NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

The 2022 NX and Theft

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-22, 04:55 AM
CRC99
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default The 2022 NX and Theft

I imagine the new NX is going to be a big target for thieves. Lexus has provided a few ways of getting into the car.
-physical key
-key fob
-key card
-phone
Anyone thought of ways of dealing with this?
Old 08-08-22, 07:05 AM
zanewyn
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

From what I have seen, parking on the driveway has the highest risk for theft. So if possible, park the car in the garage. Besides that, maybe consider one/combination of the following:
- Faraday pouch/box
- OBD port lock
- Steering wheel lock
- Hidden Apple airtag to track the vehicle
Old 08-08-22, 07:07 AM
DaveDude
Driver

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

OBD Port lock. Won't stop a determined thief with enough time but may get them to move on to an easier target.
Old 08-08-22, 07:38 PM
jatwell
Pit Crew

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

The big no-no for me was using a digital key (phone). I’m world famous for leaving my phone in the car, so not a good idea.
Old 08-08-22, 09:21 PM
LStoneX
Intermediate

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts
Default Faraday pouch for sure!

I've had a Faraday pouch for my key from the first day. Particularly since car theft has since become the biggest pastime in Canada😜

I might consider an apple airtag in the very near future. I think the biggest risk isn't when you're at home; it's when you're not at home and you'd have to park ins public place like a mall parking lot, underground lot or a friend's driveway.

My colleague's CRV got stolen recently from whether he parked it outside a hotel in Montreal😟

Last edited by LStoneX; 08-09-22 at 05:56 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Peterun (08-23-22)
Old 08-09-22, 01:38 AM
NiCoRe
Driver

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

Grand theft auto is pretty much a sport here in France
To prevent relay attack stealing methods :
Use a good faraday pouch or box for key fobs (or put them in eco mode which stops unsolicited signal emission. You'll have to push the button to unlock the for)
Limit the use of digital keys
To prevent other situations ;
Visible and quality wheel lock even in your own garage
ODB lock is not visible enough to dissuade a thief to break in your car
Last line of defense would be a real tracker device can be useful (using GPS and IoT tech in order to get a signal underground or in a container) if your local police is willing to intervene
Old 08-09-22, 07:22 AM
anniedrea
Driver

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

This is a very interesting thread. I never considered newer cars being targets for thieves, unless they bust through a window or c*rjack. Due to the advanced technology, I figured most new cars were turnoffs for theft. I’m currently awaiting delivery on my 350h, so I will definitely keep this in mind. So, how do all these gadgets attached to the car work? Do the cars automatically unlock from a signal that you’re nearby? You no longer have to press a button? My mother has a 2018 RX and she has to physically touch the door handle to get it to unlock. Sorry for all the questions - the key system has confounded me throughout this message board.
gb350h (11-07-22)
Old 08-09-22, 07:32 AM
Ihave1cat
Intermediate

Received 139 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by jatwell
The big no-no for me was using a digital key (phone). I’m world famous for leaving my phone in the car, so not a good idea.
I have a number of issues with the digital key (there's a few long forum posts I have, and an open case with Lexus on this - that they are "working on") - but the Digital Key will not let you lock the phone in your car. The door will not lock, and will result in the same thing as you leaving the physical key in the car.

Just adding this for clarity. Also adding that I would avoid the digital key for all the issues (reliability, battery drain, etc) issues it has.

Thanks!
The following 3 users liked this post by Ihave1cat:
javahigh (08-29-22), lsft (08-09-22), LStoneX (08-09-22)
Old 08-09-22, 11:41 PM
xcoreflyup
Rookie

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I just ordered a Faraday pouch. $14 for a pack of 2 with free shipping on Amazon right now. Its a good insurance.
Old 08-10-22, 01:09 AM
kreativ
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has there been any documented thefts from hacking into Toyota/Lexus key fobs or digital keys?
dklanecky1 (08-13-22)
Old 08-10-22, 01:50 AM
NiCoRe
Driver

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by kreativ
Has there been any documented thefts from hacking into Toyota/Lexus key fobs or digital keys?
There has been a few reports on French forums about relay attacks (Key FOB signal hacking) for RAV4 (prime and non prime).
Old 08-10-22, 05:05 AM
nitrolada
Pit Crew

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by CRC99
I imagine the new NX is going to be a big target for thieves. Lexus has provided a few ways of getting into the car.
-physical key
-key fob
-key card
-phone
Anyone thought of ways of dealing with this?
Have insurance? get the depreciation waiver so they'll pay out full purchase price within first 3 years

I always hope my car gets stolen within first 3 years especially in years 2 and 3 lol
LStoneX (08-10-22)
Old 08-10-22, 06:21 AM
LStoneX
Intermediate

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts
Default True that!

Originally Posted by nitrolada
Have insurance? get the depreciation waiver so they'll pay out full purchase price within first 3 years

I always hope my car gets stolen within first 3 years especially in years 2 and 3 lol
I agree with you. Especially on the depreciation waiver (or gap insurance as it's called in some places). Certainly saves you having to pay out of pocket while you're still upside down on your auto loan
Old 08-10-22, 07:48 AM
Susido
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Currently dealing with a myriad of issues without enough time to solve any of them it seems, I don't think i'd much mind a thief stealing mine. But nevertheless I did buy a "large" Faraday box to store a couple sets of vehicle keys. But my wallet doesn't fit in that box and that's where I keep the keycard which I much prefer to use. Would getting a wallet with RFID protection for the keycard provide about the same level of protection as a Faraday box?
LStoneX (08-10-22)
Old 08-10-22, 08:29 AM
genadi
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Got my NX 450h about three weeks ago.

Yesterday, I took my car to the dealership for its first service and spoke to the service manager. Basically, I was asking the same questions about theft, faraday boxes, scanners etc. he said that new NX and other new models come with new key fobs that make it more difficult to steal. They have new encryption with rolling codes when each time key fob and your vehicle initiated contact, encryption keys are rolled and previously scanned key to open the door will not work when you try to start the car. You must have a key fob with you with new authentication codes. Now, the weak link of course, once a thief gained access to your car, he can use a computer to connect to obd port and to program his key fob…
Also, some new computers can be used to unlock the without even having a key fob. So, faraday pouches are not useful in such cases. It’s a brave new world…
I think, the best we can do is to make the process of stealing the car more difficult. These are fairly inexpensive solutions will likely dissuade a thief from trying to steal your car. Start form purchasing faraday box/pouch, installing obd port locks or, fake/dummy obd devices with tamper alarm, installing second alarms with immobilizers, good old mechanical solutions like steering wheel lock, pedal lock, mechanical immobilizer switch.

Here is inexpensive and cool dummy obd with a siren.
https://www.dummyobd.com
The following 3 users liked this post by genadi:
450hPlus (11-07-22), hintonwood (08-12-22), Utopiag (08-11-22)

Quick Reply: The 2022 NX and Theft