NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Extended Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-22, 08:07 PM
Doug007
Intermediate

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Extended Warranty

As I prepare for purchasing our NX350H I wondered how many of you purchased extended warranties. I typically have in the past but did so because I put in quite a few miles in my cars. Now retired, not so much. I've always figured that they were house money but the hybrid does have quite a bit of presumably expensive technology. Any thoughts and/or advice is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-02-22, 08:26 PM
scooky
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

I leave myself a meeting in my calendar for 6 months before the factory warrantee runs out. Consider then whether or not to buy one.
Odds are I don't need the reminder as someone will be calling to sell me one around expiration regardless.

I confess I did buy extended warrantee with my RC 4 years ago. We tend to keep our cars for 15+ years so thought it would be a good idea.
In hindsight I wish we hadn't. Nothing bad happened. Just waste of cash this time.
It doesn't just extend the warrantee; it replaces the current one which seems silly.
Covid, work from home, outrageous used car prices meant I decided to sell the RC at 4 years as my change in commute, and ability to get out at high price was compelling. I liked the car, just wasn't using it.
Received a partial refund on my "extended warrantee" but the vehicle never left the initial warrantee period.
I of course could not have imagined this scenario 4 years ago, but I'm sticking with the concept of evaluating the desire for extended warrantee as it expires, not on day 1.

Just sharing thoughts, Do what works for you.
The following users liked this post:
Doug007 (10-04-22)
Old 10-02-22, 09:10 PM
blueless
Pit Crew

Received 91 Likes on 60 Posts

From elsewhere on Clublexus, I came across this: "Factory Direct Warranty"

They sell the Lexus extended warranty at a discount to what a dealer typically charges. A few things to know:
1) The manufacturer-backed warranty is the best to get, not the ones by the dealer or a third party.
2) The extended warranty price is negotiable. My dealer offered the Lexus Platinum 8 yr/100K mi plan for $3800. Factory Direct offered that plan to me for $2200!
3) You can buy the extended warranty any time before the standard warranty expires. No need to commit now. That's my plan - See if the NX develops a pattern of problems that'll justify an extended warranty.
Doug007 (10-04-22)
Old 10-03-22, 12:52 PM
weaver483
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I got my Lexus Platinum zero deductible 8 ys. 75K miles warranty from Jerry Johnson (Warranty Manager) at Midwest Toyota Superstore for significantly less than the dealer's lowest price. I have purchased several extended warranties from Jerry and he is always very easy to work with and always the lowest price I can find anywhere for a manfucture"s warranty.
Call Jerry at 620-664-8844
Doug007 (10-04-22)
Old 10-03-22, 02:25 PM
Dkaplan
Intermediate

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by weaver483
I got my Lexus Platinum zero deductible 8 ys. 75K miles warranty from Jerry Johnson (Warranty Manager) at Midwest Toyota Superstore for significantly less than the dealer's lowest price. I have purchased several extended warranties from Jerry and he is always very easy to work with and always the lowest price I can find anywhere for a manfucture"s warranty.
Jerry is great! I've purchased three warranties from him.
Old 10-03-22, 03:26 PM
midcow3
Racer

Received 636 Likes on 421 Posts
Exclamation Insurance policy? Not Needed.

Originally Posted by weaver483
Yes, but did any of them ever payout so that you came out ahead? In almost 95% of warranties IMHO, the warranty provider comes out ahead.

Extended Warranties are one of the most lucrative means Lexus and other car warranty companies make money. Add-on items such as under-body coating, window tinting, and nitrogen in tires (what a joke) are also where there is high markup and high profit. . Extended warranties and add-on items and car service provide most of the monies in a car dealership, not in the initial sales,

YMMV,
MidCwo2
Doug007 (10-04-22)
Old 10-03-22, 05:49 PM
Pharbor
Pit Crew

Received 58 Likes on 31 Posts

75k is not a lot of miles on a 450 h+. I have 10k on mine and 3k on the motor, rest on battery. I might get extended but it would be for 100k.
Old 10-03-22, 06:25 PM
watmind
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Does anyone know of a “Canadian” Jerry?
Old 10-04-22, 05:40 AM
GXWes
Pit Crew

Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts

Don’t purchase the warranty when you buy the car. You just have to buy one before the original factory one expires.

This is a first year car. With significant issues so far. If you plan on keeping the vehicle more than 4 years. It will be worth it. Especially because of the 1st generation display electronics it has.
Doug007 (10-04-22)
Old 10-04-22, 06:50 AM
Dkaplan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GXWes
Don’t purchase the warranty when you buy the car. You just have to buy one before the original factory one expires.

This is a first year car. With significant issues so far. If you plan on keeping the vehicle more than 4 years. It will be worth it. Especially because of the 1st generation display electronics it has.
I agree! I'll definitely purchase the 100k warranty from Jerry @ Midwest Auto before my warranty expires. I'll keep my NX for at least 10-15 years and all it takes is any electronic component (including Mark Levinson) to fail and that will cover the cost of the warranty.
Old 10-04-22, 07:06 AM
Mkx2go
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by watmind
Does anyone know of a “Canadian” Jerry?
What are you looking for?
Old 10-04-22, 07:31 AM
Dkaplan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mkx2go
What are you looking for?
I’m pretty sure a deal on an extended Lexus warranty. 🙂
Old 10-04-22, 03:42 PM
GXWes
Pit Crew

Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts

Jerry Johnson sells discounted Toyota warranties

watmind is looking for someone who sell the discounted warranties in Canada

Last edited by GXWes; 10-06-22 at 04:00 AM.
Old 10-04-22, 04:02 PM
gcskoor
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

On the Lexus VSA 125K/10Y, I did purchased it shortly after getting the NX. I seriously thought about waiting the 4 years also, but I assume the then current market price in 4 years could make it worthwhile to lock-in price now esp if inflation is not under control soon. Time will tell, of course, the wisdom or lack of it. LOL
The following 3 users liked this post by gcskoor:
Doug007 (10-04-22), LStoneX (10-04-22), weaver483 (10-04-22)
Old 10-04-22, 04:20 PM
gcskoor
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

On dealer offered warranties, I had an odd experience at NX closing. The business manager tried to sell me only an Assurion warranty. I told him I was not interested in any 3rd party warranty and only wanted the Lexus VSA. Here is the odd part, he said the Assurion warranty was better than Lexus and asked why I wanted it. I did not feel like I needed to become Lexus salesman to a Lexus employee why I wanted a Lexus product. LOL He never quoted or offered the Lexus VSC either.

A few days later, I bought from Jerry J. about 1/2 of the 3rd party Assurion quote. Jerry is a great guy and transaction was quick and smooth. Other than that odd encounter, the Lexus dealer and SA are fine and the NX closing went well. Enjoying the 350h.
weaver483 (10-04-22)

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty