NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Brake Failure

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-23, 06:57 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 573 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by Xanadu350
I got a chuckle this morning after reading your comment about no human interaction in buying your Tesla. Ha It’s funny to think how far we have come in wanting to do business with no human face to face.

I have to admit I’ve been thinking about a Tesla and whether it would be a good fit for me. I can handle all the tech stuff but the cabin is so sparse and no instrument panel in front of you. I guess one gets use to that after while but it’s quite a shock thinking about the change. I’ve been reading and watching a bunch of videos about the model Y. I just saw that they issued an update to the suspension allowing for a softer ride. Do you have that? I think it’s only on the 2023 model Y (non performance version)
There is something to be said for ordering from a menu, imagine negotiating with a server at a restaurant instead of ordering from menu. Can I get mustard with that? Well, I could give you mustard, but you'll have to upgrade your fries to chili fries to get that". And if I take the chili fries, you'll throw in a free pickle, right? Tell you what, I'll give you two pickles for the price of one.

I was (am, maybe?) a huge Tesla fan for powertrain and brains, but I just can't do the Y or 3 interiors. Just too barren a wasteland for me. The exterior I'm kind of neutral on, but I spend 95% of the time looking from the inside, so that is as important, if not more, for me. I had always wished that Tesla would eventually license their tech and have another manufacturer build a different body for it.

Old 06-07-23, 07:06 AM
Alec150
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I got a chuckle this morning after reading your comment about no human interaction in buying your Tesla. Ha It’s funny to think how far we have come in wanting to do business with no human face to face.

I have to admit I’ve been thinking about a Tesla and whether it would be a good fit for me. I can handle all the tech stuff but the cabin is so sparse and no instrument panel in front of you. I guess one gets use to that after while but it’s quite a shock thinking about the change. I’ve been reading and watching a bunch of videos about the model Y. I just saw that they issued an update to the suspension allowing for a softer ride. Do you have that? I think it’s only on the 2023 model Y (non performance version)

My model 3 has a white interior and the Model Y is black interior. The black interior is better as it has a wood trim which looks very clean compared to my white plastic trim. I would go in both to compare. I’m considering buying a knockoff wood trim to cover my white plastic trim.

Yes, our model Y has the new comfort suspension and it is very sturdy, yet super smooth. It feels more comfortable on rough pavement than my Model 3. The handling is super impressive considering it’s not a performance model with the special suspension. Very good handling and direct steering. It’s amazing how for a new company that they can master handling and comfort. My model 3 is comfortable, but more bumpy than the model Y for sure. The model Y is way more refined than the NX in terms of suspension, quietness on the highway (wind noise, road noise), and smoothness. I think a lot of this has to do with the run flats on the Nx though. But heavier cars tend to be more comfortable. The Model Y’s lower center of gravity of course gives it an advantage as it feels super planted.

The lack of interior “material” does take some used to, but all the fabric is soft touch and feels high quality. A lot of anti-EV and anti-tesla say it’s cheap, but my bf was impressed coming from a Mercedes. It does feel slightly high scale than the NX except the white trim. If it was wood like the black interior, it would be nicer. No glossy plastic like in the Nx

I’m not bashing the NX, it’s just that I’ve driven both cars and these are my opinions.

If you test drive one you will see it for yourself 😏
Old 06-07-23, 10:20 AM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts

Thanks for the review.
I had read some reviews of earlier Y models and most said the ride was not smooth and the suspension was a bit harsh. Then I watched a 2023 review in which they said a softer suspension was applied for 2023 so I wanted to ask what you thought.

I’ve never driven a Tesla and the camp mode really sparked my curiosity as we have lots of hurricanes tropical storms here in FL and I read how someone used there Tesla to sleep in for days in their garage while electric was out. Amazing.
Old 06-07-23, 10:25 AM
Alec150
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the review.
I had read some reviews of earlier Y models and most said the ride was not smooth and the suspension was a bit harsh. Then I watched a 2023 review in which they said a softer suspension was applied for 2023 so I wanted to ask what you thought.

I’ve never driven a Tesla and the camp mode really sparked my curiosity as we have lots of hurricanes tropical storms here in FL and I read how someone used there Tesla to sleep in for days in their garage while electric was out. Amazing.

I had to deal with hurricane Ian and we had gas shortages for 4 days before the storm AND 2 weeks afterward. When I got a Tesla, I asked fellow tesla owners in the area what they did when the hurricane hit. They said they were able to fully charge up until the storm (obviously), and that the supercharger was up and running in 3 days. People say that EV’s aren’t good in disasters, but it’s actually better.

Also they told me supercharging was free during the hurricane!

I didn’t believe it, but was able to find it online;

https://www.pocnetwork.net/technolog...0(navigation).
The following users liked this post:
Xanadu350 (06-07-23)
Old 06-07-23, 10:51 PM
CdO
Pit Crew

Received 60 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Alec150
...The model Y is way more refined than the NX in terms of... quietness on the highway (wind noise, road noise)...

...A lot of anti-EV and anti-tesla say it’s cheap, but my bf was impressed coming from a Mercedes....

