NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

The 2022 NX and Theft

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-22, 09:54 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by LStoneX
Y'all have decent insurance in Ontario. In BC, we're at the mercy of ICBC a.k.a. govt cash cow🤣 plus whatever additional private insurance you decide to get. My gap insurance is like $2600 and it's full replacent for up to 6 years.
Remind me just to visit BC, ouch. Not even going to tell you what I pay, might make you sick!

Cheers
Old 11-07-22, 01:11 PM
MTL2022
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

The new Lexus key fob has a really shorter rang of operation, therefore It's the 1st step in the right direction, also look like they are now using the rolling keys code so it will make it harder for the theft. But an "OBD port lock", "TAG system", "Air Tag", "Samsung Tag" are you best friends
The following users liked this post:
FastFord (11-07-22)
Old 11-07-22, 02:31 PM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by MTL2022
The new Lexus key fob has a really shorter rang of operation, therefore It's the 1st step in the right direction, also look like they are now using the rolling keys code so it will make it harder for the theft. But an "OBD port lock", "TAG system", "Air Tag", "Samsung Tag" are you best friends
I didn't know that! I just thought it was the battery or something. Good to know.
Old 11-08-22, 07:33 AM
albundy999
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by genadi
It’s up to you but, I have both and more. It’s always better to have multiple layers of security.
I agree. Is there any vulnerabilities with engine immobilizer? Can the car still be started from ODB port reprogramming even with engine immobilizer?

Other than that, towing is the last resort for the thief.
Old 11-08-22, 08:34 AM
genadi
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by albundy999
I agree. Is there any vulnerabilities with engine immobilizer? Can the car still be started from ODB port reprogramming even with engine immobilizer?

Other than that, towing is the last resort for the thief.
You can install fake obd port and obd port lock over it. Or, one of them. Immobilizer from Lexus probably is not the best idea since it is know to thieves and methods to defeat it. There are some very good aftermarket solutions like Ghost or Masterguard. Can be just mechanical kill switch or, some inexpensive alarm with immobilizer.
I would allocate a budget and, speak to a reputable car security shop.
There is no one solution, it’s all about layering and prevention. Like park in well lit areas, garage, steering wheel lock, never give your remote to repair or service shops with a physical key, always take it out before etc

Last edited by genadi; 11-08-22 at 08:39 AM.
Old 11-08-22, 09:29 AM
StraySheep
Pit Crew

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by genadi
You can install fake obd port and obd port lock over it. Or, one of them. Immobilizer from Lexus probably is not the best idea since it is know to thieves and methods to defeat it. There are some very good aftermarket solutions like Ghost or Masterguard. Can be just mechanical kill switch or, some inexpensive alarm with immobilizer.
I would allocate a budget and, speak to a reputable car security shop.
There is no one solution, it’s all about layering and prevention. Like park in well lit areas, garage, steering wheel lock, never give your remote to repair or service shops with a physical key, always take it out before etc
I have been looking and researching Autowatch Ghost II. But worry that with all the electrical systems and potential future software updates, the "Ghost II" immobilizer might give me future problems and warranty issue for the vehicle.

I don't want to be the first NX owner to test Ghost II immobilizer. If anyone has experience with this product, appreciate if you can share the experiences and issues.
Old 11-08-22, 03:01 PM
albundy999
Pit Crew

Are there any report that nx350h model was stolen by any means other than getting towed?
Old 11-11-22, 03:47 AM
SenorValas
Driver

Received 56 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by MTL2022
I have been researching the usefulness of the various "tags" that are on the market so as to provide some method (albeit a relatively low-tech and cheap method) of tracking the car. I have a secure garage where the car is housed overnight but would like the extra reassurance of being able to pinpoint the car should it get stolen from elsewhere.

Are these tags really any good for tracking in real-time? I have seen conflicting reviews of these devices on YouTube and wondered if anyone on here had some experiences to share. I have a Samsung phone so would probably be more interested in the Samsung SmartTag.

Thanks.
Old 11-11-22, 12:00 PM
albundy999
Pit Crew

Does anyone know if NX350H would lock automatically when you close the door and walk away? If so, how long before it is auto locked?
Old 11-11-22, 01:08 PM
StraySheep
Pit Crew

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Does anyone know if NX350H would lock automatically when you close the door and walk away? If so, how long before it is auto locked?
Not for the Driver and passenger doors.

