NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Lexus NX450h+ Steering Wheel Vibrations

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-22 | 03:08 PM
huntid2020
8th Gear

Default Lexus NX450h+ Steering Wheel Vibrations

Last edited by huntid2020; 08-27-22 at 04:43 PM.
Old 07-25-22 | 03:13 PM
nx450plus
Pit Crew

A post in a previously related thread suggested to check the alignment. I have driven my 450h+ 3500 km on terrible roads and the steering wheel is fine even at 120 km/h
Old 07-25-22 | 05:52 PM
lsft
Racer

I agree it related to an unbalanced tire which will cause steering wheel vibrations. Or there is some alignment issues or a bend rim.

I'll be happy for the person who will be buying your 450h+ without having to wait that long for one. With a simple fix with a tire will bypass the long wait.
The following users liked this post:
Kusala (07-25-22)
Old 07-26-22 | 04:39 PM
FastFord
Racer

Originally Posted by huntid2020
Hello all, my 2 week old NX450h+ drives great, very smooth BUT the steering wheel vibrates ALOT! It is at the dealer now and they cannot give me an answer yet as to why. Could this be the Run Flat tires? I was thinking to just bite the bullet and swap them out with non-rfs. I am very disappointed in the car because of this because it makes my 45 minute commute very uncomfortable. After driving, feels like I was using a handheld electric wood sander for a while. I have actually listed the car for sale - it's that annoying. Thanks for any helpful inputs....
Hey sorry you feel that bad about the car. I had one like that (hated) traded it in after one month (VW)

Great news for you is your 450H is probably worth more now than what you paid. Where I am they are selling used for more than list price of a new one.. Same with Toyota Prime!

Tell your dealer you are fed up and want to trade it, you might be surprised what they give you for it. If you are in Ontario Canada I would seriously considering buying it from you....send me a PM if it's something you would consider.
lsft (07-26-22)
Old 07-31-22 | 03:22 AM
lsft
Racer

Hello all, my 2 week old NX450h+ drives great, very smooth BUT the steering wheel vibrates ALOT! It is at the dealer now and they cannot give me an answer yet as to why. Could this be the Run Flat tires? I was thinking to just bite the bullet and swap them out with non-rfs. I am very disappointed in the car because of this because it makes my 45 minute commute very uncomfortable. After driving, feels like I was using a handheld electric wood sander for a while. I have actually listed the car for sale - it's that annoying. Thanks for any helpful inputs....
Was this resolved?
Old 07-31-22 | 07:06 AM
huntid2020
8th Gear

No. It was in the shop for a week and Lexus claimed nothing wrong. I test drove the 22' NX350 non-run flat tires and it did not have this issue. I'm pretty sure it's the tires. I opened a claim with Lexus but I doubt that will go anywhere. I probably will just buy new tires for it soon and move on with my life. Definitely my LAST Lexus ever though. This is my 7th brand new one and last. Lesson here, is do not ever buy 1st year model and customer loyalty means nothing in 2022.
Old 07-31-22 | 08:43 AM
midcow3
Racer

Exclamation

No. It was in the shop for a week and Lexus claimed nothing wrong. I test drove the 22' NX350 non-run flat tires and it did not have this issue. I'm pretty sure it's the tires. I opened a claim with Lexus but I doubt that will go anywhere. I probably will just buy new tires for it soon and move on with my life. Definitely my LAST Lexus ever though. This is my 7th brand new one and last. Lesson here, is do not ever buy 1st year model and customer loyalty means nothing in 2022.
A set of BAD TIRES has nothing to do with the 1rst year model or Lexus quality. Bite the bullet and go buy some new tires. However, first I would go to an independent tire dealer and get a full alignment and tire balance. Sometimes Lexus tire service is not the best it does not fit the Lexus service model of "replace with a new part".

YMMV,
MidCow3
The following 2 users liked this post by midcow3:
FastFord (07-31-22), Kusala (07-31-22)
Old 07-31-22 | 09:17 AM
Bigboiii
9th Gear

Vibrations in the steering in my experience are from a bent wheel or unbalanced wheel. I've even had a vehicle that had a wheel that wasn't round but they should see that when they throw it on the balancing machine. They will tell you the wheel isn't round and balancing it will not help. Might also be a bad wheel bearing but the dealer should have ruled that out if they inspected it properly. If the vibrations are that bad I'm not sure it will be the tires even if they are RFs.
Old 07-31-22 | 09:30 AM
FastFord
Racer

Trade it in, save the tax, get more than you paid for it, or sell it to me! I'll buy it and get it fixed.

ps, couldn't find it listed anywhere
Old 07-31-22 | 09:42 AM
redhot47fl
Intermediate

Originally Posted by midcow3
However, first I would go to an independent tire dealer and get a full alignment and tire balance. Sometimes Lexus tire service is not the best it does not fit the Lexus service model of "replace with a new part".

YMMV,
MidCow3
Be careful when dealing with independents regarding alignments. My NX350 non-hybrid was delivered last week with a significantly off-center steering wheel, which I didn’t realize until we were almost home (my bad). To save a 2 1/2 hour drive back to the dealer, I tried several independent shops - most didn’t want to touch a brand new car and those that would touch it didn’t have the right specs in their machine for the second gen NX350. Worse, the local Toyota dealer - despite being told repeatedly that the 2nd gen is an all-new vehicle - ended up speccing it to a 2021 first-gen NX300 hybrid with 18-inch wheels. I have 20s. They just as well might have specced it to a 1974 Ford Maverick. Bottom line: Though the steering wheel is now virtually centered, I have no idea how the Toyota tech got there, and I’m heading back to Lexus this week.
Old 07-31-22 | 10:04 AM
midcow3
Racer

Thumbs up Not All independent tire sops are good either

Originally Posted by redhot47fl
Be careful when dealing with independents regarding alignments. My NX350 non-hybrid was delivered last week with a significantly off-center steering wheel, which I didn’t realize until we were almost home (my bad). To save a 2 1/2 hour drive back to the dealer, I tried several independent shops - most didn’t want to touch a brand new car and those that would touch it didn’t have the right specs in their machine for the second gen NX350. Worse, the local Toyota dealer - despite being told repeatedly that the 2nd gen is an all-new vehicle - ended up speccing it to a 2021 first-gen NX300 hybrid with 18-inch wheels. I have 20s. They just as well might have specced it to a 1974 Ford Maverick. Bottom line: Though the steering wheel is now virtually centered, I have no idea how the Toyota tech got there, and I’m heading back to Lexus this week.
Great advice! If you don't already have a good established tire shop it may take some due diligence to find a good one. It seems these days not all businesses have a strong work ethic and/or are not technically competent. @redhot47fl and OP, I hope you both get your alignment, balance, and vibration problems fixed.

Peace and "smooth sailing "

YMMV,
MidCow3
redhot47fl (07-31-22)
Old 07-31-22 | 09:24 PM
xcoreflyup
Rookie

You sure it is not the Lane Keep Assist warning? Try turning it off.
Old 08-27-22 | 03:44 PM
huntid2020
8th Gear

Last edited by huntid2020; 08-27-22 at 04:43 PM.
Old 08-27-22 | 04:34 PM
FastFord
Racer

All those things you hate and you bought it anyway?

Good luck with an RX, hopefully you got one without transmission issues and hesitation issues. Check the RX section, thousands of posts about both.
Mine was so bad I traded it in like you.
Old 08-28-22 | 06:10 AM
lsft
Racer

What happened here?....

Quick Reply: Lexus NX450h+ Steering Wheel Vibrations