NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Digital key problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-22, 06:33 PM
LiBeRtAs
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Digital key problems

If the digital key is connected you’ll see Bluetooth icons on the app over the lock and unlock symbols I believe. My digital key is connected because it says I can remove the key which means there is a key connected but no Bluetooth icons and I can’t start the car with my digital key.

Tried closing everything re-opening starting over and when I do connect the key it doesn’t tell me that I’ve connected it, but I think it’s connected because then it tells me I can remove it which wouldn’t tell me if it hadn’t been connected.

but still no Bluetooth icons and still no ability to start the car using the digital key.

And why when trying to do this connecting phone Bluetooth to the car does it kick me off of my Wi-Fi?

Last edited by LiBeRtAs; 06-17-22 at 06:41 PM.
Old 06-20-22, 03:57 PM
LiBeRtAs
Advanced

Removed key and try to add it back on since it wasn’t working and I got a message that Lexus has a problem with iOS 15 and up.

Do you know what would be awesome, if you could locate your key using the app if your key was lost. I know there is a product you can buy that you put onto the key ring.

Last edited by LiBeRtAs; 06-20-22 at 04:12 PM.
Old 06-20-22, 04:37 PM
timdakao
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by LiBeRtAs
Removed key and try to add it back on since it wasn’t working and I got a message that Lexus has a problem with iOS 15 and up.

Do you know what would be awesome, if you could locate your key using the app if your key was lost. I know there is a product you can buy that you put onto the key ring.
AirTags for iPhones and tile for android are good
The following users liked this post:
LiBeRtAs (06-20-22)
Old 06-24-22, 10:11 AM
Ihave1cat
Intermediate

Received 139 Likes on 82 Posts

Not to hijack this thread - but I think there may be a larger issue. I can't even add my digital key. When I go to add it - it tells me that there is an error:
Old 06-24-22, 11:28 AM
450hPlus
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I skip the digital key altogether
Randyp1234 (06-24-22)
Old 06-24-22, 01:07 PM
LiBeRtAs
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ihave1cat
Not to hijack this thread - but I think there may be a larger issue. I can't even add my digital key. When I go to add it - it tells me that there is an error:
there’s a message in the chat of the app when I ask about digital key and it says for iPhones it’s an outstanding issue they are working on.
Old 06-26-22, 04:07 AM
Ihave1cat
Intermediate

there’s a message in the chat of the app when I ask about digital key and it says for iPhones it’s an outstanding issue they are working on.
Update: for me at least, everything works now. I had to sign out of the app, then back in - which would allow me one attempt to register the digital key (any more would give the above error).

I’m on an iPhone 12 Pro, with iOS 15.5, and no issues so far. It connects and unlocks, starts, etc.

the one thing is that the Lexus app must be open. As in must be launched. If it isn’t (if it’s not in memory, by swiping it away - it doesn’t have to be modal) - the digital key won’t work.

too bad they aren’t using the native implementation of Apple car keys.
Old 06-26-22, 08:03 AM
Randyp1234
Advanced

Received 236 Likes on 171 Posts

Update: for me at least, everything works now. I had to sign out of the app, then back in - which would allow me one attempt to register the digital key (any more would give the above error).

I’m on an iPhone 12 Pro, with iOS 15.5, and no issues so far. It connects and unlocks, starts, etc.

the one thing is that the Lexus app must be open. As in must be launched. If it isn’t (if it’s not in memory, by swiping it away - it doesn’t have to be modal) - the digital key won’t work.

I'm not asking the following question to be argumentative but given that you always have to have the app running and such, why would you want to use this instead of just using the fob?

Randy
Old 06-26-22, 08:39 AM
Ihave1cat
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Randyp1234
I'm not asking the following question to be argumentative but given that you always have to have the app running and such, why would you want to use this instead of just using the fob?
Randy
Not at all!
So in terms of the app running - I strictly speak from the Apple crowd. It's not that the app has to be open and in front of you, you just can't swipe it away (https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201330) - so as long as you have launched it - it will work fine (even if your open app is Reddit - for example or the phone screen is off)
The best logical case I have is more for the convenience of others. The digital key can be shared, allowing you to give access to others, without giving them the fob.

Now, where my concerns are:
  • In Canada, there are no digital documents - so you have to carry your drivers license, which means you can also carry the credit card key (which comes with every trim that the digital key comes with as well)
  • I don't trust the digital key to work 100% of the time - so I have to carry a physical fob/credit card key anyway - now, I haven't seen it not work, but hey, there is a chance!
  • Let's say you are on the beach and want to lock your wallet/fob/credit card in the Lexus, do you trust having the key in the car, solely relying on the digital key? What happens if your phone dies due to heat/water/seagulls?

While I think it's a cool system, I don't believe it's really backed by the same reliability as the brand. Until there is a better implementation (Lexus, if you're listening, why not use Apple's digital car key - it's built in to iOS and used by other car manufacturers!) - I just can't trust it enough yet. I think there will be a time where I throw caution into the wind and say "screw it, wallet and phone, and nothing else" - but that day is not today.

