NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Dealer maintenence cost?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-22, 11:45 AM
evrinus
Driver School Candidate

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Dealer maintenence cost?

Wonder how much is the maintenence cost (every 5000 miles?) each time if you didn't purchase the extended package when you pick up your brand new NX?
Old 08-16-22, 11:49 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

Oil Change at the local Toyota dealer, $69.00 every 10,000 km. or 6,000 miles. Have never had to have any of them (4) serviced so I can't tell you what things cost.
Old 08-16-22, 12:03 PM
midcow3
Racer

Received 566 Likes on 375 Posts
Exclamation Lexus Service is free ....

Originally Posted by FastFord
Oil Change at the local Toyota dealer, $69.00 every 10,000 km. or 6,000 miles. Have never had to have any of them (4) serviced so I can't tell you what things cost.
... However, the loaner cars, the opulent lounge area, the gourmet cookies, and the special coffee cost $200- 400 per visit

5,000 miles you rotate tires and check fluids . meh
10,000 miles you change the o@FastFord said about $69 and every 10K after
15,000 replace smart key battery
20,000 change oil
25,000 rotate
30,000 first major @ Lexus probably $200-300
oil change
brake fluid replace
35,000 rotate
40,000 oil change.

DO nOT GET PR-PAID maintenance packages

The following 2 users liked this post by midcow3:
FastFord (08-16-22), sm20202 (11-22-23)
Old 08-16-22, 12:15 PM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

True the cookies are great! Best part of a service visit. Took the Owners new Tundra TDR pro out for a spin last week. Jerk (lol) won't sell it to me!
I have never purchased the pre-paid maintenance. I don't think it's worth it, but that's just me, plus I rarely keep a car beyond 20 months so 1 or 2 oil changes and it's time to go....
****** some Toyota dealers won't touch your Lexus******* Where I live the same person owns the Toyota and Lexus dealerships, almost beside each other. At Lexus, oil changes cost more!
Old 08-16-22, 01:06 PM
Dkaplan
Intermediate

Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

On the flip side, we've taken my wife's Prius for serving for over 11 years at our Lexus dealer.
Old 08-16-22, 01:30 PM
scooky
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

4+ hours. That's what it costs...

I haven't done competitive comparison between my Lexus dealer and other options. Their fees seem "reasonable"
Plus they stored my alternate season wheels/tires and swapped them. This altered my cost + my time.
Dealer does a decent job. The location is very nice. They wash the car which is a nice bonus. Espresso and snacks. Stuff like that. They forgot to switch my TPMS sensors most of the time when swapping tires...
Happy joy mostly.

I just can't get over how long it took. It was always a half day operation.
I live about 40 minutes away so getting a loaner and driving home and back wasn't a great proposition. I could have gone somewhere else, but there wasn't much in walking distance. Usually just sat and watched a "few" movies or tried to work on a laptop.

Cost wasn't an issue. If I had 2 requests.
Take a little less time.
Stop telling me anything less than 5 stars is a personal embarrassment that will get them fired or worse.
Old 08-16-22, 01:59 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,014 Likes on 693 Posts

I've had all of the routine maintenance for the 4 Lexus vehicles that I've owned done at the local Toyota dealer.

Typically, the cost of routine maintenance has been about 1/2 or less at the Toyota dealer than what the Lexus dealer would have charged for the same work. For example, the full synthetic oil change at the Toyota dealer costs $50 (with a $10 coupon that is always available). A full synthetic oil change at the Lexus dealer is likely to cost $125 or more.

Besides routine maintenance, repairs at the Toyota dealer also cost 1/2 or less than what they would have cost at the Lexus dealer. For example, a number of years ago, I had a leak in the air conditioner refrigerant line on my Lexus GX. The Lexus dealer insisted that the entire line needed to be replaced at a cost of around $2000. The Toyota dealer offered to replace the entire line for around $900, but they also told me that all that needed to be done was to replace a bad fitting. They replaced that fitting and re-charged the system for under $300.

Lexus dealers seem to operate their service departments on the principle that, if people are willing to pay a premium price to buy a Lexus vehicle, they will also be willing to pay a premium price for service.

Note also, the dealer is likely to try to sell you a pre-paid maintenance plan. Pre-paid maintenance plans and other add-ons, like extended warranties, tire and wheel protection plans, etc. generally have a mark-up of several hundred percent. A dealer can sell a customer a car for a minimal profit, but, if it can sell the customer add-ons, like extended warranties and pre-paid maintenance plans, that dealer can turn what started out to be a minimum profit deal into one of its biggest profit deals.
Old 08-16-22, 04:44 PM
jardlr
Driver

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

My wife drives around 30k miles a year, and we have been doing synthetic oil changes (or so we thought, but that's for a different thread), every 10k miles. So the other day, I got roped into this
(It's pretty long, but informative)

This mechanic seems pretty sincere, and I don't want to be the one who ends up with the blown engine at 180k miles. He feels that changing the oil every 5k miles is a small cost compared to the $6,000 engine rebuild caused by running worn out oil. We usually trade our vehicles in well before they hit 150k miles, but with one kid in college with another close behind, we'll probably be extending the life of our fleet.