If you press the power lift gate with lock symbol button, then you can walk away and NX will automatically lock.
Old 11-11-22, 01:27 PM
albundy999
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by StraySheep

If you press the power lift gate with lock symbol button, then you can walk away and NX will automatically lock.
Thanks for the reply. That means I have to be quick to use the fob to close the door before someone scans for the code on the fob.
Old 11-11-22, 05:07 PM
albundy999
Pit Crew

Someone mentioned Lexus app earlier in this thread. On NX350H models with no digital key option (I think digital key is only available on the luxury models), can you start the car, lock and unlock the car with the Lexus app via Remote Connect? Does it do that through Bluetooth or Cellular connection?

I'm also wondering how safe it is in comparison with using the key fob.
Old 11-12-22, 09:04 AM
albundy999
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by StraySheep

From the manual, it said as long as power back door is locked, all doors will be locked. Every time I step out of the vehicle, Do I have to lock the door with the key fob before walking away? I thought if the door is closed and key fob is not detected inside the car, all doors should be locked. I guess I’m wrong on this.

Here is the section of close & lock from the manual:

Close & lock (walk away) *function
When the power back door is open, all of the doors will be locked when the power back door is closed.

Before driving

Entering/exiting the vehicle and loading luggage
INFORMATION
■ Close & lock (walk away) function operating conditions
This function can be operated when all of the following conditions are met:
● An electronic key is not detected within the vehicle.
● All of the doors other than the power back door are closed.
● The brake pedal is not depressed.
● The power switch is off.
■ Hands free close & lock (walk away) function* operating conditions This function can be operated when all of the following conditions are met:
● The hands free close & lock function setting is on.
● The Hands Free Power Back Door operating conditions are met.
■ Situations in which the close & lock (walk away) function may not operate properly In the following situations, the close & lock function may not operate properly:
● If the switch on the lower part of the power back door is pressed by a hand which is holding an electronic key
● If the switch on the lower part of the power back door is pressed when the electronic key is in a bag, etc. that is placed on the ground
● If the switch on the lower part of the power back door is pressed with the electronic key not near the vehicle

Old 11-12-22, 10:36 AM
zanewyn
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

From the manual, it said as long as power back door is locked, all doors will be locked. Every time I step out of the vehicle, Do I have to lock the door with the key fob before walking away? I thought if the door is closed and key fob is not detected inside the car, all doors should be locked. I guess I’m wrong on this.

Here is the section of close & lock from the manual:

Close & lock (walk away) *function
When the power back door is open, all of the doors will be locked when the power back door is closed.

Before driving

Entering/exiting the vehicle and loading luggage
INFORMATION
■ Close & lock (walk away) function operating conditions
This function can be operated when all of the following conditions are met:
■ Hands free close & lock (walk away) function* operating conditions This function can be operated when all of the following conditions are met:
● The hands free close & lock function setting is on.
● The Hands Free Power Back Door operating conditions are met.
■ Situations in which the close & lock (walk away) function may not operate properly In the following situations, the close & lock function may not operate properly:
● If the switch on the lower part of the power back door is pressed by a hand which is holding an electronic key
● If the switch on the lower part of the power back door is pressed when the electronic key is in a bag, etc. that is placed on the ground
● If the switch on the lower part of the power back door is pressed with the electronic key not near the vehicle
Unfortunately there is no auto lock when you walk away from the NX, which is a feature on a Honda Civic. I do miss it lol. You have to either press the close & lock from the tailgate, door handle or manually pressing the lock function on the key fob
The following users liked this post:
mandz21 (11-19-22)
Old 11-13-22, 04:14 AM
geomike
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SenorValas
I have been researching the usefulness of the various "tags" that are on the market so as to provide some method (albeit a relatively low-tech and cheap method) of tracking the car. I have a secure garage where the car is housed overnight but would like the extra reassurance of being able to pinpoint the car should it get stolen from elsewhere.

Are these tags really any good for tracking in real-time? I have seen conflicting reviews of these devices on YouTube and wondered if anyone on here had some experiences to share. I have a Samsung phone so would probably be more interested in the Samsung SmartTag.

Thanks.
if your pointing to smart tag and airtag , they give location when there is a samsung or apple phone near them. Smart tag need samsung and airtag need apple. So if the theif have samsung , the airtag wont recognize him. And vice versa.
maybe get both, for less than 100$.

Quick Reply: The 2022 NX and Theft