So - to answer (from my perspective) - why?
  • convenience - albeit one that warrants caution
  • being able to share the key, rather than giving a physical one
  • to show your friends that you have a cool feature (face it, I think we all do this)
Old 06-26-22, 08:58 AM
LiBeRtAs
Advanced

Are you seeing the Bluetooth icons next to the lock and unlock parts of the screen on the app?

Last edited by LiBeRtAs; 06-26-22 at 09:03 AM.
Old 06-26-22, 02:52 PM
LiBeRtAs
Advanced

And where are these two words on the app" MY GARAGE"

I cant find them unless I login to my account on the web, but Lexus says on the app it says that and this is where I can confirm if the digital key is connected.

they say click on the VIN and it is in the dropdown, I see several categories in there but non say that...

Last edited by LiBeRtAs; 06-26-22 at 03:00 PM.
Old 06-26-22, 08:24 PM
Ihave1cat
Intermediate

Are you seeing the Bluetooth icons next to the lock and unlock parts of the screen on the app?
Yes

And where are these two words on the app" MY GARAGE"

I cant find them unless I login to my account on the web, but Lexus says on the app it says that and this is where I can confirm if the digital key is connected.
maybe I’m wrong, but the “my garage” was used in the legacy app. Now it’s the circular car button in the bottom centre row.
you have to tap and hold it.

Old 07-01-22, 11:20 AM
Ihave1cat
Intermediate

I don't like bumping threads, especially with a reply of my own - but I feel that I must mention a few things in the interest of public knowledge.

The Digital key is great for what it is - I've started relying on it as my main key when I go to the gym (so I don't have to take my wallet with me) - however, it's not without its downsides or weird idiosyncrasies.
Firstly - caveat emptor - the battery life of (and I speak from the Apple camp here) - is significantly impacted by the digital key. When the application is running - the iPhone's power usage reports that the Lexus application uses somewhere in the ballpark of 20% power while in the background. I can only assume that it's constantly polling Bluetooth to see If there is an active connection, and then allows it to open.
This isn't a big deal for me - but if you are someone who relies on your phone charge-to-charge, you will notice a not-insignificant decrease to your overall lifespan.
The second - again, not a big deal, is that the digital key works for almost everything - except locking the car through the rear tailgate. I had this confirmed by my Lexus dealer. The digital key will not allow you to press that "lock car and close the trunk" button.

The most important thing I want to mention is that battery life part - I think it would be most important for people to know.
BC310 (07-03-22)
Old 07-01-22, 02:52 PM
LiBeRtAs
Advanced

I don't like bumping threads, especially with a reply of my own - but I feel that I must mention a few things in the interest of public knowledge.

The Digital key is great for what it is - I've started relying on it as my main key when I go to the gym (so I don't have to take my wallet with me) - however, it's not without its downsides or weird idiosyncrasies.
Firstly - caveat emptor - the battery life of (and I speak from the Apple camp here) - is significantly impacted by the digital key. When the application is running - the iPhone's power usage reports that the Lexus application uses somewhere in the ballpark of 20% power while in the background. I can only assume that it's constantly polling Bluetooth to see If there is an active connection, and then allows it to open.
This isn't a big deal for me - but if you are someone who relies on your phone charge-to-charge, you will notice a not-insignificant decrease to your overall lifespan.
The second - again, not a big deal, is that the digital key works for almost everything - except locking the car through the rear tailgate. I had this confirmed by my Lexus dealer. The digital key will not allow you to press that "lock car and close the trunk" button.

The most important thing I want to mention is that battery life part - I think it would be most important for people to know.
Thanks for the pm, by the way.

When I try and get the key to show up on Bluetooth it wont, Lexus chat via digital key told me to "forget" it and start from scratch, and now it wont show up. Lexus says there is a known issue with Apple ios15 so you being able to connect is interesting. I was even told to empty cache and everything in Safari, that didnt help. I reset network settings, etc.

Bummer. As to the battery, if you force close the app does it stop using battery?

Old 07-03-22, 06:17 AM
Ihave1cat
Intermediate

Thanks for the pm, by the way.

When I try and get the key to show up on Bluetooth it wont, Lexus chat via digital key told me to "forget" it and start from scratch, and now it wont show up. Lexus says there is a known issue with Apple ios15 so you being able to connect is interesting. I was even told to empty cache and everything in Safari, that didnt help. I reset network settings, etc.

Bummer. As to the battery, if you force close the app does it stop using battery?
just spent the last 24hrs with the app closed - and have some bad news to report:
Battery drain is still present even after swiping the app away.
from what I understand, the Lexus app makes some low-level hooks into the OS and allows for triggers to happen - such as notifications and polling for your location.

I found that, even after closing the app, I received notifications about doors open, and “check the rear seat”. Additionally, it seems like the doors for the car did open with the app closed - something that contradicts my original findings, although it only happened once.

it’s a bummer really.

30% over the past 24 hrs isn’t what I would consider optimal…. It’s also 95% background too - the app isn’t even open during that time. I can understand Safari, because I use it, and so it’s screen-on time, but this is too much.

you may see from the list that there is an app - TD MyAdvantage, which monitors driving habits and gives you savings based on how you drive. The app - which one would think to be power-hungry, as it always runs, is totally dwarfed by the Lexus app.

this makes me think that very little care was put into the creation of the app, and testing. Sure, it works, but not well…

Quick Reply: Digital key problems