Pit Crew

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts

I come home. Open the garage door. Plug in my 450h+. Where's the headache? 🤷‍♂️
Old 08-02-22, 08:10 AM
lsft
Racer

Received 600 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by anoop
The leather nowadays is pretty heavily treated so I don’t think it is as susceptible to cracking. The seats in my RDX still look new after 4 years. Vinyl also cracks — it’s worse than leather because leather stretches but vinyl doesn’t. After 10 years in my BMW with leatherette, there were several long cracks (think like a fold and tear) in the driver seat. I never had passengers much so all other seats were like new. Of course faux leather is probably more durable as well nowadays. (Remember all the cracked dashes in cars from the 80’s?)
I think it depends on how long you plan to keep the car. My experience is LEXUS leather seats don't last as long as the faux leather.
The following users liked this post:
ct6978 (08-02-22)
Old 08-02-22, 08:14 AM
anoop
Intermediate

Received 97 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Kusala
I come home. Open the garage door. Plug in my 450h+. Where's the headache? 🤷‍♂️
When you have to unplug before leaving.

You also have to have the cable sitting around (clutter) and make sure that it's reachable to the charging port. Can also become a tripping hazard. And then cost of installing level 2 charger. (I don't know enough about it to know if it can be used regardless of which EV comes in next, e.g. would the same charger be useful if one bought a Tesla next?)

OK not headaches, but better if one doesn't have to do any of that.
Old 08-02-22, 08:47 AM
Lrlaz
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

You also have to have the cable sitting around (clutter) and make sure that it's reachable to the charging port. Can also become a tripping hazard. And then cost of installing level 2 charger. (I don't know enough about it to know if it can be used regardless of which EV comes in next, e.g. would the same charger be useful if one bought a Tesla next?)

I have mine hanging from the garage ceiling near the charging port with a retractable spring line. Super easy to grab and plug in, or unplug it and it retracts back out of the way. Even my wife loves it.
anoop (08-02-22)
Old 08-02-22, 08:49 AM
anoop
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Lrlaz
I have mine hanging from the garage ceiling near the charging port with a retractable spring line. Super easy to grab and plug in, or unplug it and it retracts back out of the way. Even my wife loves it.
Can you send a link or post a picture of what it looks like?
Old 08-02-22, 08:53 AM
Lrlaz
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Can you send a link or post a picture of what it looks like?
I'm at work right now but will post a picture later today.
ct6978 (08-02-22)
Old 08-02-22, 09:00 AM
anoop
Intermediate

I'm at work right now but will post a picture later today.
I can't wait. Any chance you can take the day off?

(Just kidding.)
Old 08-02-22, 09:40 AM
lsft
Racer

Originally Posted by darkloki
You know to be 100% honest with you I think you have something even better, you have less headache. I mean for me because my wife forked over the additional 20 thousand or so for the plug in, I have to pretty much make sure the battery is alwys full because if I let it drain and drive on empty EV battery the effiency is so bad I should have just gone with yours the 350h
Why is the efficiency bad on an empty EV battery? The NX 350H is rated at 39 MPG combined, while the NX450H is 36 MPG combined. For every gallon, the NX350H drives 3 extra miles.
So the 37 miles of EV range, compensates the delta of 12.3 gallons of gasoline. So if you drive 39 miles * 12.3 gallons of gas it will be 479.7 miles.

So if I drive 479.7 miles on a day, the NX350h will use 12.3 gallons of gas. The NX450h+ will use (479.7-37=442.7 / 36) will use 12.3 gallons of gas. Of course there is a cost to charge the battery.. So just rounding down to 400 miles as a number, I don't think many of us will drive 400 miles a day everyday.
Old 08-02-22, 09:56 AM
midcow3
Racer

Received 567 Likes on 375 Posts
Default Yeah finally!

