NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

The 2022 NX and Theft

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-22, 12:07 PM
Ryko
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by CRC99
I imagine the new NX is going to be a big target for thieves. Lexus has provided a few ways of getting into the car.
-physical key
-key fob
-key card
-phone
Anyone thought of ways of dealing with this?
I have a simple solution for this. I had a faraday pouch and it got annoying over time having to pull out my key fob out of the pouch.

Just turn off the signal from your key fob when you park and lock the car.

Step 1. Press and hold down on the lock button.
Step 2. While holding down the lock button, double click the unlock button.

You will see the red light on your key fob flash for a couple of seconds, when you see this the signal will no longer be coming out of your key fob, and it can't be used for keyless entry anymore (try opening your door after you do this). To activate that signal once again, simply press unlock on the key fob.
The following users liked this post:
Uspeed (01-24-23)
Old 08-25-22, 01:56 PM
LiBeRtAs
Advanced

Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by CRC99
I imagine the new NX is going to be a big target for thieves. Lexus has provided a few ways of getting into the car.
-physical key
-key fob
-key card
-phone
Anyone thought of ways of dealing with this?
This faraday bag is a new thing to me and what I’m wondering is if the car is 10 miles from the key fob (or two or one or 100 etc.) there’s no need for the bag, right they would not be able to hack the key because of the distance of the key to the car?
Old 08-29-22, 01:51 PM
LiBeRtAs
Advanced

Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryko
I have a simple solution for this. I had a faraday pouch and it got annoying over time having to pull out my key fob out of the pouch.

Just turn off the signal from your key fob when you park and lock the car.

Step 1. Press and hold down on the lock button.
Step 2. While holding down the lock button, double click the unlock button.

You will see the red light on your key fob flash for a couple of seconds, when you see this the signal will no longer be coming out of your key fob, and it can't be used for keyless entry anymore (try opening your door after you do this). To activate that signal once again, simply press unlock on the key fob.
Is this a non issue if the key fob and car are miles apart?
Old 08-31-22, 08:04 AM
NX450h
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by genadi
Got my NX 450h about three weeks ago.

Yesterday, I took my car to the dealership for its first service and spoke to the service manager. Basically, I was asking the same questions about theft, faraday boxes, scanners etc. he said that new NX and other new models come with new key fobs that make it more difficult to steal. They have new encryption with rolling codes when each time key fob and your vehicle initiated contact, encryption keys are rolled and previously scanned key to open the door will not work when you try to start the car. You must have a key fob with you with new authentication codes. Now, the weak link of course, once a thief gained access to your car, he can use a computer to connect to obd port and to program his key fob…
Also, some new computers can be used to unlock the without even having a key fob. So, faraday pouches are not useful in such cases. It’s a brave new world…
I think, the best we can do is to make the process of stealing the car more difficult. These are fairly inexpensive solutions will likely dissuade a thief from trying to steal your car. Start form purchasing faraday box/pouch, installing obd port locks or, fake/dummy obd devices with tamper alarm, installing second alarms with immobilizers, good old mechanical solutions like steering wheel lock, pedal lock, mechanical immobilizer switch.

Here is inexpensive and cool dummy obd with a siren.
https://www.dummyobd.com
Just fyi from what your dealer said it sounds like he doesn’t understand how the attack works. The way the the thieves work is that they have a box that basically amplifies and relays the signal from your key fob that is stored in your house to the car in your drive. Having unique rolling codes won’t help, its not they they are recording old codes, the box simply transmits whatever the new code is from the fob each time. This is why you need a faraday pouch/box to protect your keys.
Old 08-31-22, 08:32 AM
genadi
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by NX450h
Just fyi from what your dealer said it sounds like he doesn’t understand how the attack works. The way the the thieves work is that they have a box that basically amplifies and relays the signal from your key fob that is stored in your house to the car in your drive. Having unique rolling codes won’t help, its not they they are recording old codes, the box simply transmits whatever the new code is from the fob each time. This is why you need a faraday pouch/box to protect your keys.
Not disputing this. I think he was saying that before once codes are recoded, you could use the same code to open and to start the car. With rolling codes, you need to record the code to open and, THEN you need a key fob inside the car to use new code. So, things got more difficult for thieves but, to get around this, they started using computers and to reprogram the car through obd2 port.
Old 11-06-22, 05:48 PM
albundy999
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Could anyone recommend a keyless steering wheel lock for nx350h? If there is no keyless option on the steering wheel lock, that is fine as well. Thank you in advance.
Old 11-06-22, 06:05 PM
genadi
Driver

Originally Posted by albundy999
Could anyone recommend a keyless steering wheel lock for nx350h? If there is no keyless option on the steering wheel lock, that is fine as well. Thank you in advance.