I'm not sure what to believe.
Old 08-16-22, 07:19 PM
Lexus22563
Intermediate

Received 89 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by jardlr
My wife drives around 30k miles a year, and we have been doing synthetic oil changes (or so we thought, but that's for a different thread), every 10k miles. So the other day, I got roped into this youtube video

This mechanic seems pretty sincere, and I don't want to be the one who ends up with the blown engine at 180k miles. He feels that changing the oil every 5k miles is a small cost compared to the $6,000 engine rebuild caused by running worn out oil. We usually trade our vehicles in well before they hit 150k miles, but with one kid in college with another close behind, we'll probably be extending the life of our fleet.

I will take the car care nuts advice and change the oil every 5000 miles. I still have an included service at 10000 miles. I believe my dealership will match the price of another local dealer.
Old 08-16-22, 08:01 PM
midcow3
Racer

Received 566 Likes on 375 Posts
Lightbulb

My wife drives around 30k miles a year, and we have been doing synthetic oil changes (or so we thought, but that's for a different thread), every 10k miles. So the other day, I got roped into this youtube video

every 3,000 if you are the mechanic talking every 10,000 if you are the owner. If you don't change often they lose money. So h'mmm how can a mechanic get you to change more often ...throw out some FUD

YMMV,
<idCow3

P.S. - I am going to use regular gas and change with synthetic oil every 10,000 miles
Old 08-16-22, 08:34 PM
Susido
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

My one and only visit to the owner's lounge was minutes after buying my 350h. No beer (although salesman did get me a warm one from storage), no wine, no snacks of any kind, fridge empty, pop cooler stocked but not turned on...I'm new to this Lexus experience, should I have expected something more?
Old 08-16-22, 09:05 PM
xcoreflyup
Rookie

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I do agree with him to a degree and after researching, i also found several mechanic reporting 2018+ toyota buring oil after just 80k miles. We are using a thin @$$ oil and toyota advise us to change the oil at 10K for most driving condition. The manual wording for the 5000 miles "special operation" is quite unclear.

Now, Common knowledge asks for 3000 mile oil change interval with dino and 7000-8000 miles with full synthetic oil. and That was with 5w30 oils. Personally, i will be doing 7000 mile oil change on my 350H. Do 5000 mile change if you want to be close to 100% certain that you have a healthy engine with no oil burning at 150k+ miles.

Last edited by xcoreflyup; 08-19-22 at 10:34 AM.
Old 08-17-22, 03:52 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,132 Likes on 733 Posts

Every 30,000 miles, I pay less than $400 each for our 2017 ESh and 450h for maintenence at our local Lexus dealer. Guessing the prepaid cost is much more.
Old 08-18-22, 08:27 PM
CdO
Pit Crew

Received 60 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by midcow3
...If you don't change often they lose money. So h'mmm how can a mechanic get you to change more often ...throw out some FUD...
I'll summarize the video. Customer did dealer oil changes every 10k. Engine started burning some oil at 120k??? Ended up burning like a quart every 1k by 180k. His experience(s) leads him to believe 10k is not enough. I think he genuinely believes this. He says dealers use the cheapest oil they can find. He explains, way more money is earned fixing stuff that was not maintained than is made on maintenance. He is absolutely a Toyota/Lexus cheerleader that believes that they will last forever if properly maintained. (He doesn't believe in lifetime coolant or transmission fluid either... I might believe in lifetime coolant; but, lifetime transmission fluid??? How?)

Having a 450h+ en route has got me thinking about oil change intervals. I'm not sure how often we would be firing up the engine. If you only run the engine for one day a week for 20 minutes, how often should you change the oil? Seems like severe service. I'm considering changing the oil (DIY) every six months, maybe just do it every Oct 1 and April 1 (sounds like a decent schedule for Houston/Woodlands).
Old 08-18-22, 08:38 PM
nx450plus
Pit Crew

Received 99 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by CdO
I'll summarize the video. Customer did dealer oil changes every 10k. Engine started burning some oil at 120k??? Ended up burning like a quart every 1k by 180k. His experience(s) leads him to believe 10k is not enough. I think he genuinely believes this. He says dealers use the cheapest oil they can find. He explains, way more money is earned fixing stuff that was not maintained than is made on maintenance. He is absolutely a Toyota/Lexus cheerleader that believes that they will last forever if properly maintained. (He doesn't believe in lifetime coolant or transmission fluid either... I might believe in lifetime coolant; but, lifetime transmission fluid??? How?)

Having a 450h+ en route has got me thinking about oil change intervals. I'm not sure how often we would be firing up the engine. If you only run the engine for one day a week for 20 minutes, how often should you change the oil? Seems like severe service. I'm considering changing the oil (DIY) every six months, maybe just do it every Oct 1 and April 1 (sounds like a decent schedule for Houston/Woodlands).
I am going to DIY change the oil at 6 months in October and every 6 after that. The money I save on fuel offsets this extra cost
The following users liked this post:
CdO (08-18-22)

Quick Reply: Dealer maintenence cost?