NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

The 2022 NX and Theft

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-22, 07:36 AM
Mkx2go
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by MTL2022
It was $399 for the ODB Lock & $599 for a TAG system.
Looks like there are no Dealers in Ontario, thanks
Old 11-23-22, 02:42 PM
zanewyn
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by ViMat
I installed this ODB lock on my Lexus NX: https://www.genosgarage.com/product/...ories-interior
The price was 50 USD plus I bought an extra key (just in case).
It fits, it most likely at least will slow down potential thieves.
I strongly suggest that if you buy from this place, use PayPal and not a credit card!

I also covered VIN number on my car. For the times when I have to keep my car overnight outside, I also have a Club steering wheel lock.
How much did it end up being after taxes and duties and do they ship to Canada? and why use PayPal?

Last edited by zanewyn; 11-23-22 at 02:46 PM.
Old 11-23-22, 02:42 PM
zanewyn
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Mkx2go
There are no Lexus dealers in Ontario that sells this. I checked their website and a local Ford dealer is authorized to carry it. Their price is $199 for the OBD port protector. Not sure if it's worth the premium compared to the $50 USD option.
Old 11-24-22, 04:28 AM
ViMat
Driver

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by zanewyn
How much did it end up being after taxes and duties and do they ship to Canada? and why use PayPal?
They ship to Canada, shipping cost for me was 22.76$ I shipped using USPS First-Class mail option - there was no extra duties. That option for USPS First-Class was not there initially, but after I created account it appeared for me.
Total price was 83.21USD and included extra key.
Again, I am strongly recommending to use PayPal if you order from this website for your credit card safety - that is all I am going to say here.

The following 2 users liked this post by ViMat:
Utopiag (11-24-22), zanewyn (11-24-22)
Old 11-24-22, 06:30 AM
mandz21
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mkx2go
for an obd port cover look at sherlick.ca put in your postal code and find a dealer to sell.it and install it.
Costs 240
Old 11-24-22, 07:28 AM
zanewyn
Pit Crew

They ship to Canada, shipping cost for me was 22.76$ I shipped using USPS First-Class mail option - there was no extra duties. That option for USPS First-Class was not there initially, but after I created account it appeared for me.
Total price was 83.21USD and included extra key.
Again, I am strongly recommending to use PayPal if you order from this website for your credit card safety - that is all I am going to say here.

Thanks! What's your impression of the lock? Does it do the job lol?
Old 11-24-22, 08:09 AM
ViMat
Driver

Thanks! What's your impression of the lock? Does it do the job lol?
The lock does the job - it would slow down potential access and would confuse potential thieves. But I do understand that with proper tools this lock could be broken/taken off. I would NOT buy an OBD lock for 400$, but for about 100 CAD it is an OK investment for another layer of protection.

Old 11-24-22, 10:51 AM
albundy999
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I installed this ODB lock on my Lexus NX: https://www.genosgarage.com/product/...ories-interior
I strongly suggest that if you buy from this place, use PayPal and not a credit card!

I also covered VIN number on my car. For the times when I have to keep my car overnight outside, I also have a Club steering wheel lock.
My only concern with the ODB lock with the key is just if the key fails to open for any reason, it might be an issue when I bring the vehicle for servicing.

What do you use to cover the VIN number and which Club steering wheel lock do you use? Thinking of getting the same thing for extra protection.
Old 11-24-22, 11:35 AM
Mkx2go
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

There are no Lexus dealers in Ontario that sells this. I checked their website and a local Ford dealer is authorized to carry it. Their price is $199 for the OBD port protector. Not sure if it's worth the premium compared to the $50 USD option.
I called Sherlock they told me Speedy Auto glass are one of their dealers. Not sure if all locations do installs..
Old 11-24-22, 12:44 PM
ViMat
Driver

Originally Posted by albundy999
My only concern with the ODB lock with the key is just if the key fails to open for any reason, it might be an issue when I bring the vehicle for servicing.

What do you use to cover the VIN number and which Club steering wheel lock do you use? Thinking of getting the same thing for extra protection.
I bought 2 keys with my OBD lock - one is hidden inside the car, another at my home. The lock is very trivial and even if you will lose the keys, I am sure it is very possible to open. But it is one thing to open it when you have time, tools, and proper lighting, and very different when it is at night, there is pressure somebody might see you and you might not have the necessary tools with you.
I have a very old Club steering wheel lock (about 20Yr old) - it works more like a visible deterrent. There are plenty of videos online on how you can drill the Club lock and open it within a minute.
I just simply used a thin business card to cover VIN. My car most of the time is parked inside the garage, except at the cottage - that is when I am using Club.
That is how much I am willing to go to protect my car - If something will happen, I have insurance.

The following 2 users liked this post by ViMat:
albundy999 (11-24-22), zanewyn (11-24-22)
Old 11-24-22, 07:51 PM
genadi
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

is the lock made of metal or plastic? Easy to install? Any videos or manuals available? Wondering how it fits. The whole assembly of the port attached to flimsy plastic… not sure how to properly lock down the port.
thanks
Old 11-25-22, 04:09 AM
ViMat
Driver

Originally Posted by genadi
is the lock made of metal or plastic? Easy to install? Any videos or manuals available? Wondering how it fits. The whole assembly of the port attached to flimsy plastic… not sure how to properly lock down the port.
thanks
It is a plastic OBD cover. It fits OK and is very easy installation. You put it on and turn the key a couple of times in circles. It simply makes OBD LESS ACCESSIBLE, and because that port is not easily accessible (closer to the floor), I believe is good enough to slow down potential thieves.
Old 11-25-22, 04:44 AM
Dswhittle
Rookie

Received 28 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by MTL2022
It was $399 for the ODB Lock & $599 for a TAG system.
That’s interesting!I bought a Sherlock OBD port protector for less than $150 from my Lexus dealers parts department for less than $150! FYI. Installation took me about 5 minutes.
Old 11-25-22, 05:00 AM
genadi
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Dswhittle
That’s interesting!I bought a Sherlock OBD port protector for less than $150 from my Lexus dealers parts department for less than $150! FYI. Installation took me about 5 minutes.
what dealer was it?
Old 11-25-22, 10:24 AM
Dswhittle
Rookie

Received 28 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by genadi
what dealer was it?
I bought it in October from Bel-Air Lexus in Ottawa. I checked my bill and it was exactly $150 plus tax.

Quick Reply: The 2022 NX and Theft