NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Brake Failure

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-22, 01:04 PM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts
Default Brake Failure

Today we were driving along at 40KPH, put left signal on, took foot of the gas, moved to brake pedal...Nothing!
Brake pedal went down far more than usual, one second later it pushes my foot back up and starts to slow the vehicle down.

I have driven thousands of vehicles and clocked well over 2 million miles. This has never happened to me and even thought I was driving slowly, it really caught me off guard.

Called dealership, come on in right away, great service as usual. Called Lexus to tow it in, that was fast and easy.

I just had the parking brake recall done the other day. Don't know if that has anything to do with it? Doubt it?

I'm sure they won't have an answer for me. Fingers crossed they actually find something, if not it will be a long road ahead.

Last edited by FastFord; 10-07-22 at 03:20 PM.
Old 10-07-22, 04:48 PM
blueless
Pit Crew

Received 91 Likes on 60 Posts
Question Rx

Originally Posted by FastFord
Today we were driving along at 40KPH, put left signal on, took foot of the gas, moved to brake pedal...Nothing!
Brake pedal went down far more than usual, one second later it pushes my foot back up and starts to slow the vehicle down.

I have driven thousands of vehicles and clocked well over 2 million miles. This has never happened to me and even thought I was driving slowly, it really caught me off guard.

Called dealership, come on in right away, great service as usual. Called Lexus to tow it in, that was fast and easy.

I just had the parking brake recall done the other day. Don't know if that has anything to do with it? Doubt it?

I'm sure they won't have an answer for me. Fingers crossed they actually find something, if not it will be a long road ahead.
Sounds scary! The problems sure seem to find you - Didn't you trade in your NX because you abhorred it, and bought an RX? Maybe should post this brake problem in the RX forum instead.
Old 10-07-22, 06:28 PM
FastFord
Racer

You are right! The deal fell thru. Another one is coming in but it's on hold for the ML stereo. Tundra on hold also. Darn, your memory is awesome! .

And yes it was scary. Total but temporary brake failure.
Old 10-08-22, 04:22 PM
Peterun
Pit Crew

Received 87 Likes on 39 Posts

The ultimate failure. I’d have them pick it up. I’d escalate it. “I do not feel safe in this vehicle.”
Old 10-09-22, 07:17 AM
FastFord
Racer

I did have them pick me up and called Lexus to pick up the car. Great service on both sides.

What bothers me the most is the trust in the vehicle now. I bet there are many folks here thinking it could have been me, and your right to think that.

I was going only 40 KPH down the street that leads to my street. Took my foot off the accelerator and glided for a brief moment. Moved my foot to the brake and slowly started to apply the brake. The brake pedal just kept going down and down and down. I was only applying light pressure because I just wanted to slow down. Said "no brakes" to my wife, had time to plan escape route (go straight), this all happened in 1-2 seconds.

Suddenly the brake pedal gets pushed back quickly pushing your foot and leg back very firmly. Car slowed down very quickly. Yes, this was scary. Glad it was at a slow speed. Weird feeling when you have no brakes even at a slow speed.

When you have a vehicle with a normal emergency brake pedal, you have an out, even a manual tranny you can at least slow it down some. I wonder what happens when you push the emergency button on this kind of E brake?

I just had the brake service recall done a few days ago and have only driven the car once since then. Not sure if this had anything to do with it??

Yes, it has and will be further escalated to Lexus Corporate. Happen Friday afternoon before a long weekend.

Happy Thanksgiving fellow Canucks!
The following users liked this post:
LStoneX (10-14-22)
Old 10-09-22, 07:36 AM
blueless
Pit Crew

Received 91 Likes on 60 Posts

The symptoms sound like a failing master brake cylinder or a leak somewhere in the brake lines. Very worrisome! The Mob isn't after you, is it?
Which NX are you driving now?
Old 10-09-22, 09:09 AM
Kusala
Pit Crew

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts

I'm glad you and your wife are ok. Haven't experienced this and hope we never do.

I'm also waiting on my Tundra (TRD PRO) it should be arriving next month as a '23.
Old 10-09-22, 03:38 PM
FastFord
Racer

Originally Posted by blueless
The symptoms sound like a failing master brake cylinder or a leak somewhere in the brake lines. Very worrisome! The Mob isn't after you, is it?
Which NX are you driving now?
That's what I thought, master cylinder. I haven't done a brake and fluid change in years but that's sort of what it felt like when you bleed the brakes. I did check the garage floor and it's clean.
No Mob as far as I know, lol. Driving the same NX, apparently, I was a day late getting back to dealer on the Black RX, but they have a Silver one coming in soon it's missing the ML so she's on hold.

Kusala, the owner has a TRD Pro, white and red, driven it a couple of times, oohh it's really nice. BUT he won't sell it to me because he can't get another one till January. They finally have power seat for the passenger! Not just forward and back. That's a deal breaker for my wife. She likes to adjust seating position a lot, back-pain.
Old 10-11-22, 10:20 AM
FastFord
Racer

Called Lexus Corporate today. They apologized for the problem but were certainly not too receptive to the issue. They only take this kind of information from the dealer and if the dealer found anything.
They would not escalate the issue, nor would they transfer me to anyone other than the help desk.
Experience Amazing. Not with the customer service.
No big deal for me, went through this with the Hesitation issue on my 2016 RX. Finally, after months they issued a TSB
No update yet.
Cheers.
Old 10-13-22, 09:05 AM
FastFord
Racer

Update. Got in touch with the Director of Lexus Canada, no thanks to the help desk.

Lots of action now. Still without the car, but they are working to determine what happened. Dealer said they were not able to duplicate the problem. They are downloading data and sending it to the tech team at Lexus for review. Very happy with the concern they have shown, both my dealer and Lexus Canada.

Keep you posted when I know more.
The following 3 users liked this post by FastFord:
jardlr (10-14-22), Kusala (10-13-22), mbezzo (10-13-22)
Old 10-13-22, 09:28 AM
ViMat
Driver

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

@FastFord Can you please clarify what NX model has these break issues? 250, 350, 350h, or 450h+?
redhot47fl (10-13-22)
Old 10-13-22, 12:42 PM
FastFord
Racer

It's a 2022 NX350 F Sport 3, Built in Japan. Not sure I would say any of the NX models have brake issues. I had one isolated temporary brake failure, and according to Lexus, it's the first one. No need to panic, let's wait and see what they find.

Last edited by FastFord; 10-13-22 at 05:01 PM. Reason: can't spell lol
Old 10-14-22, 03:17 PM
FastFord
Racer

Update...Nothing to report. Lexus Dealer is keeping my car for the weekend.
One thing to report, the 2022 NX is nothing like the 2020 or 2021 NX I am driving as loaner. Nothing!
Old 10-14-22, 03:22 PM
mbezzo
Pit Crew

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

Haha! I bet it's pretty rough going back to the previous generation! Hope ya hear something soon...
Old 10-14-22, 03:23 PM
FastFord
Racer

Me too! Thanks
mbezzo (10-14-22)

Quick Reply: Brake Failure