception of one thing, which is the digital rearview mirror. I know that mirror was not worth purchasing the other vehicle with a higher markup but was thinking if all the cameras are installed on the panoramic view, and assuming the connection might be in the location where the mirror is, would it be possible to purchase a digital rear view mirror from lexus and add it? Again, assuming there needs to be some type of wiring ran to the rear camera (which I don't want to do) but wondering if anyone has any ideas on this.

Thanks
Old 06-16-22, 12:34 PM
wattyb2
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Not sure, but have you spent time with it to know you want one? I figure it could be handy occasionally if you're hauling a lot of stuff that blocks the actual mirror, but other than that, it gives me some "queasiness" having it on all the time as the depth perception is something that I imagine not all will like.
Old 06-16-22, 12:45 PM
CaptAngry
Pit Crew

Received 80 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by wattyb2
Not sure, but have you spent time with it to know you want one? I figure it could be handy occasionally if you're hauling a lot of stuff that blocks the actual mirror, but other than that, it gives me some "queasiness" having it on all the time as the depth perception is something that I imagine not all will like.
We had the digital mirror in our previous Subaru, and now in the Lexus. They are essentially the same, and you are spot on about the depth perception. In a normal glass mirror, the "depth" your eyes adjust to is already set to far-away. But for a mirror that is a screen, your eyes must adjust to the very closeness of the mirror, even though you are "looking" at things far away. It is not a great feeling.

We used the mirror for both the Ascent and now the NX very infrequently. So I wouldn't be bothered in the least to not have it.
The following users liked this post:
blueless (06-16-22)
Old 06-16-22, 02:07 PM
hintonwood
Pit Crew

Received 95 Likes on 55 Posts

The digital mirror made me feel queasy so I hardly used it for the first couple of months.

I read a post saying that they had persevered with it and now wouldn’t ever want to be without it.

I have travelled 3200 miles in my NX and the last 1500 solely with the digital mirror. I too couldn’t easily go back to the glass mirror. My advice is to give it time… it grows on you.
Old 06-16-22, 02:09 PM
wattyb2
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

With how much I tend to check my mirrors, I think I'd make myself sick only using the digital...but glad it worked for you!
Old 06-16-22, 02:14 PM
hintonwood
Pit Crew

Received 95 Likes on 55 Posts

With how much I tend to check my mirrors, I think I'd make myself sick only using the digital...but glad it worked for you!
Me too - that’s why it made me feel sick at first. I always like to know exactly what is behind me so look at it a lot!
Old 06-16-22, 06:58 PM
lsft
Racer

Received 613 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by hintonwood
Me too - that’s why it made me feel sick at first. I always like to know exactly what is behind me so look at it a lot!
I love the digital mirror. Works well when you have someone sitting in the middle seat and you can see more with the digital mirror. It's much wider. I have no issues with the mirror or the digital view.
Old 07-29-22, 09:46 AM
Mamberly
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I just picked up my F Sport, and it came with everything but the Digital Rear View Mirror. I was wondering if I could do it myself... If the connection is already there, then it's quite possible.
I'm willing to try install it myself if someone has the part number for it.
Old 07-29-22, 10:53 AM
Htrain
Rookie

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Relieved to hear others have experienced the "queasy" feeling. I thought it was just my aging eyes. Even after 4 months, I can't seem to comfortably use it. I have not had occasion to have someone in the middle of the back seat but will remember that if I do or have some cargo blocking the rear view mirror.
Old 07-29-22, 11:06 AM
midcow3
Racer

Received 656 Likes on 436 Posts
Question Even ML ?

Originally Posted by Mamberly
I just picked up my F Sport, and it came with everything but the Digital Rear View Mirror. I was wondering if I could do it myself... If the connection is already there, then it's quite possible.
I'm willing to try install it myself if someone has the part number for it.
Even ML? Wow, wish I would have known they added ML.

YMMV,
MidCow3
The following users liked this post:
Mamberly (07-29-22)
Old 07-29-22, 12:57 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,018 Likes on 696 Posts

I agree with the above and with the others who have said that the digital rear view mirror causes "queasiness".

I find that, every time my eyes go to the digital rear view mirror (on my Toyota RAV4 Hybrid), it takes me a couple of seconds for my eyes to adjust to what I'm seeing. It is also the case that shiny interior trim can reflect back onto the mirror and further degrade the quality of the image on the mirror. Plus, there is a fraction of second delay (referred to as latency on digital cameras) between the time when the camera is picking up the image and the time when it appears on the mirror/screen.

While the unobstructed and wider angle view of the digital mirror is very nice, the drawbacks of the digital mirror have led me not to use it.
Old 07-29-22, 10:53 PM
Mamberly
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm assuming the Mark Levinson sound system? If so, yes, it came with it.

Old 07-12-24, 12:52 AM
gcskoor
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

On the temperate of digital mirror, I checked mine on a long drive. Cabin temp set to 71F. 22 350h. After sunset, so no direct sun heat. To the touch, it was very warm. Not burning hot, but much more that I would have expected. I do wonder what the service life will be with that heat.