NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

The 2022 NX and Theft

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-22, 09:58 AM
darkloki
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Glad I live in a Neighborhood where this doesn't happen. For some reason driving a Lexus in this neighborhood is average as luxury brand first tier cars are the average here. To be above average its like Bentley, 911 Special Editions and Ferraris, Mclaren etc. I haven't heard of car theft in a while here mostly just package theft so I have yet to be worried about it, but I do lose sleep at times over my 94 Supra due to it's age and lack of anti-theft.
Old 08-11-22, 02:19 AM
Intermediate

Received 116 Likes on 92 Posts

Your car is constantly sending a signal out looking for the key. A relay hack exploits this.

Google EvanConnect . For 10-15K anyone with a bit of cash can steal your car.

Disable "Access System with Elec. Key" in your door lock settings ( Vehicle customization) and press save.

You lose the door handle touch lock / unlock feature and will have to manually unlock and lock the car with the fob.

Big deal.

The inconvenience is a small price to pay for piece of mind.
The following users liked this post:
RX469 (11-07-22)
Old 08-11-22, 08:10 AM
LStoneX
Intermediate

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by 909
Your car is constantly sending a signal out looking for the key. A relay hack exploits this.

Google EvanConnect . For 10-15K anyone with a bit of cash can steal your car.

Disable "Access System with Elec. Key" in your door lock settings ( Vehicle customization) and press save.

You lose the door handle touch lock / unlock feature and will have to manually unlock and lock the car with the fob.

Big deal.

The inconvenience is a small price to pay for piece of mind.
Or get a Faraday pouch/box for your fobs when you're not using them and still enjoy keyless entry.😁😜
Old 08-11-22, 10:36 PM
xcoreflyup
Rookie

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Faraday pouch works! My 350H doesnt sense the key unless i take it out of the pouch, for both starting and unlocking doors. $14 bucks for 2. Quite a steal imo
LStoneX (08-11-22)
Old 08-19-22, 07:55 PM
Intermediate

Received 116 Likes on 92 Posts

Sure .

Pull a key out of a pouch every time

or

Press a button
PrimeDave (11-14-22)
Old 08-19-22, 08:18 PM
anoop
Intermediate

Received 97 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by CRC99
I imagine the new NX is going to be a big target for thieves. Lexus has provided a few ways of getting into the car.
-physical key
-key fob
-key card
-phone
Anyone thought of ways of dealing with this?
Are all methods enabled by default or can one just stick to the first two?
Old 08-20-22, 08:59 AM
Jggy993
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xcoreflyup
I just ordered a Faraday pouch. $14 for a pack of 2 with free shipping on Amazon right now. Its a good insurance.
have a link? There are endless choices.
Old 08-20-22, 11:33 AM
midcow3
Racer

Received 543 Likes on 357 Posts
Lightbulb Amazon Faraday Bag

Originally Posted by Jggy993
have a link? There are endless choices.
Amazon Amazon

YMMV,
MidCow3
Old 08-20-22, 04:40 PM
Susido
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I tested the Faraday box I bought on Amazon by bringing the box with fobs enclosed outside and trying to open the locked doors and start the vehicle. It was 100% effective on the NX350h, no way to open the door or start the engine. On the other hand. it seemed 100% ineffective for my F150. Even with the truck fob 10 feet away and shut in the box, I could fully operate it. So evidently there's a big difference for fobs of different manufacturers.
Old 08-20-22, 05:12 PM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

If someone is talented enough and have time, they will get your vehicle regardless of what is has protecting it. Your best bet is full replacement insurance for your vehicle with no loss to you. My policy will replace my vehicle with a new one for 5 years, brand new. The first year I pay $26/year, second a bit more, third bit more, don't know after that. Lucky I have never had a car stolen....touch wood!
geomike (08-21-22)
Old 08-20-22, 05:31 PM
midcow3
Racer

Exclamation Faulty Faraday box/sleeve

Originally Posted by Susido
I tested the Faraday box I bought on Amazon by bringing the box with fobs enclosed outside and trying to open the locked doors and start the vehicle. It was 100% effective on the NX350h, no way to open the door or start the engine. On the other hand. it seemed 100% ineffective for my F150. Even with the truck fob 10 feet away and shut in the box, I could fully operate it. So evidently there's a big difference for fobs of different manufacturers.
A "Faraday box" is an electrical phenomena and it always works. Actually what a "Faraday box" is "COMPLETELY" surrounding the items to be protected with metal, The metal blocks EMF transmission. One example is a cube with metal on all six sides with no gaps. No gaps is the key if you have a wannabe Faraday sleeve/box and there is even the slightest opening or gap the Faraday box will not be 100% effective.

