NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

40+ mpg impossible without driving everyone around you crazy

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-22, 11:32 AM
ct6978
Intermediate

Received 171 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by lsft
If you can charge at night, then it will be still ok with the 450h+. It's not that much more and you really have to drive 400+ miles to break even.
I've even found a few free or low cost Level 2 chargers at hotels or near destinations I've been going for a bit of extra juice at night...although they're probably only building fast chargers going forward.
The following users liked this post:
lsft (08-02-22)
Old 08-02-22, 11:35 AM
darkloki
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

If you can charge at night, then it will be still ok with the 450h+. It's not that much more and you really have to drive 400+ miles to break even.
Obviously I know that if you charge at home it's easy and simple but again on average to install a 220 in the home is roughly $1200 dollars. Well for me specfically I have a Quick Charger .25 miles from my home at 20 some cents per kwh so I've been using that.
lsft (08-02-22)
Old 08-02-22, 11:38 AM
ct6978
Intermediate

And if you have solar with excess production capacity, every EV mile driven from home charging is free (already sunk costs on the solar) so our actual gasoline spending with this car has gone way, way, down. I didn't expect to appreciate the car as much as I do.
lsft (08-02-22)
Old 08-02-22, 11:57 AM
eric8954
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LiBeRtAs
Sorry, but I do not see how to get even near 40 without coasting when everyone around you is accelerating, without having the lowest acceleration from stop setting that everyone behind you will be all over your ***, etc.

I am not in a hurry, and I am willing to drive very conservatively to achieve this goal, but it’s nerve-racking because of everyone around me.

I saw one person posting that 95% of their driving was EV, I don’t know how that’s possible either.

Having said all that I do love this car!
My observation on 350H luxury with 20in RFTs..

If ACC is used on highways (75mph+), EV mode almost never kick in on relatively flat Kansas highways making 30~35 MPG in eco mode.
Even without ACC if the speed is high, 75+, I was able to do a little better but not by much.

If you drive with gentle foot on regular roads, urban areas, or even on highways with lower speeds (50~65) I can get high 30~40+ relatively easily.

I also originally thought something is wrong with the car but I guess it all depends on where and how the car is driven.
It turns out that it is norm for RAV4 hybrids to get below 35 on high speed highway journeys as well. Link

I just decided not to get stressed about it and enjoy the car. It is gorgeous and it will last for sure.
Old 08-02-22, 12:00 PM
anoop
Intermediate

Received 97 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by ct6978
I've had the same experience. Plus I obsess more about and tend to clean/treat (even though its fully coated and I doubt I'm doing anything) my leather seats vs. the wife's NuLuxe, and I don't see the permanent creases developing in the NuLuxe like the leather. NuLuxe is also lighter than the equivalent leather. I haven't seen any issues with recent NuLuxe cars, I'm now a convert.
But if someone cares about features in the luxury pack (e.g. 4 way lumbar), then there's no choice, right? And vice versa -- if you want 18" wheels, you're stuck with NuLuxe.
Old 08-02-22, 12:58 PM
ct6978
Intermediate

Originally Posted by anoop
But if someone cares about features in the luxury pack (e.g. 4 way lumbar), then there's no choice, right? And vice versa -- if you want 18" wheels, you're stuck with NuLuxe.
Unfortunately Lexus really limits the options/combos you can actually decide on....and add to that the pandemic and even minor choices are now gone. You have to decide on which balance of things works best for you and go with it. You may also find that some things don't matter in the longer term. I love the ML stereo in my car (RCF) and really, really, wanted it in the NX, but since it is my wife's car, and I when I'm driving it she's usually also in it, I don't play my music the same way I do when alone (or even at all), so practically it doesn't matter...and the other upsides of the car outweigh what's missing for us.

Wheels you can change out later....
Old 08-02-22, 12:59 PM
anoop
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ct6978
Wheels you can change out later....
Indeed, but at an added hassle and expense after paying an arm and leg for the car to begin with!
ct6978 (08-02-22)
Old 08-02-22, 01:01 PM
ct6978
Intermediate

Originally Posted by eric8954

If ACC is used on highways (75mph+), EV mode almost never kick in on relatively flat Kansas highways making 30~35 MPG in eco mode.
Even without ACC if the speed is high, 75+, I was able to do a little better but not by much.

If you drive with gentle foot on regular roads, urban areas, or even on highways with lower speeds (50~65) I can get high 30~40+ relatively easily.

I also originally thought something is wrong with the car but I guess it all depends on where and how the car is driven.
It turns out that it is norm for RAV4 hybrids to get below 35 on high speed highway journeys as well. Link

I just decided not to get stressed about it and enjoy the car. It is gorgeous and it will last for sure.
Everyone has a unique right foot......and different roads, travel times, traffic, priorities, etc, so chances are YMMV. Enjoying the car is great advice...that enjoyment can even include maximizing your mpg, EV range, or whatever.
Old 08-02-22, 05:51 PM
Lrlaz
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Can you send a link or post a picture of what it looks like?

Here's my setup. I've had it for almost two months now with no issues. Absolutely Love it!
The following 3 users liked this post by Lrlaz:
anoop (08-02-22), ct6978 (08-02-22), lsft (08-02-22)
Old 08-02-22, 07:53 PM
lsft
Racer

Received 600 Likes on 403 Posts

Indeed, but at an added hassle and expense after paying an arm and leg for the car to begin with!
The tires are wear and tear. You'll have to replace them one day. Rft or not???
Old 08-02-22, 07:57 PM
lsft
Racer

Originally Posted by eric8954

Hybrids are always better in city driving over highway driving. This generation hybrid is better than the previous gen as you can still run on EV at highway speeds. But the small battery in the 350H limits the EV at 75 miles per hr. If you look at the EPA rating the mpg for city is better than highway
Old 08-02-22, 08:02 PM
anoop
Intermediate

Context is everything -- this was about buying a car with luxury pack and switching out the 20" for 18".
Old 08-02-22, 08:15 PM
midcow3
Racer

Received 567 Likes on 375 Posts
Lightbulb eBay has some used 18" NX wheels

Context is everything -- this was about buying a car with luxury pack and switching out the 20" for 18".
eBay currently has some used 18" NX wheels for $199 each. Don't think any dealer is going to swap you wheels. Then you could sell your 20" NX wheels. 18" wheels don't seem to show up on Lexus parts sites yet.

Good Luck

MidCow3

P.S. - I truly believe @lsft was just trying to help.

Last edited by midcow3; 08-02-22 at 08:24 PM. Reason: added @lsft quotr for clarity
Old 08-02-22, 08:15 PM
lsft
Racer

Why not keep 20" with regular tires?
Old 08-02-22, 08:20 PM
anoop
Intermediate

Why not keep 20" with regular tires?
I'm planning to keep it stock. The discussion was a hypothetical one because of the way Lexus packages things. I'm all about comfort so the 18" would work best for me, but I also want the Luxury pack so it looks like I have to live with the 20".

Quick Reply: 40+ mpg impossible without driving everyone around you crazy