NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Digital mirror

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-22, 01:43 PM
Pharbor
Pit Crew

Received 58 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Digital mirror

Has anyone upgraded their nx replacing the base rear view mirror with the digital one that uses the rear camera? Just wondering if that can be purchased separately and if the wiring is all there.
Old 09-11-22, 05:55 PM
chiguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

You may want to do some research before you move forward on this. I was rather bummed at first when the 450h+'s were coming with everything but the digital rearview mirror. But then I looked into it, and found there might be a reason. People apparently hate them. So it might have been a good place to cut chip usage during the shortage.

Just google digital review mirrors and you'll find a lot of links telling you why they are not good. First, for everyone, they give a distorted view of what's behind the vehicle, that does not jive with what you'd normally see, and apparently people find that disconcerting. But even worse, if you happen to be one of us that wears progressive lenses for help with reading close objects, they are particularly bad. When you look in a normal rearview mirror, you see objects at their focus distance of what they really are, but if you have a digital mirror, you need to focus on what is really a screen just a few inches from you, and of course, you're looking through the top part of your lenses which is designed for distance, so you get a blurry image. I'm sure some people love them, but after reading about the progressive/bi-focal lens issue, I was perfectly happy to go forward without a digital rearview mirror. If the lens issue isn't a concern for you, then maybe it would be good for you, if you can get used to the view it gives, but apparently, they are not a "must have" to many people, if not an outright "avoid".
The following 3 users liked this post by chiguy:
geomike (09-12-22), mcomer (09-12-22), Pete7874 (11-29-23)
Old 09-12-22, 01:16 AM
hintonwood
Pit Crew

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

I hated mine and it made me feel sick, but after reading a post of someone who persevered with it and loved it I tried again.

I have driven 4.5k miles since I changed and would never voluntarily go back to the glass mirror.

The view in rear view glass mirrors and door mirrors is also not a true perspective but our brains adapt to give us perspective so that we learn to anticipate where objects are.

I wear multi-focal contact lenses and find no issue. The bi-focal spectacle lens issue may be a problem that precludes wearers of bifocal lenses from using the digital mirror but for everyone else, based on my experience, I would recommend having it.
The following 4 users liked this post by hintonwood:
Billst (09-21-23), Dkaplan (09-17-23), Kodi2024 (10-20-23), unkind2cat (09-12-22)
Old 09-12-22, 04:13 AM
Dkaplan
Intermediate

Received 131 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by chiguy
You may want to do some research before you move forward on this. I was rather bummed at first when the 450h+'s were coming with everything but the digital rearview mirror. But then I looked into it, and found there might be a reason. People apparently hate them. So it might have been a good place to cut chip usage during the shortage.

Just google digital review mirrors and you'll find a lot of links telling you why they are not good. First, for everyone, they give a distorted view of what's behind the vehicle, that does not jive with what you'd normally see, and apparently people find that disconcerting. But even worse, if you happen to be one of us that wears progressive lenses for help with reading close objects, they are particularly bad. When you look in a normal rearview mirror, you see objects at their focus distance of what they really are, but if you have a digital mirror, you need to focus on what is really a screen just a few inches from you, and of course, you're looking through the top part of your lenses which is designed for distance, so you get a blurry image. I'm sure some people love them, but after reading about the progressive/bi-focal lens issue, I was perfectly happy to go forward without a digital rearview mirror. If the lens issue isn't a concern for you, then maybe it would be good for you, if you can get used to the view it gives, but apparently, they are not a "must have" to many people, if not an outright "avoid".
It took me one trip using the digital mirror and I love it. My wife, who sometimes drives the NX, prefers the analog.
The following 3 users liked this post by Dkaplan:
Billst (09-21-23), Klamalama (05-03-23), sixpak62 (07-13-24)
Old 09-12-22, 04:40 AM
Dswhittle
Rookie

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts

Once I got used to it I love the digital mirror. I wear progressives and it does take a little time to get used to but the consistency and brightness of a digital mirror are a real plus. A tip is to adjust the position of the mirror up so that it doesn’t get any bright reflections from the backseat area. My wife occasionally drives the car and one nice thing is that she never has to adjust the mirror (nor do I when I get back into it) because it isn’t a reflection that depends upon the angle of the mirror.
The following 3 users liked this post by Dswhittle:
Billst (09-21-23), Norcal001 (10-21-23), Skedadle (09-21-23)
Old 09-12-22, 05:07 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

I had it on my last vehicle and current NX. I wear glasses for what it's worth...

It takes some getting used to, but it's very handy when you fill up the back of the vehicle and need to see out the back.

I have not given it enough time to get used to, so I just use it normally.

I would guess it would be very expensive for something that is not really necessary. It's more than just the back-up camera,
there's another one up in the back window, maybe that's there on all models, maybe a new mirror...don't know.

Me, I don't think the cost or effort is worth it for what it does.
Old 09-12-22, 06:10 AM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Received 2,275 Likes on 1,046 Posts

As no one is actually answering the OPs question, I'll do it. It is a VERY costly and time consuming process. The mirror alone carries a retail price of nearly $3000. It is also not plug and play. The cars with the digital mirror actually have two cameras in the rear, one for the backup camera and one for the digital mirror. You would have to purchase the camera module as well, which is roughly around $400. You also need to purchase the coax cable that provides the video signal itself. This is probably the cheapest component around $60. For a proper OEM install, you have to take apart the rear hatch and drop the headliner to route the cable. An alternative, assuming you don't use Homelink, is to get the Gentex aftermarket mirror (Gentex GENFDM3LN Rear-view mirror with display for included rear-view cam at Crutchfield) which is the same exact mirror minus the homelink buttons. Gentex is the OEM supplier of the digital mirrors for Toyota/Lexus. This also includes all of the cables and cameras that are needed. The downside to this approach is that you lose homelink buttons, and the camera for the mirror is not as cleanly integrated into the tailgate.
The following 2 users liked this post by TipsyTonio:
CdO (09-12-22), Infusion (09-12-22)
Old 09-12-22, 06:46 AM
midcow3
Racer

Received 531 Likes on 347 Posts
Lightbulb Digital Mirrors buyer's remorse?