I bought Disklock small size. Link below:
Amazon Amazon
The following users liked this post:
Charlex (07-09-23)
Old 11-06-22, 06:21 PM
Kenasch
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Wouldn't the Lexus app be just as good as an air tag? The app tells me where the car is located so if it is stolen I can locate it. Maybe the app is not as accurate and precise as an air tag?
Old 11-06-22, 06:26 PM
albundy999
Pit Crew

Dealership said it will cost $1000 to purchase immobilizer from them, is it still necessary even with a functional Faraday pouch?

Last edited by albundy999; 11-06-22 at 06:34 PM.
Old 11-06-22, 06:32 PM
albundy999
Pit Crew

I bought Disklock small size. Link below:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06XS...13NParams&th=1
Thanks for the link. It is a bit pricey at approx. $200, but it's for a piece of mind.

Only other concerns are from the reviews which I'm not sure what happen for both situations:
1) Unfortunately, over a 7-day trip and installing it every night, the morning became rather worrisome when I have to struggle to unlock it. 10 to 15 minutes of pure panic is a bit much. This did not happen every time, but it was enough to cause some stress.

2) Defective lock
Old 11-06-22, 06:54 PM
genadi
Driver

Thanks for the link. It is a bit pricey at approx. $200, but it's for a piece of mind.

Only other concerns are from the reviews which I'm not sure what happen for both situations:
1) Unfortunately, over a 7-day trip and installing it every night, the morning became rather worrisome when I have to struggle to unlock it. 10 to 15 minutes of pure panic is a bit much. This did not happen every time, but it was enough to cause some stress.

2) Defective lock
Some people get it some don’t. My wife struggled once until I sat her down and showed how this lock works… after that she has no problems. This lock has shifting independent cylinders that can be moved from vertical alignment. The focus is to be careful and to try not to spin the key before you fully insert it. And, if you did that, just carefully rotate the key pushing it down while rotating. This is a security feature that makes it difficult to pick the lock. Same system is in my Kryptonite bike lock.
It’s pricey but, IMHO it’s far more secure than second best rated Stoplok, link below.
Amazon Amazon

Old 11-06-22, 07:19 PM
albundy999
Pit Crew

Some people get it some don’t. My wife struggled once until I sat her down and showed how this lock works… after that she has no problems. This lock has shifting independent cylinders that can be moved from vertical alignment. The focus is to be careful and to try not to spin the key before you fully insert it. And, if you did that, just carefully rotate the key pushing it down while rotating. This is a security feature that makes it difficult to pick the lock. Same system is in my Kryptonite bike lock.
It’s pricey but, IMHO it’s far more secure than second best rated Stoplok, link below.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003S...1GJZM3EQ&psc=1
Thanks again for the link. Curious though, is it better off just to spend a few hundred dollars more for the engine immobilizer instead?
Old 11-06-22, 07:45 PM
genadi
Driver

Thanks again for the link. Curious though, is it better off just to spend a few hundred dollars more for the engine immobilizer instead?
It’s up to you but, I have both and more. It’s always better to have multiple layers of security.
Old 11-07-22, 08:08 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

I mentioned it before, but most insurance companies, at least in Ontario, offer full replacement for a certain number of years. There is no catch, not some close replacement, a new car.

It is not expensive, I just paid $26.00 extra for this year starting Nov 2022-Nov 2023.

Earlier in the thread midcow3 questioned this, so I checked again as it had been years, and checked again when I picked up my RX, all good!

Doesn't hurt to have additional tools to protect your vehicle but check with your insurance carrier.

Cheers
Old 11-07-22, 09:42 AM
LStoneX
Intermediate

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by FastFord
I mentioned it before, but most insurance companies, at least in Ontario, offer full replacement for a certain number of years. There is no catch, not some close replacement, a new car.

It is not expensive, I just paid $26.00 extra for this year starting Nov 2022-Nov 2023.

Earlier in the thread midcow3 questioned this, so I checked again as it had been years, and checked again when I picked up my RX, all good!

Doesn't hurt to have additional tools to protect your vehicle but check with your insurance carrier.

Cheers
Y'all have decent insurance in Ontario. In BC, we're at the mercy of ICBC a.k.a. govt cash cow🤣 plus whatever additional private insurance you decide to get. My gap insurance is like $2600 and it's full replacent for up to 6 years.

Quick Reply: The 2022 NX and Theft