Originally Posted by lsft
Why is the efficiency bad on an empty EV battery? The NX 350H is rated at 39 MPG combined, while the NX450H is 36 MPG combined. For every gallon, the NX350H drives 3 extra miles.
So the 37 miles of EV range, compensates the delta of 12.3 gallons of gasoline. So if you drive 39 miles * 12.3 gallons of gas it will be 479.7 miles.

So if I drive 479.7 miles on a day, the NX350h will use 12.3 gallons of gas. The NX450h+ will use (479.7-37=442.7 / 36) will use 12.3 gallons of gas. Of course there is a cost to charge the battery.. So just rounding down to 400 miles as a number, I don't think many of us will drive 400 miles a day everyday.
So, on long vacation trips the 350h is better. I knew there was a reason I bought the 350h ... besides listening to superb audio

YMMV,
MidCow3
Old 08-02-22, 10:08 AM
Kusala
Pit Crew

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts

I have a disability and have as much concern about tripping over the cable as I do my garden hose. lol - but yeah don't be a rush to leave without unplugging

Fortunately I don't need need a level 2 charger. Tesla use a proprietary charger.

Old 08-02-22, 10:27 AM
dklanecky1
Intermediate

Received 136 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by LiBeRtAs
33-36 depending on whether they are hot or cold.

33 cold seems low to me, what does the sticker on the door say it's supposed to be?

3lbs doesn't sound like much but it's 10% and could make a difference in your MPG?
Old 08-02-22, 10:49 AM
darkloki
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
I have a CT200h, on my second (last one got totaled from behind), and my vehicle is expected to get 40 mpg.

Things that I am aware of that will cause it go under 40 mpg from personal experience

1. Low tire pressure
2. Hot air outside (like now here in Miami, 90F+)
3. Running AC, this is the biggest killer of mpg and worse for hybrids, and can kill up to 8 mpg, generally 5 in hotter weather
4. Running 40 mph+, when you do not have to, I take it easy going on side streets like in the suburban area where I live and save anything more for highway where I have to go that speed
5. Bad alignment, not my CT200hs, but my RX300 had this issue when I lived in Mexico City and took a hard toll on alignment, luckily computer alignments only cost $15 USD there
6. Not being consistent on the accelerator, means if you are going down the road, keep the pedal steady on a given mph
Thank You for this, as it's very good information. I love my NX 450+ and I primairly got it becuase everyone around me has a Tesla Model Y (Irvine California) and after witnissing first hand an 8 hour Vegas Drive (Traffic and Charging Traffic) I told myself I would never get Full on EV until either the infastructure improves or I either had a PHEV or ICE SUV as a secondary. My other two cars are Two Toyota Supra's so yea very unpractical, the 450+ added a huge dose of practicality into the mix. Plus I wanted a car that I could go snowboarding with, while a Tesla can go snowboarding it's a huge hassle to take them on roadtrips especailly into remote areas where I often go.
Old 08-02-22, 11:16 AM
lsft
Racer

Originally Posted by midcow3
So, on long vacation trips the 350h is better. I knew there was a reason I bought the 350h ... besides listening to superb audio

YMMV,
MidCow3
If you can charge at night, then it will be still ok with the 450h+. It's not that much more and you really have to drive 400+ miles to break even.
ct6978 (08-02-22)
Old 08-02-22, 11:28 AM
ct6978
Intermediate

Received 171 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by lsft
I think it depends on how long you plan to keep the car. My experience is LEXUS leather seats don't last as long as the faux leather.
I've had the same experience. Plus I obsess more about and tend to clean/treat (even though its fully coated and I doubt I'm doing anything) my leather seats vs. the wife's NuLuxe, and I don't see the permanent creases developing in the NuLuxe like the leather. NuLuxe is also lighter than the equivalent leather. I haven't seen any issues with recent NuLuxe cars, I'm now a convert.
Old 08-02-22, 11:30 AM
ct6978
Intermediate

Received 171 Likes on 100 Posts

I've been thinking about doing this, easier than getting my wife to 'optimally' coil and uncoil the wire. Picture, please!

Quick Reply: 40+ mpg impossible without driving everyone around you crazy