Originally Posted by chiguy

Digital mirrors are different and it took me awhile to get used to it. But once you do the view is so superb with no blockage , you wonder how you did without it. If the digital mirror option is not available on a particular model, in this case 450h+, then you can use all sorts of hindsight to justify why digital mirrors are not good, similar to justifying why ML isn't much better ( actually ML far superior). I wouldn't believe all the Google testimonial review about how Digital mirrors are bad; almost like buyers remorse, you go to any extent to justify YOUR decision. Progressive lens is one argument criteria being used.

I am not sure of what Lexus's logic was in leaving out some major features, options, and packages off the 450h+ model but they did and some people like me bought a 350h instead of a 450h+ because of this.

Peace and Good Will

YMMV,
MidCow3
The following 2 users liked this post by midcow3:
Billst (09-17-23), NX450Guy (05-12-24)
Old 09-12-22, 02:30 PM
LiBeRtAs
Advanced

Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by midcow3
Digital mirrors are different and it took me awhile to get used to it. But once you do the view is so superb with no blockage , you wonder how you did without it. If the digital mirror option is not available on a particular model, in this case 450h+, then you can use all sorts of hindsight to justify why digital mirrors are not good, similar to justifying why ML isn't much better ( actually ML far superior). I wouldn't believe all the Google testimonial review about how Digital mirrors are bad; almost like buyers remorse, you go to any extent to justify YOUR decision. Progressive lens is one argument criteria being used.

I am not sure of what Lexus's logic was in leaving out some major features, options, and packages off the 450h+ model but they did and some people like me bought a 350h instead of a 450h+ because of this.

Peace and Good Will

YMMV,
MidCow3
I like your sign off/signature by the way.

I like mine also for all the obvious reasons but I am struggling with the distance with the digital mirror/camera everything looks closer than it is and I don’t see a way to adjust that, is there?

I am adjusting and I am very glad I have it, and if you don’t want to use it you just flip the switch and it goes back to the regular mirror so it’s a must have in my opinion.

As to the question of after purchase installation whether by Lexus or not I can’t imagine that being feasible because they have to install the camera into the back panel of the car and run the electronics up to the front of the car etc. it would cost a lot of money.
Old 09-12-22, 04:01 PM
scooky
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by LiBeRtAs
I like mine also for all the obvious reasons but I am struggling with the distance with the digital mirror/camera everything looks closer than it is and I don’t see a way to adjust that, is there?
Yes you can. Not easy to describe but video below shows it real well.
Around 1:06:14 Link might go directly there

Fwiw: Mine was the opposite. I could see 3 full lanes of freeway behind me when I first drove it home. Actually, kind of liked it that way, but I "zoomed" in a little when I got home.

Note: My wife wears progressives and while she hasn't tried it much, I think she does have a challenge getting it in focus. Will vary by person.
The following users liked this post:
Billst (09-21-23)
Old 09-12-22, 05:07 PM
Pharbor
Pit Crew

Received 58 Likes on 31 Posts

@TipsyTonio Thank you very much - your answer was exactly what I was looking for.
@midcow3 My 450 H+ is an F sport and for some reason Lexus decided if you want the sport model you don't want the rear mirror. The Luxury 450h+ does have it - weird.

To everyone else - thank you for posting your comments they were very helpful.
Old 09-12-22, 05:10 PM
LiBeRtAs
Advanced

Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by scooky
Yes you can. Not easy to describe but video below shows it real well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6S21RoEq2E&t=3974s
Around 1:06:14 Link might go directly there

Fwiw: Mine was the opposite. I could see 3 full lanes of freeway behind me when I first drove it home. Actually, kind of liked it that way, but I "zoomed" in a little when I got home.

Note: My wife wears progressives and while she hasn't tried it much, I think she does have a challenge getting it in focus. Will vary by person.
Thanks, I was already doing that and the most zooming out you can do still has the items appearing closer than they are and it’s an issue when backing up in a parking lot otherwise I agree with you I like having that big view.
The following users liked this post:
Billst (09-21-23)
Old 09-16-23, 04:04 AM
GoldenYear
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I have the 2021 RX 350 base model after reading this I am no longer interested in Digital RW mirror because of the cost & been not practical. I am sticking to what I have .
Old 09-16-23, 07:34 AM
Randyp1234
Advanced

Received 229 Likes on 166 Posts

At the risk of hijacking the thread, is it safe to assume that being able to see "out the back window" if you have a bunch of cargo blocking the window is the only point of the digital mirror? What's the point otherwise?

Randy
Old 09-16-23, 07:56 AM
Sounds
Advanced

Received 168 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Randyp1234
At the risk of hijacking the thread, is it safe to assume that being able to see "out the back window" if you have a bunch of cargo blocking the window is the only point of the digital mirror? What's the point otherwise?

Randy
I think the digital camera is an amazing innovative creative (what else) feature. That being the case I keep forgetting we have one. Never used and most like will not use it. Your post is pretty straight forward and do not see it as hijack. It does not answer the OP's question however it's good info for those that are considering it or would like to upgrade... They are not missing much. If I had the choice of having or not not having it would not be in the build. Good post. Good point 1234.

Quick Reply: Digital mirror