NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Lexus Navigation > Waze

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-22, 12:57 PM
Esuric86
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Lexus Navigation > Waze

Lexus' navigation system in the new NX is better than Waze. There have been multiple occasions where Waze suggested a much more, traffic ingested route in relation to the Lexus navi. The downside is that the Lexus system doesn't warn you of police presence. That said, it's unfortunate that I found this out because my infotainment system continuously drops my phone connection. I can't use Waze anymore because of this issue - it will drop in the middle of nowhere and I'll have to pull over to switch to the Lexus navigation. Often I have had to pull over in dangerous locations on the highway. But again, I was pleasantly surprised by how much better the Lexus navi was.
Old 06-23-22, 01:15 PM
nitrolada
Pit Crew

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

i find the POI in lexus is also really outdated (it includes businesses which have been closed for years in a location for example)..not sure why when it supposedly gets data from google.

Old 06-23-22, 04:32 PM
wattyb2
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Esuric86
Often I have had to pull over in dangerous locations on the highway.
To be clear, you don't HAVE to pull over somewhere dangerous in order to get your phone reconnected.

You can wait for the next safe location to do so, which I'd argue is what you should be doing....
The following users liked this post:
Vitveet (06-25-22)
Old 06-24-22, 01:32 PM
Mrnovanova
Driver

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Esuric86
Lexus' navigation system in the new NX is better than Waze. There have been multiple occasions where Waze suggested a much more, traffic ingested route in relation to the Lexus navi. The downside is that the Lexus system doesn't warn you of police presence. That said, it's unfortunate that I found this out because my infotainment system continuously drops my phone connection. I can't use Waze anymore because of this issue - it will drop in the middle of nowhere and I'll have to pull over to switch to the Lexus navigation. Often I have had to pull over in dangerous locations on the highway. But again, I was pleasantly surprised by how much better the Lexus navi was.
I'm guessing you have the 14 inch screen with navigation free for 3 years because that's the only way I can give it a little credit. For $20 a month it's trash. Paid it for a month to test it out and yeah it's way better than last year's but it doesn't come close to google maps or Waze. The issue with me is that it kept suggesting I get off the highway 5 exits before mine and at every subsequent exit even though there was 0 traffic. It's not worth the subscription fee.
The following users liked this post:
gb350h (06-25-22)
Old 06-25-22, 08:15 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 866 Likes on 653 Posts

Be sure to check the settings in Any navigation system to make sure that Highways and/or Tollways are enabled.
The default setting on Lexus Navigation is "Avoid Tollways? "Yes". You must have an actual route programmed to
access the Preferences menu to change this to "No". This first route does Not have to involve a tollway BTW.

A bit of an analogy for the new Interface subscripted Lexus Navigation might be: we can listen to Sirus radio using
the cars tuner/antenna (if you pay) or you can listen through your phone's app/cellular service (if you pay). When we
are using Apple/Google/Waze maps they are not in the phone, we are reaching remote servers. These are available
because we bought the phone instrument and have a phone data plan (for which we pay). The new Lexus setup is
more knowledgeable and responsive because it works like our phones. 1000 threads on CL on how substandard the
built-in clunky obsolete brain dead native automaker Navigation systems were and they have solved that, right? Now
we expect it to be free, forever?