If you test drive one you will see it for yourself 😏
Before ordering our NX (450h+), I assumed we would buy a Tesla Y or 3; but, after test driving both Teslas, we pretty much ruled them out. The Tesla road noise was surprisingly loud to me... even louder than our old A4. (Note: They only had performance models to test drive and our streets and highways are almost all concrete.) The wind noise was more of a draw (both disappointing), though I found the Tesla noise to be a slightly more objectional higher frequency. The last relatively new Mercedes I rode in looked nice; but, was absolutely full of rattles... I would say our NX has one.

Count me as one of the people that think Tesla 3's and Y's are not premium/luxury cars. I classify them as sport cars.
Old 06-08-23, 09:19 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,175 Likes on 1,633 Posts

Shrug. IIHS classifies Model Y as midsize luxury SUV. For 2023, Model Y got extra insulation. Mine is supremely quiet, and i'm coming from a 2021 ES. Model Y, unlike my ES, has dual pane front side glass, as well as roof glass.

For me it was the strong structural, passive, active, and edge safety of the Y. Tesla has safety embedded in its engineering DNA. They test for edge scenarios like Volvo, not just to pass crash tests. they also will provide OTA updates that over time makes the car safer in terms of airbag timing, pretensioner timing, etc. based on its fleet data during crashes.

pretty much any car with a battery on the floor exponentially raises safety, and Model Y takes it a few steps further. also what's overlooked in luxury is how automated the tesla is. one pedal driving, green light reminders, no key needed, no putting in park needed, no start button needed. you just get in and go, and get out when done. all automated. also auto cancel blinker, and all the other automated safety features like if a car cuts into your lane or you change lane into a car, the car will pull you back based on cameras. also 24/7 camera 360 degree recording. i'm missing about 60 other things as well. love how the doors shut too. solid mechanical thunk/click. just all around the best and most joyous car i've ever owned and i've owned 19 cars before!!
LeX2K (06-08-23)
Old 06-08-23, 09:24 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

I got in an ICE car the other day and it was a mess. I turned on the windshield wipers by accident, left the engine running, and forgot to lock the car. LOL!!!!!!!!!! was immediately evident how much lag an engine and transmission produces too
Old 06-08-23, 02:02 PM
CdO
Pit Crew

Received 60 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
Shrug. IIHS classifies Model Y as midsize luxury SUV...
Profile pic checks out.

I really wanted to like the 3/Y, and assumed I would based upon reviews such as yours... I just didn't. For example, people say the Tesla steering is quick and responsive... I would describe it as twitchy... but, maybe the performance models we drove were turned up to 11? The one pedal driving doesn't suit my driving style. I went to adjust it to a milder setting; but, they removed the customization (I think they added it back since then).

IIHS doesn't have a sports/performance car category... maybe they just go by price? You're clearly a performance enthusiast; so, it is not surprising that you prefer Tesla.
Old 06-08-23, 02:45 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
I got in an ICE car the other day and it was a mess. I turned on the windshield wipers by accident, left the engine running, and forgot to lock the car. LOL!!!!!!!!!! was immediately evident how much lag an engine and transmission produces too
The new softer suspension on the 2023 model Y, do you know if it’s standard, meaning it’s always on or is there a setting in menus that you need to activate it? I was looking at Tesla website to build one and there is no mention at all about the softer suspension and how it works. How do owners know there 2023 has it vs a 2022 that doesn’t, other than testing the ride quality? I know with BMW you can adjust the adaptive suspension within the different modes comfort and sport.
Old 03-27-24, 04:00 PM
Tundepassion
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by FastFord
Yup I totally get they can't duplicate it. Dealer has been great; wish I could say the same about Corp.

Being reported to Transport Canada and will notify many publications to have on record.

I feel good that it is now reported and checked

All for now.... unless it fails again...

Cheers
Hi, please can you provide an email for Transport Canada? and an email for the Executive at Lexus Canada? I had a similar brake malfunction I need to report. Thanks
Old 03-27-24, 05:20 PM
NX450Guy
Pit Crew

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Tundepassion
Hi, please can you provide an email for Transport Canada? and an email for the Executive at Lexus Canada? I had a similar brake malfunction I need to report. Thanks
May I ask what year and model you drive? This is a little creepy…
anoop (03-27-24)
Old 03-27-24, 06:24 PM
Tundepassion
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nx450guy
may i ask what year and model you drive? This is a little creepy…
2022 es350
Old 03-29-24, 09:41 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

The new softer suspension on the 2023 model Y, do you know if it’s standard, meaning it’s always on or is there a setting in menus that you need to activate it? I was looking at Tesla website to build one and there is no mention at all about the softer suspension and how it works. How do owners know there 2023 has it vs a 2022 that doesn’t, other than testing the ride quality? I know with BMW you can adjust the adaptive suspension within the different modes comfort and sport.
Model Y got "comfort suspension" for Model Year 2023. I believe very very late builds of MY2022 got it as well.

The suspension is static, so no adjustments.

How it works is just revised spring and damper rates. Sorry didn't see this until now. Feel free to ask me anything technical about MY.