NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

40+ mpg impossible without driving everyone around you crazy

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-22, 07:17 PM
lsft
Racer

Received 600 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by darkloki
I have a 450+ and I don't know how to get 37 MPGe I keep getting 35.
37 miles of EV range is not 37MPGe. The 450h+ is 84MPGe rated. Do you drive a lot of highway/freeway driving?
Old 08-01-22, 07:24 PM
darkloki
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by lsft
37 miles of EV range is not 37MPGe. The 450h+ is 84MPGe rated. Do you drive a lot of highway/freeway driving?
37 EV range is what I'm trying to get and I can't come close to that, also how do I get to 84 MPGe? If I stay in Irvine I do local, like today was all local and I don't know lol I think I walked like half a mile today just to get to the car and when I parked it to charge at variuos locations. Trying hard to get that EV but I guess I'm getting healthier too due to all of the walking.
Old 08-01-22, 07:31 PM
midcow3
Racer

Received 567 Likes on 375 Posts
Cool Mark Levinson and only a couple of miles EV

but you don’t even have a 450+ redline yours is a 350
Yes, my EV is only a couple of miles, but I have leather seats, and a panoramic roof, and get to listen to Mark Levinson audio.

YMMV,
MidCow3
Old 08-01-22, 08:05 PM
anoop
Intermediate

Received 97 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by raviola4
Not sure what you’re talking about. I have the 350h. A recent 400 mile trip, 50-70 mph I got 45 mpg. Locally around town anywhere from 45-55 mpg.
And only driving like everyone else. Best mpg I’ve ever seen in cars I’ve owned.
How big are your wheels and the OP's wheels? Also need to make sure we're talking the same gallon since you're in de. Is that Delaware or Germany?
Old 08-01-22, 08:10 PM
lsft
Racer

37 EV range is what I'm trying to get and I can't come close to that, also how do I get to 84 MPGe? If I stay in Irvine I do local, like today was all local and I don't know lol I think I walked like half a mile today just to get to the car and when I parked it to charge at variuos locations. Trying hard to get that EV but I guess I'm getting healthier too due to all of the walking.
When you fully charge, what is the EV guess-o-meter?
Old 08-01-22, 08:14 PM
lsft
Racer

Originally Posted by midcow3
Yes, my EV is only a couple of miles, but I have leather seats, and a panoramic roof, and get to listen to Mark Levinson audio.

YMMV,
MidCow3
I'm glad you love the leather seats, pano roof and the ML system.

I don't like leather seats as it will be more work to keep it from cracking. Pano roof... I only sit in the driver seat - I don't care the back seat passengers. 😛
ML... I'll ok with the base system.

Everybody has their own preference and wants. Not everybody wants what you want.
Old 08-01-22, 08:19 PM
anoop
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lsft
I'm glad you love the leather seats, pano roof and the ML system.

I don't like leather seats as it will be more work to keep it from cracking. Pano roof... I only sit in the driver seat - I don't care the back seat passengers. 😛
ML... I'll ok with the base system.

Everybody has their own preference and wants. Not everybody wants what you want.
The leather nowadays is pretty heavily treated so I don’t think it is as susceptible to cracking. The seats in my RDX still look new after 4 years. Vinyl also cracks — it’s worse than leather because leather stretches but vinyl doesn’t. After 10 years in my BMW with leatherette, there were several long cracks (think like a fold and tear) in the driver seat. I never had passengers much so all other seats were like new. Of course faux leather is probably more durable as well nowadays. (Remember all the cracked dashes in cars from the 80’s?)
Old 08-01-22, 09:48 PM
darkloki
Driver

Originally Posted by midcow3

YMMV,
MidCow3
You know to be 100% honest with you I think you have something even better, you have less headache. I mean for me because my wife forked over the additional 20 thousand or so for the plug in, I have to pretty much make sure the battery is alwys full because if I let it drain and drive on empty EV battery the effiency is so bad I should have just gone with yours the 350h
Old 08-01-22, 10:09 PM
anoop
Intermediate

You know to be 100% honest with you I think you have something even better, you have less headache. I mean for me because my wife forked over the additional 20 thousand or so for the plug in, I have to pretty much make sure the battery is alwys full because if I let it drain and drive on empty EV battery the effiency is so bad I should have just gone with yours the 350h
As I assessed both the 450h+ made less and less sense because of higher price, higher markup (10k v 5k asking), and the need to plug in. Assuming $10/gallon gas and free electricity and you can always plug in run on electric, with a $10k different in price (base price diff + markup), you break even at roughly 40,000 miles. I don’t know if I will even keep the car that long. And gas is no where near $10, electricity is not free, and I am likely to need at least some gas. It just doesn’t make economic sense. And I forgot about the need to get a level 2 charger to make charging time reasonable. Some may want the 450h+ for the acceleration or cool factor but that is another matter.
Old 08-01-22, 10:22 PM
darkloki
Driver

