NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Weird paint spots on roof

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-22, 11:26 AM
Thuwaragan
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Weird paint spots on roof

Anyone having what looks like paint issues on the roof of their NX? Happened to notice today that there’s a brown spot (feel like rust?) as well as lots of white marks just in front of the sunroof. I tried cleaning it off with a bit of water but it’s not disappearing. Not feeling anything either so it seems like it’s under the clear coat

For reference, this is the NX450h+ that I got in May 2022

Old 09-05-22, 11:00 AM
Ihave1cat
Intermediate

Received 139 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Thuwaragan
Anyone having what looks like paint issues on the roof of their NX? Happened to notice today that there’s a brown spot (feel like rust?) as well as lots of white marks just in front of the sunroof. I tried cleaning it off with a bit of water but it’s not disappearing. Not feeling anything either so it seems like it’s under the clear coat

For reference, this is the NX450h+ that I got in May 2022

That doesn't look normal at all. I doubt it's bird droppings.
I'd try something more potent than water, starting from a simple wash, to bug and tar remover. If that doesn't work - I'd go to the dealer. Surface rust should not happen (and is covered under warranty) on new vehicles.
It's possible there was some contamination during the paint or clearcoat process - but that would still be covered.
Old 09-05-22, 02:02 PM
Randyp1234
Advanced

Received 236 Likes on 171 Posts

In the picture it looks like it's on the sunroof too. Like something dripped on the car.
The following users liked this post:
CdO (09-06-22)
Old 11-18-22, 07:29 AM
Thuwaragan
Rookie

Mystery solved and yes it was something dripping down on the car. The roof of the parking garage my wife parks at has rusted beams that drip onto the cars below when it's raining. We found similar stains on the second (older car) we have. She's no longer allowed to park this car in that garage
The following 3 users liked this post by Thuwaragan:
blueless (11-18-22), F3Woody (01-05-23), lsft (11-18-22)
Old 11-18-22, 08:48 AM
lsft
Racer

Received 600 Likes on 403 Posts

Mystery solved and yes it was something dripping down on the car. The roof of the parking garage my wife parks at has rusted beams that drip onto the cars below when it's raining. We found similar stains on the second (older car) we have. She's no longer allowed to park this car in that garage
They were able to clean it and no spots afterwards?
Old 11-18-22, 08:50 AM
Thuwaragan
Rookie

Originally Posted by lsft
They were able to clean it and no spots afterwards?
No. I got side tracked with a death in the family and I didn't get a chance to get this cleaned up. Now that snow's here, I'm not sure i'm going to get a chance to get at it until spring
Old 11-18-22, 01:37 PM
CaptAngry
Pit Crew

Received 80 Likes on 45 Posts

No. I got side tracked with a death in the family and I didn't get a chance to get this cleaned up. Now that snow's here, I'm not sure i'm going to get a chance to get at it until spring
Sorry to hear about the family.

I would try to prioritize getting that cleaned up ASAP so you don't permanently damage the paint. With the right product it shouldn't take more than a few minutes
Old 11-18-22, 01:39 PM
Thuwaragan
Rookie

Originally Posted by CaptAngry
Sorry to hear about the family.

I would try to prioritize getting that cleaned up ASAP so you don't permanently damage the paint. With the right product it shouldn't take more than a few minutes
Agreed. I'm totally lost on the sea of products available and I'm partially afraid of causing more damage than good. Thankfully I have an older car I can test things out of if needed. Do you, or anyone, have any suggestions on what product to use?
Old 11-18-22, 02:58 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,175 Likes on 1,633 Posts

just spot clean with soap and water and rinse (preferably car wash soap) if it's more stubborn, you can try a "clay kit" from any auto parts store. then put some wax on it to protect the area after you are done. any close up pics?
Old 11-18-22, 03:15 PM
CaptAngry
Pit Crew

Received 80 Likes on 45 Posts

It depends on what the drips are. You said it from a rusty beam in a parking garage? You can try something like
Adam's Iron Remover Adam's Iron Remover
, which is designed specifically for vehicle paint so it shouldn't damage the clear coat at all. If there are calcium-like (white) deposits you can try white vinegar. Soak it into a paper towel and lay it on the spots to soften them.

The following users liked this post:
CdO (11-18-22)
Old 11-19-22, 12:29 PM
dklanecky1
Intermediate

Received 136 Likes on 91 Posts

I don't know for sure, but I think if it was my ~$60K almost brand new vehicle, I'd find a good detailer and take it to them for resolution.

You could potentially do more damage, especially if your not sure what to do or what products to use, and waiting will likely only make it worse, especially through winter if the rust has already grabbed hold.
Old 11-19-22, 02:54 PM
LStoneX
Intermediate

Received 220 Likes on 154 Posts

Agreed. I'm totally lost on the sea of products available and I'm partially afraid of causing more damage than good. Thankfully I have an older car I can test things out of if needed. Do you, or anyone, have any suggestions on what product to use?
If you're not afraid to get your hands dirty and put in some elbow grease, go DIY. There's a satisfaction you get from doing these kinds of things yourself.

The Iron remover quoted earlier works well as does white vinegar too. But I would do wash, then a clay bar, then a polish. If you had a ceramic coat or PPF installed earlier, it will certainly make the job infinitely easier to do.