NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Sport v. Sport+

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-22, 06:30 PM
Driver School Candidate

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Sport v. Sport+

Can anyone point me to a detailed explanation of the difference between Sport and Sport+ drive modes in the F-Sport? Intuitively, it feels like Sport only affects shift points, while Sport+ also stiffens steering response. I'd like to learn more though and the manual (I'm a manual reader!) has no detail at all. I'd also like to better understand what "adaptive variable suspension" actually means - what's changing in the car?.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-09-22, 03:55 PM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

Easier if you just google AVS, lots of info out there.

Sport mode changes the gauge cluster, changes the shift points, and has slightly faster shifts. Sport + will also tighten up the steering and stiffen the adaptive dampers.

At least that is my understanding.

I rarely use either as I usually use eco mode as it's not as touchy when driving....and my wife likes that! Say no more!
Old 08-10-22, 11:51 AM
darkloki
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm the same way I never drive the car in sport, I mean I have a Supra to do that, so this guy just stays in ECO mode I have yet to use the padel shifters. I might try it out some time.
Old 08-12-22, 08:55 AM
SocalBiker
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For me Sport when in HV mode, sport + when I know I'll be hitting some curves
Old 08-12-22, 12:00 PM
scooky
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

Seems like your not going to get a great answer.
I can't speak for NX, but I had an RC until recently.

I noticed subtle differences between sport and sport+. Didn't use it enough to really learn.
Like you said shift points mostly. Also downshifts more aggressively which was nice when it worked.
I recall the RC also increased engine noise. There was a pipe of some sort that sound could be heard or muffled. Was also subtle. Would have been nice to get some roar in S+.
Suspension was great overall in the RC, but I didn't notice much difference between the settings. I might not have pushed it hard enough...

I felt like F-Sport was mostly visual/comfort, somewhat suspension, no performance. (I really liked the F-Sport seats in the RC, wish I could get that much bolstering in the NX)
Some models are starting to get some F-Sport performance improvements which could be nice.
Old 08-12-22, 09:42 PM
ct6978
Intermediate

Received 171 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by 907
Can anyone point me to a detailed explanation of the difference between Sport and Sport+ drive modes in the F-Sport? Intuitively, it feels like Sport only affects shift points, while Sport+ also stiffens steering response. I'd like to learn more though and the manual (I'm a manual reader!) has no detail at all. I'd also like to better understand what "adaptive variable suspension" actually means - what's changing in the car?.

Thanks in advance.
If you go into the settings, Vehicle Customization, Drive Mode (or something like that) you'll see options for 'Custom' drive mode. That tells you what options the car has for Drivetrain, Steering, Suspension (AVS), and HVAC. You'll see you generally only have Eco, Normal, and Sport. I think the NX suspension settings are similar to the RC/RCF and believe the difference between Sport and Sport+ are more aggressive drivetrain and AVS gets stiffer in Sport+. You can try both and see the revs (HV mode) in both. In EV mode, you'll see a difference in regenerative braking from Normal to Sport...there's also an overall responsiveness/potential power difference that I notice when shifting up from Eco to Normal to Sport to Sport+...Try switching through modes while cruising at highway speeds (with the accel pedal depressed, don't lift), while accelerating, and while going downhill. You'll feel the drivetrain differences.

AVS continuously adjusts the shocks' damping force depending on road conditions vs. a fixed shock that has only 1 setting. When you switch to Sport or Sport+ (or Custom if you set Custom to Sport) the AVS adjusts more aggressively...you should notice a slightly stiffer suspension. I had a 2015 RCF without AVS and a 2018 with AVS and much preferred the 2018 both regular driving (more comfortable over rough roads) and in spirited driving.

On the RCF, I believe Sport mode used the 'Regular' setting for AVS, while Sport+ used the 'Stiffer' setting. I didn't use Sport+ too often for regular driving but often wanted the stiffer suspension, so set my custom mode to be Sport engine/tranny and Sport+ (Stiffer) AVS. Use Custom mode to try out different settings varying one at a time to figure out what you like. You can also switch which console display shows for each mode.

Last edited by ct6978; 08-16-22 at 09:28 PM.