NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

The 2022 NX and Theft

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-22, 05:01 AM
Randyp1234
Advanced

Received 238 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by geomike
if your pointing to smart tag and airtag , they give location when there is a samsung or apple phone near them. Smart tag need samsung and airtag need apple. So if the theif have samsung , the airtag wont recognize him. And vice versa.
maybe get both, for less than 100$.
But if they aren't near a phone they are worthless, aren't they?
Old 11-13-22, 05:09 AM
albundy999
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 909
Disable "Access System with Elec. Key" in your door lock settings ( Vehicle customization) and press save.
Has anyone able to disable the above feature in the settings on the 2022 or 2023 Nx350h? If so, does it disable the flashing security led at the front?
Old 11-13-22, 06:43 AM
midcow3
Racer

Received 611 Likes on 404 Posts
Lightbulb The phone app is the weakest security link

The phone app is the weakest security link. It is fairly easy to hack a phone app. I am surprised Lexus didn't implement second level authentications to provide an adequate level of theft protection.

YMMV,
MidCow3

P.S. = The digital key works bast and always functions correctly if you leave it home and don't use it.

P.S.S. - Unlike some my phone charge always works so I guess I am glad I got that feature, The digital key, no so much - a technology solution looking to fix a problem that did not exist

Last edited by midcow3; 11-13-22 at 06:44 AM. Reason: spell check
Old 11-13-22, 06:49 AM
geomike
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Randyp1234
Exactly. They need to be in phone range.
Old 11-13-22, 12:21 PM
midcow3
Racer

Exclamation Hackers have long range devices

Hackers have powerful transmitters and receivers that emulate great phone range distances. I am not so sure I would think not being in "phone range" is not that great of a security measure; you are still thinking normal phone range, not hacker extended phone range. The phone apps are not secure.

YMMV,
MidCow3
Old 11-13-22, 12:32 PM
Randyp1234
Advanced

Originally Posted by midcow3
Hackers have powerful transmitters and receivers that emulate great phone range distances. I am not so sure I would think not being in "phone range" is not that great of a security measure; you are still thinking normal phone range, not hacker extended phone range. The phone apps are not secure.

YMMV,
MidCow3
I'm not sure I understand your response midcow. What we're saying is that these trackers can't be depended on to tell you where your car is located because they depend on being in contact with a cell phone to report their location.
Old 11-13-22, 12:34 PM
Randyp1234
Advanced

On the other hand, there's the "Last known parked location" feature on the Lexus app.
Old 11-13-22, 03:08 PM
albundy999
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by midcow3

YMMV,
MidCow3
If you say that the phone app is not secured because it doesn't have multi-factor authentication, then I would agree. If the transmitters and receivers are powerful enough to intercept the Bluetooth signal, then it would render the digital key useless if they are able to emulate and decipher that to make a clone of the digital key. However, anything going in and out of the internet connectivity are encrypted, I do not think powerful transmitters and receivers can decipher that in a short period of time with the assumption that the app is not running when it is not in use. A prolonged active key fob can be just vulnerable as an active app that constantly fetching data. Maybe there are hackers can exploit the loopholes in Lexus app, but there is no report on that at this moment.
Old 11-13-22, 03:34 PM
geomike
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

On the other hand, there's the "Last known parked location" feature on the Lexus app.
agree BUT when a thief get control ofbthe car , you no longer have access to the car i guess. So a tag or tracker is still a good option.
Old 11-13-22, 03:56 PM
albundy999
Pit Crew

agree BUT when a thief get control ofbthe car , you no longer have access to the car i guess. So a tag or tracker is still a good option.
It is good to know the location of your car. If the car thieves messed up the car so bad that it would cost you tons of $ to fix it, wouldn't having a good insurance with new vehicle replacement is a better option?
The following users liked this post:
geomike (11-13-22)
Old 11-13-22, 05:24 PM
midcow3
Racer

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by albundy999
If you say that the phone app is not secured because it doesn't have multi-factor authentication, then I would agree. If the transmitters and receivers are powerful enough to intercept the Bluetooth signal, then it would render the digital key useless if they are able to emulate and decipher that to make a clone of the digital key. However, anything going in and out of the internet connectivity are encrypted, I do not think powerful transmitters and receivers can decipher that in a short period of time with the assumption that the app is not running when it is not in use. A prolonged active key fob can be just vulnerable as an active app that constantly fetching data. Maybe there are hackers can exploit the loopholes in Lexus app, but there is no report on that at this moment.
Yes, second level authentication such as a timed software key, e.g. VIP access , is what Lexus should have implemented on the phone app.

