NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Roof Rails Issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-22, 05:19 PM
Lakerstrg
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Roof Rails Issue

Hi All, just got my NX today and I'm diggin it BUT, noticed the roof rails aren't exactly flush. Looks like a potential leak hazard if it rains or goes through a wash. Can you guys take a look at yours and see if you have a similar issue? Thanks.

​​​​​​PS: I have the Ultra Luxury (Canada) so I'm not sure if this is normal since it has the panoramic roof.

Old 09-29-22, 06:12 PM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

I'll check tomorrow, mine's in the shop...again!

Old 09-29-22, 08:22 PM
jatwell
Pit Crew

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

I just checked mine. I have the panoramic roof and yours is definitely not right. The rail is not exactly flush on mine (but much better than yours), but the rubber seals are smoothly compressed between the rail and roof. Good catch.
The following users liked this post:
Lakerstrg (09-29-22)
Old 09-29-22, 10:47 PM
Lakerstrg
Pit Crew

Looks like it will need to go in for a service then. Pretty sure they will have to remove the entire roof liner as well to get to the bolts that hold the rails in place. So annoying.
Old 09-30-22, 06:25 AM
OPorz
Driver

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Mine are pretty flush. I added cross bars and recently drove with a Thule rack for 2000 miles with no issues. See photos.

gb350h (09-30-22)
Old 09-30-22, 06:31 AM
Lakerstrg
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by OPorz
Mine are pretty flush. I added cross bars and recently drove with a Thule rack for 2000 miles with no issues. See photos.

Awesome thanks for the photos. Tbh, I'd be fine with the way it is as long as it doesn't leak. It's in a not so noticeable place so doesn't really bother me. But regardless this confirms that it ain't normal and definitely gonna get it checked out. Also for what it's worth, mine was built in Cambridge.
Old 09-30-22, 06:47 AM
OPorz
Driver

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Sorry it isn’t right. I would think it could be corrected by removing and putting in a new gasket. FWIW, mine was built in Japan.
Lakerstrg (09-30-22)
Old 09-30-22, 09:00 AM
blueless
Pit Crew

Received 91 Likes on 60 Posts

Hmm I see a gap under my roof rails cover. Will have to inspect further and post pics.
Is this a problem with Cambridge assembly?
Old 09-30-22, 10:16 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,657 Posts

what happens if you try pressing it down? While i agree it looks weird and SHOULD be flush for at least aesthetic reasons, any real sealing wouldn't be done like a piece like that as it's really cosmetic. all cars are leak tested before they leave the factory anyay.

that being said just take it in anyway and have em look at it and fix it since the car is new.
Lakerstrg (09-30-22)
Old 09-30-22, 12:15 PM
Lakerstrg
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by E46CT
what happens if you try pressing it down? While i agree it looks weird and SHOULD be flush for at least aesthetic reasons, any real sealing wouldn't be done like a piece like that as it's really cosmetic. all cars are leak tested before they leave the factory anyay.

that being said just take it in anyway and have em look at it and fix it since the car is new.
I really hope it's been leak tested cause I can live with the way that it is. When I push down nothing happens. It's solid, won't go any further. I also had some piano black trim that wasn't snapped In properly by the shifter that I had to snap In. Also noticing now when Pano roof is on tilt there's a slight buzzing sound while I drive but that can be remedied by turning the music up.
Old 10-05-22, 10:03 AM
blueless
Pit Crew

Not flush, and can’t press down, not even a bit. Pic:

Old 10-05-22, 04:16 PM
Lakerstrg
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by blueless
Not flush, and can’t press down, not even a bit. Pic:

Interesting, starting to seem like a common issue. Was yours Cambridge built?
Old 10-06-22, 10:39 AM
blueless
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Lakerstrg
Interesting, starting to seem like a common issue. Was yours Cambridge built?
Yes.
I stopped by the dealer today. They had three Cambridge cars with the same “issue.” There was one Japan car and it looked like this:

Old 11-10-22, 08:12 AM
blueless
Pit Crew

I was at the dealer today and asked about this issue. There was a couple of other 2022 NXs there to compare with. A Japan car had a perfectly beautiful rack , and a Cambridge car was worse than any of the photos posted above. The service guy recommended against trying to fix it because doing so may make things worse. I'm gonna leave mine alone.
Old 11-10-22, 08:13 AM
Lakerstrg
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by blueless
I was at the dealer today and asked about this issue. There was a couple of other 2022 NXs there to compare with. A Japan car had a perfectly beautiful rack , and a Cambridge car was worse than any of the photos posted above. The service guy recommended against trying to fix it because doing so may make things worse. I'm gonna leave mine alone.
same here. I’m leaving it alone, so far after numerous car washes it has yet to leak so I’m somewhat convinced that it’s just cosmetic.

Quick Reply: Roof Rails Issue