NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Lessons in NX 450h+ tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-22, 09:55 AM
scooky
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Kusala
I've been using run flats for years on all my German sedans. Never had any problems with noise, performance et al. If concerned bring along a donut. I just don't get the fuss.
This is also a very good point.
Keeping the run flats is definitely a valid option. Especially if they don't bother you personally.

I like to know and evaluate my options and that involves hearing about things others don't like. Don't have to agree with them or adopt their philosophy.
It's a balance of lots of things like comfort, risk management, and cost, etc.
None of the options work 100% of the time.
A friend of mine had all 4 wheels stolen at a trailhead in the mountains. Good luck planning for that scenario.
Old 07-08-22, 09:58 AM
Kusala
Pit Crew

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts

I couldn't agree more! What a boring place the world would be if we all preferred the same. That's some bad luck on your friends part!

Originally Posted by scooky
This is also a very good point.
Keeping the run flats is definitely a valid option. Especially if they don't bother you personally.

I like to know and evaluate my options and that involves hearing about things others don't like. Don't have to agree with them or adopt their philosophy.
It's a balance of lots of things like comfort, risk management, and cost, etc.
None of the options work 100% of the time.
A friend of mine had all 4 wheels stolen at a trailhead in the mountains. Good luck planning for that scenario.
Old 07-09-22, 09:36 AM
midcow3
Racer

Received 529 Likes on 346 Posts
Default Call AAA

Originally Posted by 2GR
If you change run flats out with regular tires, what do you do when you have a flat?
I plan to change out at 20K when the originals wear out. Tires rarely have problems these days and when they do AAA premium is the way to go.
The following users liked this post:
2GR (07-12-22)
Old 07-09-22, 09:42 AM
midcow3
Racer

Question replace 3 good tires ??

Seems a little extreme to replace 4 tires when you hit a pot hole. I would wait until all four tires have worn about 20K.

Regular tires will ride better, be less noisy and last much lionger and be lighter so even better mileage.

I plan to change to Michelin CrossClimate2
xcoreflyup (07-09-22)
Old 07-10-22, 02:52 PM
midcow3
Racer

Lightbulb A good run-flat thread

A good run-flat thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...errerid=161523

YMMV,
MidCow3
Old 07-11-22, 08:05 PM
BabyLFA
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just get a spare from modernspare.com input your car info and they'll send you the right size spare with everything you need
Old 07-11-22, 09:33 PM
midcow3
Racer

Angry NX has space for a spare tire ??

Originally Posted by BabyLFA
Just get a spare from modernspare.com input your car info and they'll send you the right size spare with everything you need
And where are you going to put it in your NX ? Lexus used up any spare tire space. Good Luck!

YMMV,
MidCow3
Old 07-11-22, 11:15 PM
BabyLFA
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

in the tailgate area
Old 07-12-22, 11:34 AM
chuuck1e
Pit Crew

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

They are on backorder at modernspare.com.

My wife's 2012 Camry has a compact spare, which has the same bolt pattern as the NX. I wonder if it will fit the NX. If it does, I could just throw it in the back of the NX if I take a long trip. However, since the spare is now over 10 years old, I am not sure how reliable it would be.
Old 07-13-22, 07:04 AM
midcow3
Racer

Thumbs up Great idea!

in the tailgate area
The spare can be ordered with a case and a jack; perfect. $464.95 You can put it behind the second row of seats (tailgate area) and it will stand up and you will still have a little space left or you can fold down both rear seats and lay the spare tire kit flat. If you put the tire in the tailgate area it should only stick up a little and won't block most of your rear view.

A couple of tie-down straps and the tire kit won't' slide around when you are driving.

This is an awesome way to have a spare tire and ensure you won't be stranded if you have a flat or blow-out. The spare it takes is worth it for those very rare times you might be stranded because of a tire problem.

YMMV,
MidCow3

Last edited by midcow3; 07-13-22 at 09:50 AM.
Old 07-13-22, 09:33 AM
anoop
Intermediate