Originally Posted by anoop
As I assessed both the 450h+ made less and less sense because of higher price, higher markup (10k v 5k asking), and the need to plug in. Assuming $10/gallon gas and free electricity and you can always plug in run on electric, with a $10k different in price (base price diff + markup), you break even at roughly 40,000 miles. I don’t know if I will even keep the car that long. And gas is no where near $10, electricity is not free, and I am likely to need at least some gas. It just doesn’t make economic sense. And I forgot about the need to get a level 2 charger to make charging time reasonable. Some may want the 450h+ for the acceleration or cool factor but that is another matter.
Yea I tell myself that I'm in a training regiment program for full on EV that after this experiance I'll be ready for full on EV, lol. And in alot of ways full on EV might be less work/headache.
Old 08-01-22, 10:52 PM
anoop
Intermediate

Yea I tell myself that I'm in a training regiment program for full on EV that after this experiance I'll be ready for full on EV, lol. And in alot of ways full on EV might be less work/headache.
I used to think EV is the future but given what it takes to make batteries and the inability of the grid to handle even the current load in many places make me wonder. In addition I have seen several people switch from electric back to gas because they decided they wanted better comfort and not need to worry about planning for long trips.
Old 08-02-22, 06:53 AM
midcow3
Racer

Received 567 Likes on 375 Posts
Lightbulb We don't have electric charging grid yet

The 450h+ is a great car and I would have like to have got it or even one on the new full EVs but we do not have the charging infrastructure but where in Houston, Texas yet. For the last Lexus I had, I spent around $3,000 to upgrade the audio and then another $150 to upgrade to HID lights. I wanted great integrated audio this time, ML, and some of the other features not available on the0h+. Early on, I found a 450h+ immediately available in CA in Redline, but it was pretty pricey even considering I would get $7,500 back in taxes. I think the out-the-door price was $75,000

Yes, I envy you guys with the 450h+ so a big congrats to all you 450h+ owners. Even though I don't always sound like it, I am fully on your side. Both the 450h+ and 350h are great NXs.

Peace and Good Will.

YMMV,
MidCow3
Old 08-02-22, 06:59 AM
Susido
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Back in March I still had a realistic opportunity to place an order for a 450h+ and receive it as a 2022 MY but I ended up ordering a 350h instead. The lack of available features on the plug-in hybrid like the panoramic sunroof, ML and a surprising number of other options really dissuaded me as did the lack of government rebate at the time (and maybe still currently on the high trim levels?). The extra cost and wait I was OK with. Since then I've become ever more convinced I made the right decision - worse highway mileage, the need to install a 220v outlet, getting the wife to remember to plug it in, the considerable added complexity, etc. etc.

Anyway, I pick up my new 350h executive package in about an hour. It's been about a 4 month wait, long enough to absorb just about all the information about it that's out there on the internet but not so long as to have spent all the money elsewhere...

Old 08-02-22, 07:04 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

I have a CT200h, on my second (last one got totaled from behind), and my vehicle is expected to get 40 mpg.

Things that I am aware of that will cause it go under 40 mpg from personal experience

1. Low tire pressure
2. Hot air outside (like now here in Miami, 90F+)
3. Running AC, this is the biggest killer of mpg and worse for hybrids, and can kill up to 8 mpg, generally 5 in hotter weather
4. Running 40 mph+, when you do not have to, I take it easy going on side streets like in the suburban area where I live and save anything more for highway where I have to go that speed
5. Bad alignment, not my CT200hs, but my RX300 had this issue when I lived in Mexico City and took a hard toll on alignment, luckily computer alignments only cost $15 USD there
6. Not being consistent on the accelerator, means if you are going down the road, keep the pedal steady on a given mph
The following users liked this post:
mggabin (08-06-22)
Old 08-02-22, 07:27 AM
raviola4
Pit Crew

Received 56 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by anoop
How big are your wheels and the OP's wheels? Also need to make sure we're talking the same gallon since you're in de. Is that Delaware or Germany?
Delaware. Trip to Virginia. 18” Wheels.

Quick Reply: 40+ mpg impossible without driving everyone around you crazy