If it doesn't work in your F150 then I suggest you do not have a fully enclosed Faraday box/sleeve with no gaps or cracks or openings. You might want to buy a more expensive or better quality Faraday box. But before you do, you can create a simple Faraday box by wrapping your key fox or digital key or phone in Reynold's wrap aluminum foil. If the Aluminum foil works, which it should, then it proves your Faraday box id not good.

YMMV,
MidCow3

Old 08-20-22, 05:37 PM
midcow3
Racer

Question Car theft replacement

Originally Posted by FastFord
If someone is talented enough and have time, they will get your vehicle regardless of what is has protecting it. Your best bet is full replacement insurance for your vehicle with no loss to you. My policy will replace my vehicle with a new one for 5 years, brand new. The first year I pay $26/year, second a bit more, third bit more, don't know after that. Lucky I have never had a car stolen....touch wood!
@FastFord , that sounds too good to be true. I would carefully look at the exclusions in your policy. Insurance companies don't provide insurance to lose money and If they stole your $52,000 Lexus NX then they would be paying you 2000 times the cost of your insurance premium

YMMV,
MidCow3
FastFord (08-21-22)
Old 08-21-22, 08:19 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by midcow3
@FastFord , that sounds too good to be true. I would carefully look at the exclusions in your policy. Insurance companies don't provide insurance to lose money and If they stole your $52,000 Lexus NX then they would be paying you 2000 times the cost of your insurance premium

YMMV,
MidCow3
Hey thanks for the heads up, but the policy clearly states that a full replacement of a new vehicle for up to 5 years. Plus I did verify it with an additional email. Like you, hard to believe, but not really. This is a special offering to the company I worked for years ago, and it carries on when you retire. They signed up 50k people, so good for them. Been with them for 40 years.
I have been over this with them as occasionally I lease a vehicle, then it's a different story. They just put you in another lease for the term you signed up for. They take care of paying it out to the leasing company. They also send out cheques at the end of most years if there profits were too high. I got $145.00 last year so my net cost was only $645. They do not offer insurance to individuals, it's strictly a corporate thing. Teachers Unions, Military, Large Telcos, City employees, Federal employees, etc.

We all want our vehicles safe and hopefully none of us have to deal with something like this. Fingers crossed, garage door closed, dogs on high alert !
Old 08-21-22, 02:01 PM
Susido
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by midcow3
A "Faraday box" is an electrical phenomena and it always works. Actually what a "Faraday box" is "COMPLETELY" surrounding the items to be protected with metal, The metal blocks EMF transmission. One example is a cube with metal on all six sides with no gaps. No gaps is the key if you have a wannabe Faraday sleeve/box and there is even the slightest opening or gap the Faraday box will not be 100% effective.

If it doesn't work in your F150 then I suggest you do not have a fully enclosed Faraday box/sleeve with no gaps or cracks or openings. You might want to buy a more expensive or better quality Faraday box. But before you do, you can create a simple Faraday box by wrapping your key fox or digital key or phone in Reynold's wrap aluminum foil. If the Aluminum foil works, which it should, then it proves your Faraday box id not good.

YMMV,
MidCow3
Well you motivated me to test it once again - and the results are identical. I bought a relatively expensive large Faraday box and I know how to close the lid. In fact that lid is a bit of pain to pry open. It works exactly as it should on the Lexus and does not work at all on the F150 (well it does have to be within 10' or so - perhaps good enough to defeat a relay attempt) . All 5 sets of keys (3 Lexus, 2 Ford) are in that same box and the lid is equally closed. There lots of reviews on amazon of boxes that work well for some and not for others. My result strongly indicate that can be partially or primarily attributed to vehicle manufacturer rather than box quality or user error.

Last edited by Susido; 08-21-22 at 02:05 PM.
Old 08-21-22, 02:35 PM
midcow3
Racer

Lightbulb Strong Ford RF signal

Originally Posted by Susido
Well you motivated me to test it once again - and the results are identical. I bought a relatively expensive large Faraday box and I know how to close the lid. In fact that lid is a bit of pain to pry open. It works exactly as it should on the Lexus and does not work at all on the F150 (well it does have to be within 10' or so - perhaps good enough to defeat a relay attempt) . All 5 sets of keys (3 Lexus, 2 Ford) are in that same box and the lid is equally closed. There lots of reviews on amazon of boxes that work well for some and not for others. My result strongly indicate that can be partially or primarily attributed to vehicle manufacturer rather than box quality or user error.
@Susido First, thanks for the research. Apparently Ford uses a very strong RF transmission signal and although the Faraday cage attenuates the signal, there is still enough left to interact with the F-150. Lexus signal must not be as strong.

One other quick thing to try on the F150 , put it in 2 Faraday sleeves, one inside the other. If that stops it then the issue is the strong signal from the Ford key.

Peace and Good Will

YMMV,,
MidCow3

Quick Reply: The 2022 NX and Theft