YMMV,
MidCow3
Old 11-13-22, 10:47 PM
gcskoor
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

As Ryko has prior noted, Lexus promotes the key fob battery saver vs it also stopping a relay attack by always broadcasting a fob signal. You have to turn it on each time you use the fob. So a trade-off of putting in a bag or invoking the fob save function via a buttons sequence.

Nice option esp is you don't have a faraday bag with you or don't want to mess with one sometimes. I use both depending on my needs and if I want to carry a bag or don't have one. I also turn off my 2nd key fob both to save the battery, but more so to just not have the slight risk of it transmitting in my house to detached garage all the time unnecessarily.

From Lexus:

HOW TO REDUCE KEY FOB BATTERY DRAINAGE

Lexus is on the leading edge of technology, and in this case, they have a battery-saving mode that’s designed to help reduce battery drainage in your key fob! This can be set up to prevent the key from receiving radio waves, which reduces battery depletion:

Hold down the LOCK button while simultaneously pressing the UNLOCK button two times.
The electronic key indicator should flash four times to confirm that the battery-saving mode has been activated.
When you’re ready to resume use of the Smart Access system and push-button start, just press any button on the key fob!Fro
The following 2 users liked this post by gcskoor:
blueless (11-14-22), geomike (11-14-22)
Old 11-14-22, 04:27 AM
albundy999
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by gcskoor
As Ryko has prior noted, Lexus promotes the key fob battery saver vs it also stopping a relay attack by always broadcasting a fob signal. You have to turn it on each time you use the fob. So a trade-off of putting in a bag or invoking the fob save function via a buttons sequence.

Nice option esp is you don't have a faraday bag with you or don't want to mess with one sometimes. I use both depending on my needs and if I want to carry a bag or don't have one. I also turn off my 2nd key fob both to save the battery, but more so to just not have the slight risk of it transmitting in my house to detached garage all the time unnecessarily.

From Lexus:

HOW TO REDUCE KEY FOB BATTERY DRAINAGE

Lexus is on the leading edge of technology, and in this case, they have a battery-saving mode that’s designed to help reduce battery drainage in your key fob! This can be set up to prevent the key from receiving radio waves, which reduces battery depletion:

Hold down the LOCK button while simultaneously pressing the UNLOCK button two times.
The electronic key indicator should flash four times to confirm that the battery-saving mode has been activated.
When you’re ready to resume use of the Smart Access system and push-button start, just press any button on the key fob!Fro

Thanks for the above reminder. Do you know if 2022 or 2023 Nx350h has the option to disable the feature “System Access with Elec. Key” in the door settings via Lexus Interface?
Old 11-14-22, 07:51 AM
ttaylor121
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by CRC99
I imagine the new NX is going to be a big target for thieves. Lexus has provided a few ways of getting into the car.
-physical key
-key fob
-key card
-phone
Anyone thought of ways of dealing with this?
The car is continuously connected to the internet, with real-time gps tracking. If they steal one of these, they'll have to either remove all power or put it in a giant metal box very soon after, or risk being tracked.

Additionally the car can be disabled remotely as well, so running from law enforcement isn't an option either.

Very few of these will be successfully lifted from their rightful owners..
Old 11-14-22, 08:56 AM
albundy999
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ttaylor121
The car is continuously connected to the internet, with real-time gps tracking. If they steal one of these, they'll have to either remove all power or put it in a giant metal box very soon after, or risk being tracked.

Additionally the car can be disabled remotely as well, so running from law enforcement isn't an option either.

Very few of these will be successfully lifted from their rightful owners..
On 2022/2023 nx350h, is there any way to stop the car from transmitting signal out when signal key fob has been disabled? I asked about disabling "System Access with Elec. Key", but I couldn't find anyone who can confirm that on the nx350h.

Quick Reply: The 2022 NX and Theft