Received 95 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by lsft
Keep in mind the tire has weight and that is one big reason why they removed it. I understand a spare or donut will be great in any case of a blown tire, but what happens when you blow 2 tires? At the end it may end up being the same. Having a spare in the trunk over the years of driving the car and never use it means lost in efficiency. Touching wood in saying this... for the cars I've driven over the past 25 years, I only needed the spare tire once. Other times the spare tire is still brand new when the car is time to go. I did swap out the full size spare one time, so that I didn't need to replace 2 tires in one repair, but at the end - unless you are very unlucky or you live in a construction zone, I don't see the point of hauling a tire everywhere and use more gas.
If weight was the primary reason why would they use 20" wheels? Also RFTs weigh more than regular tires, so the weight savings is not clear. It might just be a few lb. Using RFT is probably the worst direction by Lexus. Bridgestone is relatively better as an RFT in the sense that it's closer to a regular tire than Pirelli or Michelin RFTs, but they still become a lot harder than non-RFT after say the first 10K miles of wear. I must be very unlucky because I have used the spare at least once in every car that I have owned. In cars with RFTs I never had flats but the ride was always very harsh especially on bad pavement.
Old 07-13-22, 10:08 AM
midcow3
Racer

Originally Posted by lsft
Keep in mind the tire has weight and that is one big reason why they removed it. I understand a spare or donut will be great in any case of a blown tire, but what happens when you blow 2 tires? At the end it may end up being the same. Having a spare in the trunk over the years of driving the car and never use it means lost in efficiency. Touching wood in saying this... for the cars I've driven over the past 25 years, I only needed the spare tire once. Other times the spare tire is still brand new when the car is time to go. I did swap out the full size spare one time, so that I didn't need to replace 2 tires in one repair, but at the end - unless you are very unlucky or you live in a construction zone, I don't see the point of hauling a tire everywhere and use more gas.
Originally Posted by anoop
If weight was the primary reason why would they use 20" wheels? Also RFTs weigh more than regular tires, so the weight savings is not clear. It might just be a few lb. Using RFT is probably the worst direction by Lexus. Bridgestone is relatively better as an RFT in the sense that it's closer to a regular tire than Pirelli or Michelin RFTs, but they still become a lot harder than non-RFT after say the first 10K miles of wear. I must be very unlucky because I have used the spare at least once in every car that I have owned. In cars with RFTs I never had flats but the ride was always very harsh especially on bad pavement.
I think @lsft is correct, mainly a weight issue. The modern spare tire weight: It is 34 lbs for the wheel and tire alone. 48 lbs for the full kit with all of the tools etc.
@anoop sorry, you have had so many spare tire problems. I have only had one in the last several years and it was a doozy. slowing to 30mph on the exit ramp and hit a huge pothole; blew a tire and obliterated the rim on golf R. As luck would have it, I had a spare but the wheel locknut was not in the car{ another long story). I had to have it towed to the dealer anyway. I strongly believe in AAA and have their Premier service.

Peace to all and no more flats.

YMMV,
MidCow3

Old 07-13-22, 10:18 AM
anoop
Intermediate

Received 95 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by midcow3
I think @lsft is correct, mainly a weight issue. The modern spare tire weight: It is 34 lbs for the wheel and tire alone. 48 lbs for the full kit with all of the tools etc.

A quick check on tirerack shows that for the 20" wheel, the difference in weight between bridgestone non-RFT and RFT is 6 lb per tire. So we already lost 24 lb of that. Is 20 lb of weight saving on a 4000 lb vehicle material? If weight is the issue, then why is Lexus putting 20" wheels on a luxury vehicle? Bridgestone makes a good RFT so at least it behaves almost like a regular tire when new. But they will be much harder than regular tires as they age and will also need to be replaced sooner (less life). Won't matter for most folks here since they probably change cars before the tires are worn.

Peace to all and no more flats.
Did you mean "Peace to all and no more run flats"?

Last edited by anoop; 07-13-22 at 10:23 AM.
CdO (08-21-22)
Old 07-13-22, 08:15 PM
ct6978
Intermediate

Received 171 Likes on 100 Posts

Seems a little extreme to replace 4 tires when you hit a pot hole. I would wait until all four tires have worn about 20K.

Regular tires will ride better, be less noisy and last much lionger and be lighter so even better mileage.

I plan to change to Michelin CrossClimate2
Prior to getting the NX, we put the CrossClimate2s on a RAV4, replaced Michelin Primacys, I think. The CC2s were great tires, much better dry and wet handling. The noise was higher, which didn't bother me. I really liked the improvement. I believe the treadwear rating was slightly worse, too.
midcow3 (07-13-22)
Old 07-13-22, 08:26 PM
midcow3
Racer

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ct6978
Prior to getting the NX, we put the CrossClimate2s on a RAV4, replaced Michelin Primacys, I think. The CC2s were great tires, much better dry and wet handling. The noise was higher, which didn't bother me. I really liked the improvement. I believe the treadwear rating was slightly worse, too.
Interesting! I thought the noise would be less.

YMMV,
MidCow3

Quick Reply: Lessons in NX 450h+ tires